Trying a new setup tomorrow - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-24-2009, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Trying a new setup tomorrow

Using all parts that I already have but that have never all been on the car at the same time.

MM Coilovers 325/250
Eibach Sways 36/25 or 35/24 can't remember
Steeda 5 Link II
J&M Lowers (Stang Suspension)
Steeda x2's up front
Koni SA's
245/45/17 RE01R's

Last time I ran sans Eibachs with the stock 28mm bar up front and no rear bar. Car felt good, but my times were definitely slower compared to my usual competition. I've haven't tried the coilovers and sways together, should keep the car very taught I would think. We will see how the numbers stack up and the end of the day. This will probably be one of the last times that I get to run again since the new baby will be here and I will be plenty busy with the family. Tomorrow is a double event (day and night) so I guess I will be going for broke.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Sooo..... how did you make out?

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Well the car felt fantastic. The car was way more tail happy than it had ever been in the past. The morning event was a learning experience. Diesel was there and he can tell you how much the rear of the car wanted to step out on me. Later, when our night event started, I must have adjusted to the setup, because I was running fast with little to no drama and the car felt perfect. Honestly, during the morning runs, the car would under steer for just a moment before it would grip under no throttle, under throttle, the car would oversteer depending on how much throttle was being feed. For the "night" event after playing with the shock settings little bit, the car would no longer have that split second of "no grip" with the throttle off and would just turn in very nicely, the car would rotate and the back end was doing a little more work than usual, making the car step out just slightly to get the car turned in the right direction for what was a pretty tight course.

I have to say that I am really happy with the way the car handles right now. The street manners aren't that great, but they aren't unlivable either. Hopefully, I can find a good common ground to what I have right now.

I also have to give credit to Sam Strano. When I called him looking to buy a new sway bar, he told me to run what I already had instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I can only imagine how frustrating the car might be on the tiny 245 sized street tires.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 12:36 PM

I never had trouble with little 245s. I did have trouble with 325# up front and 250# springs in the rear. Even now with 350/250...it's a bit tail happy. Releasing some air from the rear tires helps, and being mindful of the situation of course helps too

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #6 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to say that the way it behaved yesterday afternoon was great. I could use a little less step out but I wouldn't want to lose that aspect completely.

Yes, 245's are frustrating. I'm looking into wheel and tire options as we speak. My original desired combo was the RPF1's in 17x10 with 295 Kuhmo XS but that combo is not cheap or free so I'm looking into options a little less expensive than that.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT1992 View Post
I have to say that I am really happy with the way the car handles right now. The street manners aren't that great, but they aren't unlivable either. Hopefully, I can find a good common ground to what I have right now.

I also have to give credit to Sam Strano. When I called him looking to buy a new sway bar, he told me to run what I already had instead.
Good to hear you got it dialed in after some frustrating moments with the shock/strut and coilover setup.

Funny, I had a similar conversation with Sam when I ordered brake pads and fluid. My situation was a little different as I was looking for a new front bar to use to help my FS battle, and still use the same bar when I jump to ESP. He honestly didn't think there was a dual purpose bar that would help the car now and I appreciate that. If he told be this Turnfast 36.5mm bar will make you FS king, I would have bought it. He didn't. Just another reason why I will use him again...

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #8 of 12 Old 07-26-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

The car is very tight and planted right now and the car rotates well. I don't think I can ask for much more. I'm going to try and shake the car down some more and make sure that I really like the setup. The course that I ran is the tightest course I will run on so I need to see how the car reacts to a little more running room. If I like the current setup, I'm going to move onto a larger tire/wheel combo and better diff.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 AM

It was nice to meet you, Chris. The morning session was definitely slick, and a lot of the cars were sliding. You were still able to get your car to pull some really good times. Your suspension set up is definitely working for you. I'll definitely have to make it back out there a few more times this year.

As far as tires, unless you plan on running a street touring class, I would look at a more serious tire especially if you want to continue in SM. I am sure one of your goals is to be able to drive to the events. I recommend getting Nittos 555R2's or an equivalent like the NT01, RA1, or R888. They will all get more traction than a standard street tire, but can be driven to the events. And if you ever decide to go open track, they are perfect for those environments. Those tires are a nice compromise between street and the standard autox DOT race tires, and they don't cost an arm to buy.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-27-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah. Tires are way up on the list. As an interesting note, Gulf Coast Region has made the Stock and SP classes more street tire friendly but pushing all sub 140 treadwear tires to a single class with one trophy. That open tire class still uses your pax from your respective Stock or SP class. Delta Region (Metairie/New Orleans) has taken a simialr approach.

With that said, I will be looking into the new crop of street tires like the XS, RE11, NT05, etc. in at least 275 width.

It was a fun event and it was cool to meet someone from Corral too. That lot is really small but they do a good job with what they have. Maybe Sunny South will expand to tirt area. Probably wishful thinking, but it would nice since they support local autox

post #11 of 12 Old 07-27-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT1992 View Post
Using all parts that I already have but that have never all been on the car at the same time.

MM Coilovers 325/250
Eibach Sways 36/25 or 35/24 can't remember
Steeda 5 Link II
J&M Lowers (Stang Suspension)
Steeda x2's up front
Koni SA's
245/45/17 RE01R's

Last time I ran sans Eibachs with the stock 28mm bar up front and no rear bar. Car felt good, but my times were definitely slower compared to my usual competition. I've haven't tried the coilovers and sways together, should keep the car very taught I would think. We will see how the numbers stack up and the end of the day. This will probably be one of the last times that I get to run again since the new baby will be here and I will be plenty busy with the family. Tomorrow is a double event (day and night) so I guess I will be going for broke.
Are you doing an auto-x event or a HPDE? You'll probably really like the RE01Rs if you haven't run them before.

Clint

1995 3000GT VR-4
1994 Mazda Protege DX (faster than you think)
2002 Honda CBR 954RR
post #12 of 12 Old 07-27-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

It was autox. I've run the RE01R's before and I'm happy with the grip they have but I just need more tire under the car.

Diesel, I wish we could have jumped in each others cars for rides, but the run group went so fast there was no way to do it. I didn't even get a chance to see you run because I was always right behind you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement