Power Steering Pulley - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Power Steering Pulley

I'm trying to find out if anyone has used a larger diameter pulley that they've been happy with.

My steering is overboosted and I'd like to reduce the pump speed to reduce some of the assist out. I saw drudis' page where he shows a picture of a pulley from Ford and I took the part number from it, it comes up as being for an '82 T-bird 3.8L but the part is obsolete. I also did a search and found some talk of using a Mustang V6 pulley but figured I see if anyone has a range of model years that they've had luck with before I order one.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 06:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
I had an old project car, a 1986 mustang with the 3.8 v6, and it is the larger diameter pulley like Daris shows on his website...I put it on my mustang...the one that has yet to hit a track ....anyway, I hope that helps some?

post #3 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
i was wondering this too. where do you find bigger ps pump pulleys. very good question.

1990 GT hatch 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I believe the actual part # and what is comes on (in the pick-a-part yards) is covered in the Junkyard Horsepower thread here on Corral. Just search for the thread the search the thread for "pulley".

Noun 1) Megadeath - the death of a million people; "they calibrate the effects of atom bombs in megadeaths".
post #5 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (161)
http://www.dariusrudis.com/2002_Power_Steering/

also, someone recently told me that there's one on some year Fseries that's even bigger...

'90 notch w/an "old school" cartech outlaw kit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
post #6 of 34 Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
There are at least two larger PS pulleys. The 3A733-A shown in Darius' website is a 6 rib and I believe that one is no longer available from Ford.

There is a similar 8 rib pulley that was used on SC T'birds. Sorry, I don't have that p/n but that one might still be available.
post #7 of 34 Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
There is a 6 5/8" pulley which is part number YR3E-3D673-AA. I have a spare if anyone is interested.

Eric Anderson
Alpharetta, GA

At Corner-Carvers, we're not happy till you're not happy

Last edited by a79coupe; 09-26-2009 at 08:42 AM.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-28-2009, 06:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Another way to help with the overboost is to cut the relief spring in the pump. I learned about it from the FFR guys, did it to my track car and it definitely helps. My FFR doesn't have PS, so I wasn't sure how well it would work until I got my track car finished. It's an easy modification, doesn't cost anything, and is reversible if you don't like it (you do have to buy another spring though). Basically if you remove the large fitting on the stock ford pump, the one the high pressure line screws into, underneath that fitting is a spring. Stock length is around 2" I think, you cut it (I used a dremel with a cutting disc) to 1 5/8" I *THINK*, then reassemble. This allows more fluid to recirculate in the pump, which equals less assist to the rack. If you do a search either here, on corner-carvers, or on the FFcobra.com website, you can find pictures and the exact lengths. YMMV.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79coupe View Post
There is a 6 5/8" pulley which is part number YR3E-3D673-AA. I have a spare if anyone is interested.
I took the engineering part number you listed here and cross-referenced it to the selling part number. The part number anyone looking to buy one at the dealer is: YR3Z-3A733-AA.

It's still available from Ford. I haven't installed it yet but it looks like it will work well. I'll try to also come back and note if I needed a longer belt and how much longer it will need to be once I get around to putting it on.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
I took the engineering part number you listed here and cross-referenced it to the selling part number. The part number anyone looking to buy one at the dealer is: YR3Z-3A733-AA.

It's still available from Ford. I haven't installed it yet but it looks like it will work well. I'll try to also come back and note if I needed a longer belt and how much longer it will need to be once I get around to putting it on.
Just installed that pulley last week. I have had it for a year or so sitting in the garage. When I bought it the parts guy knew it quite well. Guess they sell a lot of them.

As for belts, I went from a 84.5" belt to a 86.8" belt. YMMV.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #11 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 10:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I have a larger diameter pulley for sale in the classifieds. It worked well on my car, but I switched to the MM kit for better steering feel.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/show...98#post9227398

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
post #12 of 34 Old 10-06-2009, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupe de Surf View Post
I have a larger diameter pulley for sale in the classifieds. It worked well on my car, but I switched to the MM kit for better steering feel.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/show...98#post9227398
How do you like the MM kit? It's pricey but I'd definately consider it down the road if it makes the steering feel that much better.
post #13 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I like it a lot. The steering feel is much better and you can adjust the pump to suite your preference for steering feel.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
post #14 of 34 Old 10-07-2009, 04:21 PM

Is there enough slack with stock belt and tensioner to run this pulley, or is a new belt mandatory? If so , part number for the right belt? Car has factory air, smog etc.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra195 View Post
Is there enough slack with stock belt and tensioner to run this pulley, or is a new belt mandatory? If so , part number for the right belt? Car has factory air, smog etc.
As I noted above, I needed a longer belt. I have no smog, mix matched underdrives, and modified A/C system so my actual belt length is unique. Your belt length will be different but the change in length should give you an idea of where to start.

Tim ||||||| ||||||| |||||||

07 Subie Impreza - DD
92 GT SSP
XBL: Zexterr

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
post #16 of 34 Old 10-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (14)
I got a larger pulley from Dorman (my wife works there) and it works fine. I can't honestly remember what part # it is but i think it is a 300-003. I remember I took measurements at the time (width & center hole for pump)and matched it up to the one I have now. It's just under 6" in diameter and works flawlessly on my race car. It was also only a fraction of the cost of one from Ford (around $10) I think.

Silver 92 LX NEI Time Trial car
GT40 irons, 1.6 roller rockers, Edelbrock Perf RPM intake, Holley 600 DP.
273 RWHP, 285 RWTQ

Last edited by Britboy; 10-08-2009 at 10:38 AM.
post #17 of 34 Old 10-16-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Got the pulley installed today and that overboosted mess seems alot better now, much weightier feeling to the steering in all situations but just off center.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 10-19-2009 at 06:05 PM.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britboy View Post
I got a larger pulley from Dorman (my wife works there) and it works fine. I can't honestly remember what part # it is but i think it is a 300-003. I remember I took measurements at the time (width & center hole for pump)and matched it up to the one I have now. It's just under 6" in diameter and works flawlessly on my race car. It was also only a fraction of the cost of one from Ford (around $10) I think.
Sweet! Thanks for the tip!

Looking at doing the pulley, cutting the spring, and installing a rack off of a new-edge car. Plus the requisite rack bushings and MM shaft

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #19 of 34 Old 10-22-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britboy View Post

Thx for the info man!

I went to Schuck's and bought the PS pulley p/n 300-003 for ~$10. I installed it on my '86 5.0. The change is noticable. It took me a few days to really notice it. But eventually the difference became more and more clear. Still not ideal. But better.

So here is the info I gathered on my install that may be of interest to anyone that cares about specifics.

Stock Pulley Diameter = 5.33 inches
Doorman Pulley Diameter = 5.8125 inches
-I divided "Stock" size by "Doorman" size and got an 8.3% difference in size. I don't know if that directly translates to 8.3% underdrive. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny.

Stock Pulley Weight = 21.3 ounces
Doorman Pulley Weight = 11.85 ounces
-Obviously 10ounces of weight savings isnt going to matter on a 3000lb car. But it does translate into less rotational mass that the engine has to spin. So I consider that a good thing.

cheers!

Noun 1) Megadeath - the death of a million people; "they calibrate the effects of atom bombs in megadeaths".
post #20 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 12:53 PM

Hey AOD, did you need a different belt after installing that pulley?

Thanks for listing the part number. For $10 I might just have to give this thing a try.

Has anyone done both the bigger pulley AND the relief spring mod? Is it even recommended that they be done together?
post #21 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_5.0 View Post
Hey AOD, did you need a different belt after installing that pulley?

Thanks for listing the part number. For $10 I might just have to give this thing a try.

Has anyone done both the bigger pulley AND the relief spring mod? Is it even recommended that they be done together?
You definately need a longer belt for the Ford pulley, I also noticed a large weight difference between the original and the replacement (replacement much lighter). I didn't measure my pulley but I believe the diameter is the same, I dropped my car off at the dealer and had them try a few belts as time was an issue (I had none). I gave them the 2.3" larger recommendation from oktavius above and I think they got it on the first try (I also have no smog pump or A/C and have a combo of underdrive and regular pulleys on the remaining gear).

BTW, I paid less that $20 out the door for the Ford part number I listed above, so it is slightly more expensive than the aftermarket one but not enough to break the bank.
post #22 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aod109 View Post
Stock Pulley Diameter = 5.33 inches
Doorman Pulley Diameter = 5.8125 inches
-I divided "Stock" size by "Doorman" size and got an 8.3% difference in size. I don't know if that directly translates to 8.3% underdrive. Maybe someone else can confirm or deny.

cheers!
I think that the diameter wouldn't matter as much as circumference. taking the difference there. (22.31 stock/ 26.60 "Doorman") leads to a 19% underdrive.

I think... Again, someone else can feel free to correct me, because I am not really sure if that's how underdrive is derived.
post #23 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntchds View Post
I think that the diameter wouldn't matter as much as circumference. taking the difference there. (22.31 stock/ 26.60 "Doorman") leads to a 19% underdrive.

I think... Again, someone else can feel free to correct me, because I am not really sure if that's how underdrive is derived.
Well the math works out the same with circumference or diameter since circumference is directly related to diameter.

Your problem is that if the diameters listed above are correct, then your circumference is wrong. Circumference = Pie (3.14) X Diameter. So if the original pulley diameter is 5.33, then the circumference is 5.33 X 3.14= 16.7362. Then the new pulley is 5.8125 X 3.14= 18.25125.

Works out to 9% whether using circumference or diameter. Difference between the pulleys divided by 1% of the original pulley size = the percentage of difference between the two as seen by the original pulley size. The math would be different if it were you were going from the larger to a smaller diameter pulley, which is why you must use the original pulley size in the equation and why just dividing the two diameters is not accurate. So your math for getting the ratio is correct, the pulley circumference is not.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 10-23-2009 at 04:27 PM.
post #24 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Garage
How does one get a dorman pulley? The website I went to didn't do direct sales, just to distributors.

Si vis bellum para pacem

Alphabet Soup- Manual Lentech AOD, 3krpm stall UCC, MM TA PHB, CC-CO, AFR, FTI, LTH, 3.73, 333ci/ 420fwhp, S197 mufflers.
post #25 of 34 Old 10-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadsled Coupe View Post
How does one get a dorman pulley? The website I went to didn't do direct sales, just to distributors.
Schuck's Auto supply. Walk up to the counter and say "I need a power steering pulley, p/n 300003" Dude walked into the back and came out with my pulley like 2 minutes later.

Not all Schuck's stores have the same inventory. So go to their website and punch in your zip code. The use the search box to find p/n 300003. It will tell you which store has it in stock.

Luckily I did not need ot get a new belt. I had put on an 83.5" Goodyear Gator belt about 6-8 months ago and it was toward the low side of my belt tensioner's range. When I put the new pulley on it moved the belt tensioner's gauge to the higher side just below "Too tight". So I just got lucky. Guess you'll just have to take your chances with that.

post #26 of 34 Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM

Garage
No Schucks near me in E. TN apparently. Does anyone know if OReilly's or Advanced or Auto Zone have this part or can track by this part number?

Si vis bellum para pacem

Alphabet Soup- Manual Lentech AOD, 3krpm stall UCC, MM TA PHB, CC-CO, AFR, FTI, LTH, 3.73, 333ci/ 420fwhp, S197 mufflers.
post #27 of 34 Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadsled Coupe View Post
No Schucks near me in E. TN apparently. Does anyone know if OReilly's or Advanced or Auto Zone have this part or can track by this part number?
Do you have a Kragen? they are the same as Schuck's. You can get the part through Autozone as well.

Hop on Autozone's website and use the "Product Search" box. type in p/n: 300003 and it will show you the product search page with a field that says power steering pulley. Click on that. And there is the doorman pulley for $8.99. So you can get it through Autozone. 300003 is doorman's p/n for the part. so any parts vendor should have it listed under that p/n.

Just a general note on the pulley. It looks like it is made from several pieces of aluminum joined together. So mine had these little edges where the pieces were joined together. It's not one solid piece like our stock pulley or a nice machined pulley from March. So I took a small fine jewlers file and filed down the edges so that they would not chew up the belt and cause premature wear.

It's hard to explain what I'm talking about. But just take your a look at your pullley when you get it and you will see what I mean. Other than that it's a perfect fit.

post #28 of 34 Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
Well the math works out the same...your math for getting the ratio is correct, the pulley circumference is not.
I was using Pi R^2... the ^2 should have reminded me that was the formula for area... Note:should have.

Sorry, continue.
post #29 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 07:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by aod109 View Post
Do you have a Kragen? they are the same as Schuck's. You can get the part through Autozone as well.

Hop on Autozone's website and use the "Product Search" box. type in p/n: 300003 and it will show you the product search page with a field that says power steering pulley. Click on that. And there is the doorman pulley for $8.99. So you can get it through Autozone. 300003 is doorman's p/n for the part. so any parts vendor should have it listed under that p/n.....
Thanks, we do have an Autozone and I have it on hold. THANK YOU!

[Pi * (Dia large - Dia Small) = additional belt inches needed] This formula should allow determination of how much larger belt one might need by comparing the two different diameters.
Edit- with the diameters given above, it should need 1.5" greater belt length, IF your tensioner won't allow that much difference.

Si vis bellum para pacem

Last edited by Leadsled Coupe; 10-27-2009 at 07:31 AM.
post #30 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 10:23 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Sorry to come late to the party here but I'm pretty sure pump speed only affects assist at low speeds, like parking lots, and once the pump reaches a certain output pressure, a relief valve keeps it there. In other words, changing pulley sizes on the pump may only affect the RPM at which the pump reaches its "break point".

Steering effort is determined more by the torsion bar (aka T-Bar) inside the rack, which determines how much steering shaft deflection takes place before assist takes over.
post #31 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Sorry to come late to the party here but I'm pretty sure pump speed only affects assist at low speeds, like parking lots, and once the pump reaches a certain output pressure, a relief valve keeps it there. In other words, changing pulley sizes on the pump may only affect the RPM at which the pump reaches its "break point".

Steering effort is determined more by the torsion bar (aka T-Bar) inside the rack, which determines how much steering shaft deflection takes place before assist takes over.
Driving with the larger pulley at reduced RPM (vehicle speed is not known by the pump) the feel is better as, like you said, the RPM at which the pump reaches it's max pressure is reduced. For track cars, it slows the pump for extended high RPM operation which should help with steering fluid temp.

I did this in hopes of helping understand the reasoning that my car seems darty since I installed a new rack (and other components). It has shown me that the problem is in the rack and not my suspension setup as it has made obvious that the problems occur only in the t-bar's range of control and not the assist part.

I'll be leaving the larger diameter pulley on the car after I fix the rack issue for both the above mentioned reasons. The slight additional increase in zero speed/brake on effort is minimal and not a detractor for me.
post #32 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post

That is pretty much what I am seeing with my new pulley. Low speed turning is noticably different, up to about 1000-1500rpm. After that there isn't much diffference. So I know that ultimately I will be going with a saginaw pump and an sn95 rack.

But It was an experiment. and a worthwile one for $10. With the slower turning pump and the PS fluid cooler that I pulled off the P71 CrownVic and installed, i've not had the PS pump puke out any fluid after a full day on the roadcourse. Heck, the PS fluid cooler doesn't even get warm to the touch and I know there is fluid flowing through it.

post #33 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
so basically if you want your wheel to be hard to turn in parking lots put a bigger pulley on?

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #34 of 34 Old 10-27-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSMat View Post
so basically if you want your wheel to be hard to turn in parking lots put a bigger pulley on?
BINGO!

Or if you drive around the roadrace / auto-x course REALLY slowly, then the pulley is a good idea too!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement