Is it worth it to upgrade from the stock sway bars on a 92 FoX? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Is it worth it to upgrade from the stock sway bars on a 92 FoX?

just wondering if it is worth it or are the stock sway bars good enough for AutoXing? and if i were to upgrade which brand to go with?
thanks in advance

NY
92 Red Notch 5spd w/ B&G Kit Powered by MS2 V3 running Extra Code-----SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-26-2009, 11:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
If your Stang was a factory 5.0L, your sway bars should be 1 5/16" frt and 13/16" out back. That was the largest factory Bars available as far as I know. They should be fine for Auto-X. Just be sure your front end links are not worn.

Run your stang stock and and get some seat time.

Then you might want to get into more mods like Springs/shocks and Tires....etc..etc..after your 1st season.

Have Fun, I am

Scott

84 GT, 5.0l, 5spd, SFC'S,LCB, 5300C Springs, Koni Reds, MMCC Plates, Cobra MC, Turbo Coupe Rear Disc&North Racer Brackets, 5 Lug with Tri-Stars, Alum DS, K&N, 86-93 exhaust/Dyno-Max Cat Back & Holley Street Avenger 570....Auto-X'er
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
There are thicker front bars available. I know that there is a 1 3/8 inch front bar available. My 93R came with one. There are also thicker rear bars available but they came on SN95 Mustangs, some of them were hollow (Tubing instead of bars) and prone to breaking.

"Drag racing is for those people who don't know how to down shift and brake at the same time. "
DD '12 VW Jetta TDI, Race car '87 ITA 16V Scriocco
Cars owned: '86 Mustang GT, '92 Mustang LX, '93 Mustang Cobra "R" #58
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

i have already have had alot of seat time. My current setup is BBK spring with Tokico blue all the way around bbk rear control arms all poly bushings(swaybar/front a arms/ caster camber plates. and it handles great i was just wondering if a sway bar set would benifit me at all.
And yes it is a factory 5.0 liter and all sway bar bushing are new even the end links.
thanks

NY
post #5 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gtman View Post
i have already have had alot of seat time. My current setup is BBK spring with Tokico blue all the way around bbk rear control arms all poly bushings(swaybar/front a arms/ caster camber plates. and it handles great i was just wondering if a sway bar set would benifit me at all.
And yes it is a factory 5.0 liter and all sway bar bushing are new even the end links.
thanks
You're asking the wrong question.

Rather than asking if part X would make the car better, you should be asking yourself where the car needs impriovement and address THAT.

Does the car understeer or oversteer? When does it do this?

The answer to those two questions can indicate that you need more or less bar (or springs, or tire pressure, alighment settings, driving technique, etc...)

Otherwise you're just throwing parts at the car and praying that it gets better.

I can almost guarantee if you put a bigger front bar on the car it'll understeer more.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #6 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

it already understeers in a hard corner during autoxing.. I was thinking maybe trying more neg camber and see if that helps?

NY
post #7 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
it already understeers in a hard corner during autoxing.. I was thinking maybe trying more neg camber and see if that helps?
More camber might help, but you can go too far (the front brakes will get easier to lock up, the more negative camber you have.)

If you're understeering, try disconnecting the fron swaybar. The front will have more grip, but it will also have more body roll. Try it and see what happens. You may be faster despite the increased roll.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

thanks man i will give that a shot

NY
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 11:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
The car's camber curve SUCKS. The fact it's lowered makes it worse because lowering causes a loss of static camber. And the more the car rolls, the more into positive camber is rolls, and the less contact patch you have in front (you don't lose any on the rear being a solid axle). Plainly the harder you push, the more camber you lose, the less tire is on the ground while cornering.

Most everyone knows the car loves roll stiffness and needs it to work. Many do it with really stiff springs, I prefer to do it with stiffer bars because the springs can be softer and the car works bumps better. And you already have springs, that aren't super stiff anyway.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
just wondering if it is worth it or are the stock sway bars good enough for AutoXing? and if i were to upgrade which brand to go with?
thanks in advance
https://forums.corral.net/forums/show...y+bar+upgrades

post #11 of 11 Old 08-04-2009, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys for the info i will read that post and see what my next step will be thanks again

NY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement