help guide my suspension in the right direction. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 07-29-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
help guide my suspension in the right direction.

ive taken a liking to maximum motorsports, they have been quite helpful on the phone and all. ive just done my 5 lug swap and wonderign what i should do next.

95 calipers, spindles, hubs, rotors, pads, 94-04 balljoints, urethane control arm bushings, mm cc plates, tokico blue shocks and struts, ford racing c springs, stock isos in front, none in the rear, griggs std. length subframes underneath, soon will be putting in the through the floor ones. rear is just ranger axles stock width and 5 lug drums. im pretty sure next up im gonna do a strut tower brace, some sort of adjustable mm lower control arms, and upper control arms.

my ride height is wierd, my back right(passenger) is about a half inch higher than the back left, and ive been told its normal for this and it doesnt mean ive got a warped chasis, but im gonna be told im wrong.. everyone has different views. cars never been totalled, i rear ended someone going 15-20 mph and it didnt cause much damage, but thats another project.

mm phone tech dude said because my rear upper control arm bushings are shot i should just do the panard bar, torque arm, and lower control arms that way i can just ditch the uppers all together. but installing the panhard bar scares me. im positive i want adjustable lower ca's but am nt sure if i should splurge for the extremes or just do heavy duty, and then im not sure if i should worry about the uppers, eventually i plan on doing a phb and ta.

what do you think?

also my pedals a little spongy, should i worry that it wont stop me in case of an emergency, or is it just going to be soft. im gonna get 4 wheel disc and at least pbr calipers for the front before i mess with the master cyl and booster.

thanks for the help

1990 GT hatch 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I ran C springs on the 86 for more than 12 years. After the initial install, one rear side was higher than the other. I swapped springs side-to side thinking damaged chassis; result was the same on the same side. After some reaserarch I found that the front height can affect the rear and placement of the spring on the perch can result in different heights - i.e., you can clock the spring to gain or lose a little height on each side to dial it in. You can also play with the isos - using none, rubber and/or poly in combinations to get the ride right. It takes a while but if you are persistent and patent, the result will be like mine: less than 1/8" difference side to side, assuming no damage (mine wasn't). No matter, IMHO the C springs put the rear too high compared to the front anyway.

Regarding your brake pedal softness, you went from a stock 60mm caliper to an sn95 single piston 66mm caliper, but kept the same M/C designed for the smaller caliper piston. Hence, your pedal went soft/long. The only solution is to increase the M/C piston size. However, since you plan to upgrade to rear discs (soon I hope given the safety factor), then you might want to wait. If you upgrade the M/C to the larger piston in anticpation of the rear disc swap, you will probably end up with a very hard/short pedal (M/C piston too large for the calipers) until you do the swap. Keep this balancing thing in mind; the brakes are a system - one size does not fit all.

post #3 of 4 Old 08-03-2009, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
my alignment is :----left-----right--
caster 2.87 2.92
camber -.66 -.70
toe -.14 -.15

1990 GT hatch 5 speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2009, 10:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I would listen to MM guys.

And I would save up, and buy package, ie rear package first, not individual parts.

Buying the entire package will not only save you money but alot of grief.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement