Auto X and Drag Racing - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 08-25-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (17)
Auto X and Drag Racing

I've been to a few Auto X events lately and there awesome! I love Drage Racing, but it's over all to fast. I would not mine getting my Mustang into some Auto X events. I currently have Eibach Drag springs and Strange 10 way shocks not installed. Would either of these parts not work well for me on a Auto X track? Since going to a few events with people I work with I'd like to make sure what ever parts I put on my Mustang would work well in both areas if it's possible. My Mustang was/is not a 1/4 mile dedicated car. It's just some thing to bring out in the summer to have fun with and including some Auto X into the mix will be fun

Thanks

91' HCI equipped GT/Slobra...

*I'm the Infantry follow me!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 10:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
wouldnt use those shocks or struts, get some good bilstein hd's and some hand r sports or super sports or road and track springs. then just start bracing up the chassis.

1990 GT hatch 5 speed
post #3 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
There's been a few topics covering this very issue...even some video by posted by "somebody".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM

I autoX'ed my car with Eibach Drag Launch Kit, Tokico Illumina 5-way drag struts, Lakewood 50/50's, and 275/50/15 Nitto drag radials.

The car got around the course, but the car literally moved the exact opposite that it was supposed to. I had more than a couple people ask me what was wrong with my car.

Now I'm on the other end, H&R Race springs and Bilstein HD's, autoX's pretty well, and I can still cut a 1.7 60' time on ET Streets(1.8 on Eagle F1-GSD3). I could see a 1.6 with more time on ET streets, but 1/4 isn't a huge deal for me.

For my opinion, I would rather have a car that handles well than a car that launches well. I spend more time on the street and freeway than at the drag strip. I feel much more confident in my car's handling abilities in spirited driving and emergency situations with my current setup than I did when I had the drag launch kit on it.

But to each his own, best luck with whatever you do!

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #5 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

2K, every time I see you avi in a post I think "DAMN!" You got one sweet looking ride.

post #6 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
I autoX'ed my car with Eibach Drag Launch Kit, Tokico Illumina 5-way drag struts, Lakewood 50/50's, and 275/50/15 Nitto drag radials.

The car got around the course, but the car literally moved the exact opposite that it was supposed to. I had more than a couple people ask me what was wrong with my car.

Now I'm on the other end, H&R Race springs and Bilstein HD's, autoX's pretty well, and I can still cut a 1.7 60' time on ET Streets(1.8 on Eagle F1-GSD3). I could see a 1.6 with more time on ET streets, but 1/4 isn't a huge deal for me.

For my opinion, I would rather have a car that handles well than a car that launches well. I spend more time on the street and freeway than at the drag strip. I feel much more confident in my car's handling abilities in spirited driving and emergency situations with my current setup than I did when I had the drag launch kit on it.

But to each his own, best luck with whatever you do!

1.7's aint bad at all. I wonder if I went the bilstein/HR route if they'd work well with the Hoosier slicks I have.... I'm going to go price Bilstein/HR and see what I come up with. I'm sure if I decide to swap to them that my new eibachs and strange 10 ways would get me a good chunk of the money toward them

post #7 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
2K, every time I see you avi in a post I think "DAMN!" You got one sweet looking ride.
Well spank you, I mean thank you! It's a 5-footer for sure. Seen it's fair share of external abuse, but I do what I can.

Saw this on our local photo site / local famous curvy road spot today. They're a little off on the "HP" estimate(thanks to my car)

post #8 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I guess I'd be that "somebody"....

Your shocks and springs are not at all useful for anything but making the car launch. The harder you drive the more the car will just wallow and ponder around. They are drag parts, and just like you wouldn't take a ProStock car road-racing, you don't want those sort of parts for uses beyond their sole intended purpose.

I think you a little bit away from picking parts, at least specific parts. I sell Bilstein and H&R. I might well use the H&R's, but would not use non-adjustable Bilstein's on a car you are trying to make work the best you can. Adjustment is a very useful tool in making a car work.

Won't surprise many when I recommend Koni Sports here instead of Bilstein's. Further if for some odd reason you would prefer non-adjustables, well Koni has those too--and for less the the Bilstein's with what I feel is better valving. I like Bilstein quality, it's just they are overprices for the level of damping and no adjustment IMHO. And bear in mind I'm a Maximum Motorsports dealer, as well as a Steeda distributor---on top of the items I do on my own. I'm not beholdent to either because often we need or want something different. This is where being independent helps.

And fwiw, I know a little something about autocrossing too.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #9 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
Actually no, it's me. I must've missed the video's you posted of you drag racing. So sorry about that.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post

Your shocks and springs are not at all useful for anything but making the car launch. The harder you drive the more the car will just wallow and ponder around. They are drag parts, and just like you wouldn't take a ProStock car road-racing, you don't want those sort of parts for uses beyond their sole intended purpose.

I think you a little bit away from picking parts, at least specific parts. I sell Bilstein and H&R. I might well use the H&R's, but would not use non-adjustable Bilstein's on a car you are trying to make work the best you can. Adjustment is a very useful tool in making a car work.

Won't surprise many when I recommend Koni Sports here instead of Bilstein's. Further if for some odd reason you would prefer non-adjustables, well Koni has those too--and for less the the Bilstein's with what I feel is better valving. I like Bilstein quality, it's just they are overprices for the level of damping and no adjustment IMHO. And bear in mind I'm a Maximum Motorsports dealer, as well as a Steeda distributor---on top of the items I do on my own. I'm not beholdent to either because often we need or want something different. This is where being independent helps.

And fwiw, I know a little something about autocrossing too.
What makes stange adjustables different from Koni,Bilstein, etc?

post #11 of 23 Old 08-26-2009, 01:36 PM

They're ability to handle high spring rates/react quickly. Basically if there was a damper to use as a poster child for NON-cornering activities.......that would be it.
post #12 of 23 Old 08-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limp Fox View Post
1.7's aint bad at all. I wonder if I went the bilstein/HR route if they'd work well with the Hoosier slicks I have.... I'm going to go price Bilstein/HR and see what I come up with. I'm sure if I decide to swap to them that my new eibachs and strange 10 ways would get me a good chunk of the money toward them
It all comes down to driving technique when you go with the stiffer suspension. You've got to be very light footed when it comes to launching because in my case it doesn't squat as hard or lift the front as hard.

IMHO, the torque arm helps a lot with launching, it puts a lot of weight on the back tires without a lot of drama.

When I go with the K-member and coilovers, in a perfect world, I'll have 2 sets of coilovers- one for handling and another more geared towards drag racing and weight transfer.

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #13 of 23 Old 08-27-2009, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

I've read on here that people have great success with Bilstein/Koni Yellow's and H&R springs, but later seem to go the MM Coil-over route. So many possibilities and styles to weigh in on here. LOTS of great reading

Last edited by Limp Fox; 08-28-2009 at 12:22 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

I must be brain dead right now b/c I swore I responded like 30 mins ago before I was rudely interrupted here at work - haha.

Anyhow Sam I appreciate the response to the pm I sent you. I value your expertise in this area has well has others here. I have currently listed my Strange and Eibach drag combo. Once I get them sold I will use the money towards purchasing Koni's.

I have a post on here to get people's feedback on the suggestions you made to me has well has a set of springs from MM. I just want to see what others opinions are who have used them.

I am not sure if I read incorrectly on here through posts or not, but is there two kind of Adjustable Koni's? A standard if you will and a set with dual Adjustables?

post #15 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM

Judd,

I guess I left that info out of my PM to you.

Koni makes:

Specials. These are Red in color and only have rebound adjustments (SA). There are awful to use since you must remove the shock from the car and compress it to adjust it. You do not want them.

Sports. These are yellow in color and come in two models, SA (single adjustable) and DA (double adjustable). The SA models only allow you to adjust rebound damping. The DA model allows you to adjust rebound and compression damping separately.

There is also an OEM replacement Koni that is orange and is nonadjustable. Forget that one.

Since you want to use the car for both AutoX and drag racing, I would get the DA model. You will be able to optimize this model to work for both applications better.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #16 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jack. Could you either here or in a PM tell me what it would cost for a set of Koni's shipped to Newmanstown PA 17073?

Last edited by Limp Fox; 08-28-2009 at 11:33 PM.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Judd,

Look at this post for a quick overview of shock and strut adjustments for drag racing:

https://forums.corral.net/forums/show...6&postcount=32

Once you get them on the car, I can go over the settings for AutoX and street use.

I don't do any sales stuff, and definitely not in public. I'll send you a PM with a shipping quote from the sales department.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #18 of 23 Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
[QUOTE=Jack Hidley;9122364]Sports. These are yellow in color and come in two models, SA (single adjustable) and DA (double adjustable). The SA models only allow you to adjust rebound damping. The DA model allows you to adjust rebound and compression damping separately.
QUOTE]

To state the obvious, there is a big price difference between SA and DAs. I wonder if the extra money for DAs is justified for someone starting out, with a car that is not a natural fit for autox.
post #19 of 23 Old 08-31-2009, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Same here leecea.

I have a oppertunity to get brand new Koni Yellow SA's for $400 shipped and I am about to hop on it. I feel if I don't I will be an idiot

post #20 of 23 Old 09-05-2009, 07:11 AM

Since this thread started out as drag racing, i'll throw some video in here....even though it seems as though the BAN-HAMMER has been laid down on the O.P.

This is my car, as I autocrossed it last weekend or so, no changes, no anything not even tire psi. Drove it there, drove it home. Nitto 315/35/17 NT-05's with a 1.89 60ft on a going away track surface.

My camera has developed a buzzing/rattle, so thats what you hear. Sorry 'bout that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cxg4EibZNs

External view:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...-09_705662.htm

Last edited by 2k2GT; 09-05-2009 at 04:46 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 09-05-2009, 04:22 PM

as far as chassis stiffening goes, you want to do most of the same stuff you would do to a drag car. full length subframes, good sway bars, maybe a strut brace in front, stiff springs/struts, and if its a pure race car, a cage wouldn't hurt either.

theres a blue notch back that goes to the auto-x near me in Bremerton, WA that is gutted, and he tears it up. If hes not the fastest time of the day, hes close to it.

1986 Mustang
331 with some go fast parts and suspension mods.

"I submit to the notion that too much power is just enough"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Tachy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Since this thread started out as drag racing, i'll throw some video in here....even though it seems as though the BAN-HAMMER has been laid down on the O.P.

The Fleet: 89 Notch, NEW 92 GT, 93 Cobra
post #23 of 23 Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I have my car setup for auto-x track alot more than drag and I still manage 1.69 60's.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement