axle length question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
axle length question

Just measured the axles I took out of my fox rear, which I replaced with North Racecars Yukon fox axles. I was under the impression the axles that came out were SN95, but these axles are about 1.25" give or take longer than the NRC Yukon axles, ####. These are the '99-'04 axles arent they? They fit rotors and are are 5 lug. Now Im gonna need to run even more spacer to get the wheel where I had it. I had got this rear used, it came with super coupe rear calipers and rotors. Im told these calipers are useless for a 5 lug convrsn due to the piston being too big to control brake bias?

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

anyone?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

this doesnt make any ####ing sense though bc a 99+ axle cant be used with a fox width rear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-10-2009, 04:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
It makes perfect sense. Ford wanted more track on the New Edge ('99-04) Mustangs, so the lengthened the axles another 0.75" per side (1.5" total, compared to the Fox axles.) To keep from having to re-do the rear brakes, they lengthened the axle housing 0.75" per side, too.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #5 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
It makes perfect sense. Ford wanted more track on the New Edge ('99-04) Mustangs, so the lengthened the axles another 0.75" per side (1.5" total, compared to the Fox axles.) To keep from having to re-do the rear brakes, they lengthened the axle housing 0.75" per side, too.
Mr. King,

Correct me if I'm wrong now, but I re-measured my housing and came up with 54.10" brake flange mounting surface, which means its a fox housing. I was told today by a decently reputable source that 99-04 axles will not work in a fox housing. I re-measured the ?axles that came out of the fox housing and the difference is exactly 1 and 1/8th" longer than the fox axles are, not .75" like I thought.

p.s. You stole my last name....

post #6 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsideways View Post
Mr. King,

Correct me if I'm wrong now, but I re-measured my housing and came up with 54.10" brake flange mounting surface, which means its a fox housing. I was told today by a decently reputable source that 99-04 axles will not work in a fox housing. I re-measured the ?axles that came out of the fox housing and the difference is exactly 1 and 1/8th" longer than the fox axles are, not .75" like I thought.
Take my numbers with a grain of salt. It's been a long time since I messed with this. You might also talk to Jack Hidley form Maximum Motorsport. He deals with this stuff all the time.

SN95 axles from '94 to '98 were 0.75" longer to accomodate the ABS ring pressed on behind the hub flange. The distance from the axle's splined end to the bearing surface remained unchanged.

In '99 the axle tube was lengthened to increase the rear track slightly. The '99-04 axles were lengthened the same amount between the splined area and the bearing area. I THOUGHT the increase was 0.75" but I may have that wrong. Based on your measurements, I probably do.

The upshot is that 99-04 axles will not work on a Fox housing. They will only fit a 99-04 housing. If you are running the Fox housing, stick with Fox or 94-98 axles and choose your backspacing accordingly.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School

Last edited by gt40mkII; 08-11-2009 at 11:33 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsideways View Post
I had got this rear used, it came with super coupe rear calipers and rotors. Im told these calipers are useless for a 5 lug convrsn due to the piston being too big to control brake bias?
I think the Super Coupe and the Turbo Coupe used the same rear caliper - the cast iron, 45mm single piston, which is the same as used on the 93 Cobra among others. I'm currently running that 45mm caliper on my 5-lug conversion with Cobra 40mm twins up front. I'm actually running a little more rear bias than I did with the same rear and the 73mm SVO/Lincoln caliper up front in the 4-lug version. So far, I've not had a problem. However, I've read that although the rear disc is vented, for heavy track use heat builds-up pretty fast. For the street and/or autocross this shouldn't be an issue, assuming a stock rear suspension.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-14-2009, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
I think the Super Coupe and the Turbo Coupe used the same rear caliper - the cast iron, 45mm single piston, which is the same as used on the 93 Cobra among others. I'm currently running that 45mm caliper on my 5-lug conversion with Cobra 40mm twins up front. I'm actually running a little more rear bias than I did with the same rear and the 73mm SVO/Lincoln caliper up front in the 4-lug version. So far, I've not had a problem. However, I've read that although the rear disc is vented, for heavy track use heat builds-up pretty fast. For the street and/or autocross this shouldn't be an issue, assuming a stock rear suspension.
Yea it turns out these axles are from a lincoln mark7 85-90 so im told. they are about 1 1/8th" longer than fox axles. these are also for sale if any one wants to make an offer. they are in great shape actually- bearing surface looks like new. i doubt any one will want them though.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement