will a dart based 351w weight be real bad on road course? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
fox3streetracer's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ocala,fl
Posts: 493
will a dart based 351w weight be real bad on road course?

i am putting a 351w stroker in my car,will never be autocrossed,some road course.i was going to go with a dart based block,but was wondering how bad the extra weight of the dart block is going to hurt the handling compared to the stock 351w block?i know the 302 is better than the 351w for weight,but im at leats wanting to go 351 for the n/a horsepower/torque.car is going to be torque arm/panhard equipped with non-coilover springs 850 rate front/400 rear.


88 lx hatch,ported track heat heads,f-cam,ported stealth intake,150 shot,6al,holley carb,3:55 gears,x-pipe,flowmaster catback,aje kmember,mm control arms,c.c.plates,torque arm,panhard,full subframes,tko trans,tri-ax shifter,ceramic shortys,sumped tank,tru-trac diff,lots of other crap i cant remember
fox3streetracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by fox3streetracer View Post
i am putting a 351w stroker in my car,will never be autocrossed,some road course.i was going to go with a dart based block,but was wondering how bad the extra weight of the dart block is going to hurt the handling compared to the stock 351w block?i know the 302 is better than the 351w for weight,but im at leats wanting to go 351 for the n/a horsepower/torque.car is going to be torque arm/panhard equipped with non-coilover springs 850 rate front/400 rear.
Go with a aluminum windsor block for around $1500 more

Griggsp512 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 397
I jumped from a 302 based stroker to a 351 based stroker (347 to 383). I had to change my combo a little bit to account for the additional weight. The biggest issue is that the additional weight on the front tires added to the understeer. I added more rear sway bar to get the car to turn the way I like. The dart 351 block is an honest 210 lbs.

I would do a lot of research and talk with many people who have built an aluminum engine before I pulled the trigger on that.

I read of at least one race team who fully builds their aluminum engines, dyno's them for specified heat cycles then pulls them apart and completely remachines the entire block. Apparently the heat cycles and seasoning of the block change some of the critical dimensions so they go back in to get it back in spec.

Eric Anderson
Alpharetta, GA

At Corner-Carvers, we're not happy till you're not happy
a79coupe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, Tx.
Posts: 4,744
If you are just doing an N/A 351W stroker their is no need for a Dart block
stock 351 block will hold 700hp with good internals.


Quote:
Originally Posted by a79coupe View Post
I jumped from a 302 based stroker to a 351 based stroker (347 to 383). I had to change my combo a little bit to account for the additional weight. The biggest issue is that the additional weight on the front tires added to the understeer. I added more rear sway bar to get the car to turn the way I like. The dart 351 block is an honest 210 lbs.

I would do a lot of research and talk with many people who have built an aluminum engine before I pulled the trigger on that.

I read of at least one race team who fully builds their aluminum engines, dyno's them for specified heat cycles then pulls them apart and completely remachines the entire block. Apparently the heat cycles and seasoning of the block change some of the critical dimensions so they go back in to get it back in spec.
Aluminum expands and contracts due to heat a LOT more than steel.
When dealing in thousands of inches in piston sidewall and deck clearances and such
it can be a factor for sure.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
r.barn is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Where the Navy sends me...
Posts: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by r.barn View Post
If you are just doing an N/A 351W stroker their is no need for a Dart block
stock 351 block will hold 700hp with good internals.
That's what I was thinking. Unless you're trying to build a real monster there's no need to go with a Dart block and its added weight.

For a bit of added strength with the stock blocks get an old ('69-74) 351W block.

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Patrick Olsen is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
fox3streetracer's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: ocala,fl
Posts: 493
not going to do a aluminum block.i was just looking at the dart sportsman block,which the aluminum block is alot more$.the reson for the dart block isnt the strength,its the ability for a 4.125 bore for more cubic inches,plus the clevland size mains for less heat.

88 lx hatch,ported track heat heads,f-cam,ported stealth intake,150 shot,6al,holley carb,3:55 gears,x-pipe,flowmaster catback,aje kmember,mm control arms,c.c.plates,torque arm,panhard,full subframes,tko trans,tri-ax shifter,ceramic shortys,sumped tank,tru-trac diff,lots of other crap i cant remember
fox3streetracer is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (33)
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Abingdon, Md.
Posts: 2,877
If you aren't looking for big inches the 4.125 8.2 deck Dart will get you a heck of a quick revving 363 without the weight penalty of the 351 block.

2005 F250 Super Duty Harley Davidson True Blue
1997 SVT Cobra Pacific Green
1995 5.0 GT Dark Forest Green
If you aren't living on the edge, you're takin' up too much space!
PGreenSVT is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Registered User
 
87Fox5.0's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Coast, USA
Posts: 543
How much heavier is the Dart Sportsman block compared with a stock 5.0 ('87-93) block?

'87 Fox C-Prepared Mustang
2013, 2015 Pacific NW Regional Champ
Car has trophied at 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 SCCA Nationals
Zero scrub SLA front end
87Fox5.0 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
If you aren't looking for big inches the 4.125 8.2 deck Dart will get you a heck of a quick revving 363 without the weight penalty of the 351 block.
What he said. This is what I built and it makes a real nice motor.

DaveW
DaveW is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
351w based stroker questions/dart vs stock 410vs 438 fox3streetracer 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech 12 01-08-2009 11:17 AM
New Dart Based engine toutlaw General Mustang Tech 1 05-28-2007 11:12 AM
dart based motors... GTmustang00 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech 33 12-28-2006 09:24 AM
351W based motor v. 460 based - pro's and con's BetterDays 351C/Big Block Engine Tech 11 07-10-2005 04:28 PM
351W based motor v. 460 based - pro's and con's BetterDays 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech 3 06-20-2005 02:06 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome