Who's running TKO500/600's? Facts? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (5)
Who's running TKO500/600's? Facts?

I'm going with a Windsor stroker in my street car (95 Cobra) and may do some track days. But not the drag racing deal, so here I am.

Does anyone like theirs? There seem to be tons of horror stories on the net about them, are they that problematic? I talked to one company and they would shim the mainshaft? and do something to the shifter pads? to smooth things out while another had a $300 package he did to his.

Who has experience with these trannys, and if good (or bad) how were they set up and who did you get them from?

Thanks

1995 Ford Cobra w/IRS, white - Coyote swap with full MM front end in progress.
1994 Ford Lightning, red - HCI and Kooks in progress.
1993 Lexus LS400, grey - stock
2003 Infiniti M45, black - stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (21)
My limited experience so far:

The car:
-92 Coupe
-427W
-Build 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears
-TKO600 from Promotion with a Triax shifter

I have a few hundred miles on this setup and about 15 runs down the 1/4. The first time to the track, I ran 4 times. The first was an easy 5k shifting run to get the nerves under control after not being on the track in about 10 years. After that I was trying to shift around 6200 and I missed 3rd, three times in a row.

I had heard the horror stories of the 2-3 shifts on these and I was talking to some people at a mustang shop and they indicated that they thought it was probably more of a driver error and suggested that I modify my shifting technique for the 2-3 shift. They recommended I put my hand behind the shifter in a pushing position kind of l like when you raise your hand in greeting. They also suggested that I just push straight forward and not worry that I am going to push it into 1st.

Second time to the track I was shifting at around 6500 and was shift as described above and had no problems at all.

Went back to the track a 3rd time and again no issues until the last run when I missed 2-3 again, but I believe it was driver error again.

My experience.

'92 coupe-EFI 427W
505rwhp/498rwtq and climbing
current best: [email protected]
post #3 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 08:15 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Mine has about 1500 miles on it. The first one I put in the car leaked and vibrated horribly. Found out it was one of the older versions. Tremec agreed to warranty it and give me a new one. Great customer service. Since it has been fine. I have the TKO 600 Road Race Version. Their are company's that make kits to fix some of the problems. To be honest I would now have just put a rebuilt T-5 back in the car and been done with it. The trans is fine, but not worth the money or headache in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 08-28-2009, 08:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
i really like it compared to the t-5 it feels like 1st is toward the center of the car more but shifting it is a bit more work it feels like it can take the power. i know 1 thing its a lot heavyer then the t-5 when its on your chest

347, afr's bla,bla.. street tires (245-40-17kumho's) 11.29 @ 125 all motor shifting at 6k

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I have the TKO 600 behind a 550 hp 383ci engine in a track mustang. The only issue I have had was a difficult shift from 3 to 4. I talked with a local trans builder/parts supplier who recommended using valve lapping compound to mate the synchros to the cones. I did that (and made sure they were spotlessly clean afterwards) then reassembled the trans. Not a single shifting issue since.

I will say that the size of the syncros makes me believe that they will not last long in a track shifting environment. To call this a "racing transmission" is a stretch. I will probably be durable, but a bigger, better, carbon fiber lined synchro is REALLY needed.

Eric Anderson
Alpharetta, GA

At Corner-Carvers, we're not happy till you're not happy
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Never had any issues slamming gears at any rpm .......

as long as everything was dialed in right.
Clutch alignment, gap and throw out fork adjustment have to be dead on too.

I also think half problems people have are from just slapping it on
and not indexing the bell housing to insure trans is true and square to the engine.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep sitting down and voting on whats for lunch.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-30-2009, 02:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (20)
tremecs are horrible...tremec has admitted they have a shifting prob so its not all in the indexing of the bell. even though they admit it they usually wont fix it without a fight.

they also have a 3rd gear problem. they gapped 2nd and 3rd gears to allow the metal chips to fall out during the machining process but when they moved them apart they hurt the ability of 3rd gear to hold power. theres a few articles about it.

heres a few things you can find when you do a quick search

"Apparently – Tremec allows tolerances in the preload for the main shaft, and finish on the shift lugs that should be tighter. It leads to inconsistent performance (and if you’re a drag racer – the shift key is all wrong too. Wally can explain everything.) Tremec has a warranty that will fix transmissions that suffer from this excess – but only after the transmission is removed from the car and sent back to Tremec. Wow. How’d you like to plunk down $2k for a gearbox that may need to be immediately removed and sent back to the factory for a few weeks so they could have ANOTHER stab at getting it right? Meh." and at your own expense.

"There is a machining imperfection in the shft dogs on the shift rails from 2nd and 3rd. Because of the imperfection, it does not allow the tranny to be shifted at high rpm from 2nd to 3rd. It is not the case on all TKO's only a small handful of them. Our engineers did alot of R & D working closely with Tremec to come up with the why's and how's of the issue. Like I said, Tremec now knows all about it and even has the fix for it.
It has absolutely nothing to do with the clutch."

trans getting stuck in gear VVV
"Your going to hate this but............This is a common problem with TKO's. Happens a lot when cars a parked in gear, especially on hills or when the shifter is bumped while parked. While some say you can "snap" it back into neutral buy going inot the offending gear and snaping the shifter back, we have always had to remove the access plate in front of the shifter.

"Yeah, we paid a tremec dealer to fix the tranny that's didn't even have 5 miles on it because tremec wouldn't warranty it and i didn't want the guy to eat it.
Gotta love it, they have a fix for a factory problem and they are making people pay for it."

im on my second and LAST tremec..they are the biggest pieces of crap ive ever come across. i built my entire car myself and the trans is the ONLY thing i have a problem with..go figure. i bought a faceplated tko to avoid the shift problems with my first 500...it shifts fine now but gets stuck in second gear..so ive got to shell out another 100 bucks to fix a problem from the factory and have my car down for another 2 weeks, not to mention how many times i had to pull the trans and a 20mph drive home stuck in 2nd gear close to 50 miles....im not only going by my experiences...many of my friends have had these same problems. the tremec guys even told me they are NOT racing transmissons...they are for the older guys with the big block cars that want to get on there car ONCE IN A BLUE MOON. thats coming straight from tremec....what pisses me off is every mag you see they advertise as a racing trans. i hate tremecs and i will never use one again...i hope to god you dont have to go thru all the B.S. that my friends and i have gone thru with these transmissions.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-31-2009, 06:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I run the 3550 tremec it was built by astro performance in Taveres, Florida, it is amazing!!!!!
post #9 of 12 Old 09-01-2009, 12:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I know of two people with TR-600s that both have problems getting stuck in gear. In both cases, the transmissions were brand new and unmodified. The applications are both in track cars, so there was no super fast or speed shifting involved. To get the transmission unstuck you have to remove it from the car. After a few removals, I guess you get smart and cut an access hole in the trans tunnel. In both cases Tremec claimed there was no known problem with the transmission.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #10 of 12 Old 09-11-2009, 06:53 PM

Angry

I installed a new TKO in my 418w Mach1 last winter. Runout on my QT bellhousing meets Tremec specs. The TKO locks me out of 2nd to 3rd at ~5800 - 6000 RPM. It is false advertisment calling the TKO a "Race Transmission." if you can't shift it at higher rpm. I can't beleive I have to take this tranny out and have Liberty Gear fix the shift rails etc.

post #11 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 06:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan MacDougall View Post
I installed a new TKO in my 418w Mach1 last winter. Runout on my QT bellhousing meets Tremec specs. The TKO locks me out of 2nd to 3rd at ~5800 - 6000 RPM. It is false advertisment calling the TKO a "Race Transmission." if you can't shift it at higher rpm. I can't beleive I have to take this tranny out and have Liberty Gear fix the shift rails etc.
Read this.

http://www.w8ji.com/tko_600_shifting_problems.htm
post #12 of 12 Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Excellent read, thanks Tom. My 70 Mach 1 is getting a complete body job this winter. After I get it back, I am yanking the tranny and sending the parts to Libertys Gear. My other problem is the Spec 2 clutch. It slips when you start really getting into it. The spec 2 just can't handle my hp. Keisler is another bad story I won't get into. My plan is to install a new Spec 3+ clutch (that I got at a really great price) and a aluminium flywheel. Alan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement