Fox body w/95 spindles, Baer brakes rubbing on Baer tie rods - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Fox body w/95 spindles, Baer brakes rubbing on Baer tie rods

I have an 89' coupe that I have done a 95 spindle swap on. I also have the Baer trackers (bump steer kit). The brakes started as 07" Saleen 14" 6S pieces. I ordered the right hubs for the 2 piece rotors and new caliper brakets to fit the spindles. I specified to Baer that this was going on a fox body. The issue is that the inside of the rotor seems to be rubbing on the edge of the tie rod end. Wondering how much clearence I should have. Looks like about 3/16" right now.

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

83' Capri- resurrecting an old Street Outlaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Rotors dont move, so 3/16" is enough...

Darius Rudis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer
post #3 of 9 Old 08-21-2009, 09:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I'm not sure I follow you. Are you saying that the tie rod end has 3/16" clearance while you've got it on jackstands, but once you start driving it rubs the rotors?

My initial answer would've been the same as Darius'. If the situation is as I just described it, there's something else wrong - maybe bad hubs allowed a bunch of movement?

'89 GT convertible, N/A 357W, MM front susp w/425# coil-overs and Koni D/As, MM TA/PB rear setup (Koni Yellows, 390-430# springs), Stoptech 332mm / 12" Baers, MM 6 point rollbar, Maier 1.5" flared fenders & quarters, 18x9.5" front/18x10.5" rear Enkei RPF-1s (street), 18x10" CCW C-10s (track), etc...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2009, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

The car is on the ground now. I measured the gap with a feeler gauge and there is about .072. I heard the rubbing when I spun the tires while the car was off the ground and the wheels bolted on. I noticed the rotors had scrape marks and they are in line to the tie rods. It's not a deep gouge, just light surface rust that is missing compared to the rest of the rotor. I will jack it up and see if there is play in the hubs. I did get them from a junkyard to do the swap so it's possible they are bad. All I did was give them a qick spin and a glance since I got spindles, brakes and lines for $250. Yes I am talking about the Baer brakes. I didn't want the guy to change his mind so I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking things over. Just wanted to get out before he figured out he was making a HUGE mistake with the price.

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -

post #5 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 12:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Wow, that's a freakin' deal!!! Hopefully you can figure out the issue pretty easily. New hubs aren't that expensive, and might be a smart investment just due to the fact you don't know how "used" the used ones are.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm in too far to turn back now. Here's what I got for $250.

[IMG][/IMG]

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -

post #7 of 9 Old 08-23-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Here are some pics I took. Kinda fuzzy but will give you an idea of how close it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

Darius,

Nice work with the torque stripe. Did alot of that as a helicpter mech in the Marines.

Also should I be worried about the .072 gap since it is nowhere near the 3/16" I stated earlier? I looked up the linear expansion of steel and it is 12EE-6/*C, so I should be good, but I have no real experience with real world application. Thanks for everyone's help.

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -

post #8 of 9 Old 08-24-2009, 12:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Can you shim everything outward?
EX: Spacer the rotor from the hub with a shim, and spacer the caliper from the
spindle with a shim, both of the same size?

Darius Rudis

1989 Mustang S-trim Roadracer

Last edited by drudis; 08-26-2009 at 10:22 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

I suppose I could. I can't think of a reson why that wouldn't work. Thanks! I am going to see what happens after I get the car running and if it rubs I will try this. Haven't had a chance to check the hubs, so that remains the possible cause but we'll see. Thanks again.

93' Hatch - Wife's toy
13' GT - Wife's DD -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement