MGW or Pro 5O - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
MGW or Pro 5O

Thinking of changing the shifter in my '96 to a MGW or Pro 5O. I did search a few times and found more in the SVT forums than here, but I've noticed more than a few of you show both of these in the sig. To be honest with you, I don't think the stock shifter is that bad. To me, one of the biggest benefits are the positive stops to prevent bent shift forks, which makes me a little uneasy about beating on the car sometimes. Right now I'm leaning toward the Pro 5O because; 1) One of/or the first names in short throws 2) Seems very strong vs the MGW 3) Still built about an hour from my home (ok, so that's not a very valid reason) MGW positives; 1) Adjust ability 2) Low noise and vibration. Everyone seems to tout the 2-3 shift quality/precision/smoothness, but what about downshifting? Is the 5th to 3rd or 5th to 4th that much better than stock? I do find myself hunting for 3rd at times, as the stock shifter does seem vague in those senairos, or maybe it's a user error. Sorry this is so long winded and I may be splitting hairs, but I want to get the best purpose shifter the first time. Pros and cons?

Thanks,

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Captain Chaos

I have the orange MGW in my t-5 and adore it. When I picked up my car I had a grand total of 2 miles on a manual transmission, and I always had a problem with the 2-3 and 5-4 shifts, and I have never had a problem with that in my car. The shifts are always fluid and natural, and no hunting for gears.

Canary - Yellow 1995 GTS - Adam - Gamertag: Naldaen
Quote:
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
— Calvin
post #3 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i have an MGW in my mach
i like the shifter a lot however it is very notchy...
ive heard the pro50 is smoother and very ncie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 AM

MGW! I have driven tri ax, ripper, and pro 5.0 and in my opinion noone else compares!! Most other shifters loosen up with use and they end up feeling really loose and cheap.. Not this shifter! The company has GREAT customer service, the shifter came with everything needed for install and its construction is the best i have seen in any shifter!

If you live in OK go to OKFMP . com

Last edited by BLK03MODULAR; 07-25-2009 at 10:03 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 AM

For those with the MGW, how solid is the mounting of the handle to the base? I've got a 3550 with a Pro 5.0 and it works well, but I need a longer handle when I'm harnessed in, Agent 47 makes a carbon fiber handle that I can bolt to the existing shifter but it's $170. Obviously MGW's handle is longer and adjustable and since it's $200 for the whole shifter, it's not a big difference in price, my only concern is that the pinch bolt style setup of the MGW won't hold up to the rigors of hard up and down shifts that go along with HPDE/TT and will come loose or the handle will move. I've never heard anyone complain of this, just see that as a potential weak point.

Last edited by MJ91GT; 07-25-2009 at 11:04 AM.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
They're both good shiftersbut of the two, the MGW is arguably better and will probably put the ball closer to you. The taller you are or the farther back you sit, the more important this becomes. But nobody has yet convinced me that MGW can place the shift ball as high and as close to the driver as the Tri-Ax with the Comfort Pro handle.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM

edit: my buddy has a PRO50 with a triax handle bolted to it and says its the cats meow
post #8 of 8 Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ91GT View Post
For those with the MGW, how solid is the mounting of the handle to the base?
my only concern is that the pinch bolt style setup of the MGW won't hold up to the rigors of hard up and down shifts that go along with HPDE/TT and will come loose or the handle will move. I've never heard anyone complain of this, just see that as a potential weak point.
I was thinking along the same lines as far as the handle strength and durability. I mean, it almost doesn't look as strong as the Pro, but I'm sure if they were breaking left and right, we would have heard about it by now.

While the adjustable feature is a plus, it's not a big factor on my decision, as I'm only 5'10" and have no problem with the reach... only issues with dragging knuckles...

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement