Decision made: S197 to ESP for 2010 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 10-01-2009, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Decision made: S197 to ESP for 2010

I'm starting my move to E Street Prepared for with my 2007 GT. In fact I already have some stuff done, plan to have some more done by next week, and hope to get some early shake down time by the 11th.

The current plan is for this to be the ride for most, if not all of the 2010 Solo National season. We'll see what we can do with one....

I don't really blog, or anything like that, but some have asked me to let them know if/when I decided to do this as they were interested in the build. So I'm letting them know.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-01-2009, 11:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Very cool, Sam. What are you starting with, in terms of changes?

When my Shelby sells, I'm going to be without an autocross car for awhile...I could see finding an early S197 and building it into an ESP ride, eventually. I think you could build a winning car and still have something that would be every bit as good as the Shelby around town...but lots faster

post #3 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I'm one of the ones who's dropped that hint a few times, so you know I'm going to be following along.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 10-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Didn't you get the memo, build a WRX ?

This will be a cool project. The S197's have a ton of potential and watching Madarash/Strano/<the fast wrx guy, Greg?> shoot it out will be a hoot and bring back memories of the Strano/Jorgensen wars back at Forbes.

DaveW
post #5 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 03:26 PM

So, is the GT500 on the same line in ESP? All it says is "Mustang (‘05+) (S197)"
(Just thinking 540 hp would be nice)

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #6 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
So, is the GT500 on the same line in ESP? All it says is "Mustang (‘05+) (S197)"
I doubt it. Doesn't the stock GT500 go to B Stock or something?

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #7 of 33 Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 PM

I can't believe your going to turn a perfectly good FS car into another ESP monster......J/K! Keep us posted after the first event. You going to FedEx? Are you able to share any "stuff done" at this time?

Good luck with the build,

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-04-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfhp View Post
Pretty sure it's an ESP car, but that's a HUGE amount of weight over the nose of the car. Iron 5.4, supercharger, intercooler...

Got Vic?
post #9 of 33 Old 10-04-2009, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Went back to double check. The GT500 actually starts out in A Stock. I guess it goes to ESP because I don't see anything else listed for GT500 in Street Prepared

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #10 of 33 Old 10-05-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Not ready to start releasing information, better to get some stuff done and start doing some shake down first. I just wanted to make you guys aware I was doing this, and this is, in part, how I figure out what to do for you guys when you call.

Madarash and McCance were fast this year, I noticed. And if I can't make the Mustang run, I have my Camaro as a fall back (being proven). I ran it yesterday in fact to reset a baseline--it's still fast. Just need a new project!

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #11 of 33 Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
... I ran it yesterday in fact to reset a baseline--it's still fast. Just need a new project!

Sam, your record speaks for itself and ever since I started autocrossing with CPR last year I've heard about you and your skill level. When you made your first run yesterday I knew you'd be fast, but when you ripped off a 51.9 on cold tires on your first run and the fastest guys to run before you ran 52.5's on their best runs with warm tires my jaw dropped. I was absolutely amazed. In any motorsport hobby there is usually someone with hype surrounding them, unfortunately most don't live up to it. Suffice to say you do and then some as was made evident to me yesterday. I can see without a doubt now why you are the champion that you are. It was a real treat getting to see you run yesterday... I hope if nothing else you got a laugh out of watching me and my sideways and reverse through the finish line antics. The old drag racer in me just keeps wanting to put that pedal on the right to the floor at all times.

Best of luck to you in your new ESP endeavor, I for one can't wait to see the results and I hope to see you at more of our local events.

-1995 GT Convertible show/strip project
12.03 @112.5MPH NA 302; 11.50 @121mph NA 331
-1994 Cobra...SOLD
post #12 of 33 Old 10-06-2009, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killercanary View Post
Sam, your record speaks for itself and ever since I started autocrossing with CPR last year I've heard about you and your skill level. When you made your first run yesterday I knew you'd be fast, but when you ripped off a 51.9 on cold tires on your first run and the fastest guys to run before you ran 52.5's on their best runs with warm tires my jaw dropped. I was absolutely amazed. In any motorsport hobby there is usually someone with hype surrounding them, unfortunately most don't live up to it. Suffice to say you do and then some as was made evident to me yesterday. I can see without a doubt now why you are the champion that you are. It was a real treat getting to see you run yesterday... I hope if nothing else you got a laugh out of watching me and my sideways and reverse through the finish line antics. The old drag racer in me just keeps wanting to put that pedal on the right to the floor at all times.

Best of luck to you in your new ESP endeavor, I for one can't wait to see the results and I hope to see you at more of our local events.
That's very kind of you to say... Thank you. I guess it's not too bad for a car that I've raced once this year on a set of two year old tires I bought from Jim Pahel.

The second run I was @ 50.9, and ended up coning a 50.3 and stood on a 50.5. And had riders on all my runs but the coned 50.3 too. For those that weren't there (which is everyone else), the 52.5's were made by Corvettes, a Z06 and a Grand Sport.

And I do appreciate you letting me know the fan switch was hit and it was running. Would have sucked to have had a dead battery! I see some potential there in your driving. And it might not be all you, fwiw. For example, between a worn differential and trashed tires the cars are really, really, terribly loose.

As for the Mustang, I'm doing it for two reasons. I feel it's a better chassis than the Camaro, and want to see if I can do it. Doesn't hurt that proving I can setup a good car helps my business either.

FWIW, you should feel free to talk to me about your car. I know we spoke a bit on Sunday, but I can do SN95 stuff too, and as I stated aside from the things I carry on my own, I am a WD for Steeda and a dealer for Maximum Motorsports too. I don't always subscibe to their ready made solutions when I think I can do something a little better, which annoys both of them. But I think I've proven that I can think on my own and come up with a competitive result.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM

Last edited by Sam Strano; 10-06-2009 at 01:20 PM.
post #13 of 33 Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM

sounds good! I want to eventually go to ESP with my car, i'm keeping myself in FS now so i don't spend any more money i don't have while in school haha.

excited to see how it turns out!

2005 Mustang GT Loose ESP Prep
Check out my Automotive Artwork Website.
infamousjim.wordpress.com
post #14 of 33 Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM

I can't wait to see it run!

This is the build that I want to do...

Steve Rife
post #15 of 33 Old 10-07-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
FWIW, you should feel free to talk to me about your car. I know we spoke a bit on Sunday, but I can do SN95 stuff too, and as I stated aside from the things I carry on my own, I am a WD for Steeda and a dealer for Maximum Motorsports too. I don't always subscibe to their ready made solutions when I think I can do something a little better, which annoys both of them. But I think I've proven that I can think on my own and come up with a competitive result.
Quoted for truth, Sam has been helping me build my ESP SN95 Cobra for the past year or so and I don't know where I would be without his advice. He's always been dead on the money with his suggestions and he's the type of guy that will (and has a bunch of times) flat out tell you not to buy something if it's not going to make you faster or if there is something cheaper that will do the same thing.

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
post #16 of 33 Old 10-08-2009, 09:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
i too was there sunday , i was riding in the black m3 all day riding with my first time buddy who got an stn win! great runs sam and i hope to get some more seat time in my esp svo before the end of the year

best ET [email protected] , S-trim making ??? rwhp Afr165s comp cam , holley system max , d&d k-member and control arms, coil over kit, RECARO "SRD"S 13" Brakes on front 12" on rear .Shaved trunk lid .metco lowers and avo coil-overs on back .weight 3300 lbs
post #17 of 33 Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
... hope to get some early shake down time by the 11th.
Sooo,.....how did the first outing go?

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #18 of 33 Old 10-13-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

A work in progress.

Considering it was a first shot, it went ok, but there is work to be done. Day 1 I was competitive even though the car was too tight. Day 2, I got the balance more where I wanted it, but because there were 3 or 4 pulls out of right hand corners, uphill the lack of torque in the basically stock 4.6 and the stock diff killed me. It was mostly seat time and rough balance tuning.

On the list currently is a spring change, get a race seat in. Then over the winter get a limited slip in, light clutch/flywheel, etc.

I'll get it better, just not overnight. Building a car starting in October is never easy.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #19 of 33 Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM

Sam, if you're looking for more chances to dial that car in as you're building it, my region is running a winter series again this year into next year at NJMP. We're still finalizing the dates with the track but we'll have 4 events which will start in December and end in March.

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
post #20 of 33 Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm considering the Philly event on the 25th as well to try out the spring and seat changes.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #21 of 33 Old 10-26-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Couldn't make the Philly event, but got to another one in Hershey PA. Changes helped. My benchmark was a good friend of mine, and 2006 FS National Champion Jason Burns in his Shelby GT. I know it's good because we always run right together, he led day 1 @ Nationals in '08, etc., etc.

Didn't beat him by enough to out PAX him, but beat him on raw time on my 2nd run (then got stuck). But he had about 5 reruns, and was running on his Axis wheels vs. my heavier Steeda wheels. All in all, I didn't win by enough--but then it's not yet a real ESP car. Still needs lots of goodies like the light flywheel/clutch, a better than 21k mile old stock LSD (paper clutched not carbon even), a real tune, long-tubes, etc.

All in all I'm a big more encouraged with the car since I made some changes (including monkeying with the bar settings). It's officially the off-season now, so not much in the way of updates here until I get some more things done.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #22 of 33 Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

https://forums.corral.net/photopost/s...hp?photo=63750

https://forums.corral.net/photopost/s...hp?photo=63751

https://forums.corral.net/photopost/s...hp?photo=63749

Tossing up a couple of pics of the car in process.....

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #23 of 33 Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM

When will it make its national debut? Dixie possibly?

Steve Rife
post #24 of 33 Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Depends what I get done over the winter. Could be Dixie, not sure. Hate going that far with something that's not pretty well done. Might bring the Camaro, or if the weather sucks here, maybe the Shelby (since I can pick it up in Maryland and avoid the salt).

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #25 of 33 Old 03-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Any updates?

Got Vic?
post #26 of 33 Old 03-08-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhh, yes. I stopped.

See, there is this little thing coming called the 5.0 which caused me to stop with my '07 GT since I'd rather have a new car with the new engine and the Brembo's. For the time being will be back in FS with the Snyder Shelby GT (and some new tweaks we're trying out).

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #27 of 33 Old 03-08-2010, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I kind of expected that If this new motor makes improvements from bolt-ons and tuning like the 3v did, it should make for one hell of a package in ESP.

Got Vic?
post #28 of 33 Old 08-26-2010, 09:59 PM

Bringing this one back from the dead...

What would an ESP S197 build look like? Suspension parts, in particular? Who makes a decent coil over set up for the '05-up cars that would work with the SA Konis, as a start?

Since my Tiger's almost done and I'll need another project, I'm considering putting a real diff and wheels on my Shelby, for fun, and then taking it towards ESP over time. Eventually, stab in a new 5.0...
post #29 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 05:16 PM Thread Starter

It looks like this: "sam's phone number here"

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #30 of 33 Old 08-27-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
It looks like this: "sam's phone number here"
You'll probably be hearing from me next week. When are you leaving for Lincoln?

At the very least, I need some advice on best rebuild for my diff...I'm down to a "single wheel peel"...peg legging..
post #31 of 33 Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
That's very kind of you to say... Thank you. FWIW, you should feel free to talk to me about your car. I know we spoke a bit on Sunday, but I can do SN95 stuff too, and as I stated aside from the things I carry on my own, I am a WD for Steeda and a dealer for Maximum Motorsports too. I don't always subscibe to their ready made solutions when I think I can do something a little better, which annoys both of them. But I think I've proven that I can think on my own and come up with a competitive result.
You offered... It would be awesome if you could offer some FS suggestions for a currently stock 03 cobra. Could save me and others money with some expert advise from someone with your great experience in the class. Before you forget it
post #32 of 33 Old 08-31-2010, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdrvr View Post
You'll probably be hearing from me next week. When are you leaving for Lincoln?

At the very least, I need some advice on best rebuild for my diff...I'm down to a "single wheel peel"...peg legging..
Tomorrow... So next week you'll get nothing but the voicemail.... Back on 9/13.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #33 of 33 Old 08-31-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-N-Black View Post
You offered... It would be awesome if you could offer some FS suggestions for a currently stock 03 cobra. Could save me and others money with some expert advise from someone with your great experience in the class. Before you forget it
Pretty simple... Koni's and a bigger front swaybar. You have options on size, but I tend to like a 35mm over a 32mm to maximize the roll stiffness and try to best control that horrible camber curve.

I usually run the Steeda bar and a set of Koni Single Sports. But there are other options for bars and dampers (like double adjustable Koni's).......

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement