Rear Coilovers - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Rear Coilovers

Has anyone used the d&d coilovers with the tokiko d-spec shocks? I would like to have rear coilovers, but maximum says that the tokiko does not have a strong enough lower mount to use there coilovers. I looked at the D&D setup and it seems to have a better support design that would take all the added stress of the coilovers off the shock and keep it on the axle bracket. Please any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-23-2009, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)

They look like the UPR kit. I inquired about that kit when I was trying to keep my budget down, but from what I recall, the way the sleeve slipped over the top didn't seem optimal. Something like that...I dunno. I ended up ponying up the dough for the MM kit. It's overpriced for what it is I think, but it gets the job done.

post #3 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 04:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The problem with using a coilover kit on a Tokico rear shock, has to do with the shock, not the coilover kit. The welding between the eyelet and the shock body on the bottom of the Tokico is not adequate.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 08:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Tony, I thought you had Granatelli coilovers? Or is that just in front?
post #5 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 01:51 PM

Fronts....It's MM and CHE stuff in the back.

post #6 of 17 Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

jack- what do you recommend for rears then? Going with the bilstein and your coilovers? I want something adjustable in the back but my power level is above your adj lower control arms ability according to your tech line. Is there a way that I could weld the eyelet on the tokiko?
post #7 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 AM

If you must adjust, you could step up to Konis...
post #8 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM

If you go with Koni 30 series (the standard shock for the Griggs coilover, at least when mine were made) do your homework. DO NOT get the light valved shocks. They are too soft even on full stiff.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Sterling Metallic Gray, Charcoal Interior, Brembo Pkg., 3.73's
SOLD:1999 Mustang GT SMC # 37
Dyno: 482RWHP/465RWTQ @ 13psi
post #9 of 17 Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

I don't have to adjust, but would like to be able to take it to the strip and then drive to a road course. I don't have to be the best at either but would like to be very well rounded.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-26-2009, 12:57 AM

There is no way to weld the eyelet on the Tokico. If you try to do this, you will be greeted with a nice explosion when the super heated gas and oil in the shock tries to escape!

My experience with the Koni 30 series shocks is not very good. They only come with a bearing mount in the bottom that makes the car noisier and requires very precisely machined hardware to even work properly on a Mustang. The top mount on the shock also requires some specialized mounting hardware to not lose bump travel. I've run into a large number of these shocks with broken internals. No damping, inoperative adjusters, etc. I just don't trust them anymore.

I would use the standard Koni DA Sport rear shock. It has both compression and rebound adjustments, has good reliability, and requires no special mounting on the top or bottom. Whatever you do, don't get the SA Koni Special that requires the shock to be compressed to adjust the rebound. You might as well not purchase an adjustable shock, because you will never adjust it. These shocks will be red. You want a Sport SA or DA, which are both yellow. The rebound on both of these is adjustable from the top with a knob.

Jack Hidley
post #11 of 17 Old 08-27-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
There is no way to weld the eyelet on the Tokico. If you try to do this, you will be greeted with a nice explosion when the super heated gas and oil in the shock tries to escape!

My experience with the Koni 30 series shocks is not very good. They only come with a bearing mount in the bottom that makes the car noisier and requires very precisely machined hardware to even work properly on a Mustang. The top mount on the shock also requires some specialized mounting hardware to not lose bump travel. I've run into a large number of these shocks with broken internals. No damping, inoperative adjusters, etc. I just don't trust them anymore.

I would use the standard Koni DA Sport rear shock. It has both compression and rebound adjustments, has good reliability, and requires no special mounting on the top or bottom. Whatever you do, don't get the SA Koni Special that requires the shock to be compressed to adjust the rebound. You might as well not purchase an adjustable shock, because you will never adjust it. These shocks will be red. You want a Sport SA or DA, which are both yellow. The rebound on both of these is adjustable from the top with a knob.

Do you know is the Griggs kit that uses the Koni 30 series (which BTW I completely agree with you on) can be used on the Koni Sport SA or DA's? I have IRS in my car if it makes a difference.

2011 Mustang GT 5.0
Sterling Metallic Gray, Charcoal Interior, Brembo Pkg., 3.73's
SOLD:1999 Mustang GT SMC # 37
Dyno: 482RWHP/465RWTQ @ 13psi
post #12 of 17 Old 08-27-2009, 08:24 PM

The Koni SA IRS shocks have a different body diameter than the Koni 30 series shocks, so I doubt any of the coilover kit is interchangeable between them.

Jack Hidley
post #13 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM

i ordered (and paid) koni coilovers from griggs in july and am told i have to now wait till mid to late sept due to koni being behind on manufacturing and not keeping shocks in stock.

i find it amazing that one country can say," that is definately white no doubt." And another country can say, " this is definately black for sure!!" And both strongly believe their words. This type of #### makes me want to sell all of the over priced over promised under delivered stuff i got and take up a new hobby. too bad i love speed and bangin gears so much, damn.

seriously though this is the first negatives ive heard about konis. i feel like i cant win.

and as for some bilsteins being the alternative, ive seen many pics where the poly bushings squirm their way out of the bottom of the shock on the rear.

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2ndsideways; 08-28-2009 at 07:18 AM.
post #14 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM

Everybody is gonna have their own opinion, you can always count on it. In times like those, it's best to go with what YOU feel confident in. That way if it fails, you can only blame yourself.

The Maximum guys haven't led me astray in the 5 or so years i've used their stuff. I know they're smarter than me...so thats who I listen to.
post #15 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM

You know they say opinions are like @$$holes...
post #16 of 17 Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm a real big opinion, then.
post #17 of 17 Old 08-31-2009, 06:03 PM

I tried using the illuminas, with the D&D rear coilovers, but the kit would not fit over the shock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement