Setting toe help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 09-02-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Setting toe help

I'm having the worst time getting my toe set. I've searched some of the old alignment threads but didn't really find what I'm having trouble with. For measuring toe I'm using the string and jackstand method. I've gotten it set in the past but this time I'm just chasing my tail. I've gone round and round with setting it and right now it is completely out of whack; hopefully you guys can get me back on track.

Caster and camber are set where I want them -- camber is -3.2*. Caster is not measured, just maxed out on each side and set equally. Right now toe on the driver side is about 1/4" out and the passenger side is pretty much zero. My desired setting is 1/4" toe out. So, which side do I work from; toe the driver in and pass. out? Just toe the passenger out 1/8" and it will equal the driver side to 1/8"??? HELP!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-02-2009, 10:48 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Toe your driver side in 1/8 from where it is, so it finishes 1/8 toed out, and toe your passenger side out 1/8 from where it is so it finishes 1/8 out, total toe is then 1/4, 1/8 on each side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw98lx View Post
I'm having the worst time getting my toe set. I've searched some of the old alignment threads but didn't really find what I'm having trouble with. For measuring toe I'm using the string and jackstand method. I've gotten it set in the past but this time I'm just chasing my tail. I've gone round and round with setting it and right now it is completely out of whack; hopefully you guys can get me back on track.

Caster and camber are set where I want them -- camber is -3.2*. Caster is not measured, just maxed out on each side and set equally. Right now toe on the driver side is about 1/4" out and the passenger side is pretty much zero. My desired setting is 1/4" toe out. So, which side do I work from; toe the driver in and pass. out? Just toe the passenger out 1/8" and it will equal the driver side to 1/8"??? HELP!

post #3 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 12:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Make sure your steering wheel is centered first. If after you make your adjustments and find your wheel is not centered when you're driving straight down the road then you will have to readjust your toe.
If the wheel needs to be steered to the right to go straight then add some right side toe out and take out some left side. Make the adjustment equally and your toe should not change.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

Trying to center the steering wheel is what got this started. Solo Nat'ls are next week and I'm out of town starting tomorrow so I'll just be happy to get the toe set right.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 08:59 AM

is your car bumpsteered? did you have bumpsteer issues with the caster pushed all the way back? is it equal if you just max out the plates?

1990 GT hatch 5 speed
post #6 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

I have a bumpsteer kit installed, but have not actually measured bumpsteer. I have it set using the rule of thumb to get the tie rods as close to parallel with the ground as possible. I know its not the proper way, just where it's at right now. I also have not experienced any noticable 'bumpsteer', which is mostly the reason I havn't bothered to get much more involved into setting it correctly.

As far as caster being set equal, that's in the context of each strut top being set the same distance from the firewall.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement