KW suspension- Variant 1 or 3 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
KW suspension- Variant 1 or 3

so after doing a bunch of track days this year, ive decided that the roush suspension on my car isnt cutting it anymore. it has way too much travel for my liking and is just sloppy on the track.

i already got a 4 pt MM strut brace and a MM panhard bar so im sure that will help but i want to go further than that.

so i can get a good deal on KW variant 1 or variant 3. variant 3 has way more adjustability with rebound and compression damping. V1 comes with preset settings and arent adjustable at all with hte exception of changing spring rates which can get expensive.

so i do about 4-8 track days per summer and drive the car when its nice out otherwise. so i was looking for some opinions on what other people would do. the price difference is about $700. so i would obviously like to keep my spending to a minimum but i also want to buy the right thing and be happy with my purchase and not regret it.

variant 1 http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...nt_1/index.php

variant 3 http://www.kw-suspension.com/en/30_P...nt_3/index.php

and also some of you guys who track your cars often. what settings do you run with your shocks?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Between those two it's a no-brainer. The Variant 3's all the way, for the simple reason you can play with them and not find yourself wanting more damping, but unable to get it like you currently have with your Roush stuff.... Sure they cost more, but it's less than replacing them down the road a second time. Changing spring rate is not a substitute for changing damping rate and vice-versa. And the V1's not being adjustable can't deal with much other then what they were intended to handle--which is what they come with, and even then there is no guarantee it's what you'd like. I mean someone thought every shock was right for a job, from the OEM Ford stuff to the FRPP's and on and on.

I don't know what your good deal is, but FWIW I have V1's for $1380 shipped, V3's for$1939 shipped, which is a difference of $559, not $700 (but it is $700 or so retail difference.... I just don't sell them for retail).

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #3 of 4 Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
thank you for your input.

ok well after just looking around on the internet for ideas and such.

would it be more worth it to go with a coil-over conversion kit from MM rather than doing the KW's?

i dont know what the best combination of shocks/springs would be if i were to do that, but from the looks of it it seems that the KW's would give me more adjustability than coilovers. but then i have the coil-over setup rather than an independent shock and spring design

so im just trying to weigh my options at this point and see whats out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 roush stage 3 View Post
thank you for your input.

ok well after just looking around on the internet for ideas and such.

would it be more worth it to go with a coil-over conversion kit from MM rather than doing the KW's?

i dont know what the best combination of shocks/springs would be if i were to do that, but from the looks of it it seems that the KW's would give me more adjustability than coilovers. but then i have the coil-over setup rather than an independent shock and spring design

so im just trying to weigh my options at this point and see whats out there
With what dampers? Bilstein's aren't adjustable. You could put a set of add-on coil-over front/weight jacker rears on Koni's which would cost you about $1250 or so... The dampers are single adjustable vs. double as in the V3's which might matter to you. But compared to a V1, I think that's actually smarter as you get a rebound adjustment you don't get on V1's. That said, the aftermarket kits, for the rear, aren't very good and the rear springs tend to come loose when the axle droops.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement