suspension - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BGR

Trader Feedback: (0)
suspension

What would i need to get my 93 cobra to hang with these new z06's? Is it possible?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Depends on the driver more than anything else, but equal drivers? Good f-ing luck. You'll need a ton of power and a griggs or MM catalog on the suspension.

post #3 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 AM

MFE is right. Equil drivers... Not very likely. I race a 04 cobra and Crewchief a 06 Z06 race team. By the time you got that mustang to a level that would beat a stock Z06, the only mustang that would be left is the badging.

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Graft the Cobra body over a ZO6 chassis, then work on the CD.... J/K, what MFE and EarlAutoWorks said.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 AM

Scroll down, there's a big thread on this already (titled built 5.0 vs Z06 or something). In short: it aint happenin

2004 Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports TA/PHB, Coilovers, SFCs, Bilsteins, etc
post #6 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BGR

thats kind of what I thought. I guess I will keep it geared towards straight track.
post #7 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
thats kind of what I thought. I guess I will keep it geared towards straight track.
Why, because if you can't keep up with a Z06 in the corners, it isn't worth doing? You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.
post #8 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM

When I started modifying my car-turd, I didn't have it in my head to go head to head with Corvettes. Hell no. I was measuring performance against other local Mustangs. It's a more realistic comparison versus a car designed from the outset for excellent acceleration, braking and cornering ability.
post #9 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.
Really?

GriggsRacing-KenneBell-ModularPowerHouse
post #10 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned

Trader Feedback: (7)
people are talking about z06 design is so superior, yet the GTR is heavier, bigger, has less horsepower, and with all that still its whooping Z06 Corvettes little butt. Wheres the physics on that? it will cost you, you will be faster, but forget about ride quality.

Last edited by Rebels; 07-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
people are talking about z06 design is so superior, yet the GTR is heavier, bigger, has less horsepower, and with all that still its whooping Z06 Corvettes little butt. Wheres the physics on that? it will cost you, you will be faster, but forget about ride quality.
Two reasons ZO6 Goodyear's and "GTR" Bridgstone/Dunlop . Change the tires on the Z06 to a similar tire and the outcome is different.
post #12 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggsp512 View Post
Two reasons ZO6 Goodyear's and "GTR" Bridgstone/Dunlop . Change the tires on the Z06 to a similar tire and the outcome is different.
i guess GTR can play the same game, just up the boost and still a different result.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Why, because if you can't keep up with a Z06 in the corners, it isn't worth doing? You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken03KBGTvert View Post
Really?

Gay
post #14 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
i guess GTR can play the same game, just up the boost and still a different result.
And the Z06 can add headers and a tune so what...you asked why the GTR comes out on top, and I told you. One uses decent street tires at best the other uses close to race tires.

Last edited by Griggsp512; 07-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
post #15 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
And the Z06 can add headers and a tune so what...you asked why the GTR comes out on top, and I told you. One uses decent street tires at best the other uses close to race tires.
I was talking about matching the horsepower by upping the boost.
post #16 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM

Like I said, it's better to stick with "apples to apples" comparisons.

What's to say the ZO6 couldn't get boosted too. It's a circular discussion.
post #17 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM

I think the last time we had the old Corral, "How can my Mustang handle better than my buddies XXXXXX" the answer ended up being that the Mustang needed a tube chassis, full slicks, some boosted aluminum block 9,000rpm motor with carbon fiber body panels and the Z06 had to race with the A/C on.

Or something like that....
post #18 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
I think the last time we had the old Corral, "How can my Mustang handle better than my buddies XXXXXX" the answer ended up being that the Mustang needed a tube chassis, full slicks, some boosted aluminum block 9,000rpm motor with carbon fiber body panels and the Z06 had to race with the A/C on.

Or something like that....
Ain't physics a bitch
post #19 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Ain't physics a bitch
Gravity....just a theory.
post #20 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (16)
Must be Ground Hog Day...yet another thread about what to do to make my Mustang handle like/better than a Corvette.

I propose a mandatory minimum number of searches are required before someone is allowed to post in any one of the forums. Either that or the next person to start a thread like this should be directed to Corner Carvers and be forced to post the exact same question.
post #21 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Brawler View Post
Either that or the next person to start a thread like this should be directed to Corner Carvers and be forced to post the exact same question.
brutal!
post #22 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

Dude, the GTR has the Z06 beat, regardless. You are starting to sound like the supra kids. GTR's only concern is Zr1, which has 200hp more. If that is possible, then maybe our mustang just needs the right components, like the GTR has. 4000lbs car kicking a 3000lb pound car is impressive. Those nissan guys know what they are doing, i hope mustang peeps go towards that direction.
post #23 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Dude, the GTR has the Z06 beat, regardless. You are starting to sound like the supra kids. GTR's only concern is Zr1, which has 200hp more. If that is possible, then maybe our mustang just needs the right components, like the GTR has. 4000lbs car kicking a 3000lb pound car is impressive. Those nissan guys know what they are doing, i hope mustang peeps go towards that direction.
Do you even have a clue, apparently not so please post the two lap times then we can begin to include facts. Until then please spare me the GTR is madtight yo....

Just so one of us brings some tech:

I agree with TTAC reviewer Stephan Wilkinson : the new Nissan GT-R is the old Honda NSX. Once people actually start driving Nissan’s “everyday supercar”– as opposed to simply jumping on the hype bandwagon and bench racing numbers supplied by Nissan– they’ll appreciate the parallel. Although I'm still looking forward to my first hands-on experience with the GT-R, the reality of the car’s true nature and importance in automotive history is right under the fan-boys’ noses.

The GT-R allegedly 'outperforms' thoroughbred supercars at a fraction of the price. Yes, but what price? The sticker price, or the in-your-garage price? Considering the hype surrounding the car and the limited production numbers, it will be years before a single new $70k GT-R will be sold for under $100k. At the moment, comparing the Nissan to say, a Corvette Z06, obfuscates the truth. But what the [Green] Hell…

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.

In fact, a regular Corvette Z06 would probably beat the GT-R on the Nürburgring. When Road & Track tested the GT-R against the Z06 on a track much smaller than the ‘Ring, they concluded that the GT-R was fast in the corners, but they didn't shed a whole lot of light on how the GT-R performed on the straights. Although the ‘Ring has an enormous amount of corners, it also has some of the longest straight-aways in the world.

In Road & Track’s technical comparo, the GT-R was just as fast to 60mph as the Z06 (despite being less powerful). What many have over-looked is the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. The Z06 is about seven mph faster than the GT-R. When you look at the graph that accompanies these numbers, the GT-R’s AWD system gave it a clear advantage– but only at the start. Applied to the Green Hell, the Z06 would outpace the GT-R on the straights.

The Z06’s fastest recorded lap time at the Nürburgring is 7:42.9 This lap was driven in 2005 by Jan Magnussen in 'muggy' conditions. Last year, Chevy revised the suspension on all Corvette models including the Z06. In theory, the new suspension and better weather conditions should be enough for a Z06 to equal or even better the Nissan GT-R's true time of +7:40. When you consider that the Z06 can achieve this time with a GM-standard standing start and production tires, it seems obvious that the GT-R is no match for the Z06 around the ring.

But what does it all mean? Well, not much actually. Every racetrack is different and some cars are suited to some tracks while others are not. The GT-R is suited to smaller tracks like the one R&T used, and the Z06 is suited to longer and faster ones like the ‘Ring.

So why did I bother ranting about this? Nissan has chosen to flaunt its Nürburgring lap times to show the world that their new, high-tech Nissan GT-R is the new bang-for-the-buck Alpha. But it’s not true. The cheaper Corvette Z06 is still the worlds best [unmodified] performance car bargain. What’s more, if the GT-R cannot handle a stock Z06, then how will it fare against the upcoming ZR1? Never mind the 'almighty' spec V model.

Given the GT-R’s looks and oft-reported lack of driving feel, there’s only one reason anyone would buy the uber-Nissan: to own the fastest thing on the road. In the corners, maybe. If you were committed enough to drive at 10/10ths (never mind how “easy” it is), you could probably blow-off a 911 or similar. Down the straights (the great American pastime), there are faster and cheaper choices– and that’s without exploring relatively inexpensive modifications.

In short, the GT-R is an awesome achievement, but Wilkinson’s right: it’s not all that.

Last edited by Griggsp512; 07-19-2009 at 02:39 PM.
post #24 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you even have a clue, apparently not so please post the two lap times then we can begin to include facts. Until then please spare me the GTR is madtight yo....

Just so one of us brings some tech:

I agree with TTAC reviewer Stephan Wilkinson : the new Nissan GT-R is the old Honda NSX. Once people actually start driving Nissan’s “everyday supercar”– as opposed to simply jumping on the hype bandwagon and bench racing numbers supplied by Nissan– they’ll appreciate the parallel. Although I'm still looking forward to my first hands-on experience with the GT-R, the reality of the car’s true nature and importance in automotive history is right under the fan-boys’ noses.

The GT-R allegedly 'outperforms' thoroughbred supercars at a fraction of the price. Yes, but what price? The sticker price, or the in-your-garage price? Considering the hype surrounding the car and the limited production numbers, it will be years before a single new $70k GT-R will be sold for under $100k. At the moment, comparing the Nissan to say, a Corvette Z06, obfuscates the truth. But what the [Green] Hell…

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.

In fact, a regular Corvette Z06 would probably beat the GT-R on the Nürburgring. When Road & Track tested the GT-R against the Z06 on a track much smaller than the ‘Ring, they concluded that the GT-R was fast in the corners, but they didn't shed a whole lot of light on how the GT-R performed on the straights. Although the ‘Ring has an enormous amount of corners, it also has some of the longest straight-aways in the world.

In Road & Track’s technical comparo, the GT-R was just as fast to 60mph as the Z06 (despite being less powerful). What many have over-looked is the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. The Z06 is about seven mph faster than the GT-R. When you look at the graph that accompanies these numbers, the GT-R’s AWD system gave it a clear advantage– but only at the start. Applied to the Green Hell, the Z06 would outpace the GT-R on the straights.

The Z06’s fastest recorded lap time at the Nürburgring is 7:42.9 This lap was driven in 2005 by Jan Magnussen in 'muggy' conditions. Last year, Chevy revised the suspension on all Corvette models including the Z06. In theory, the new suspension and better weather conditions should be enough for a Z06 to equal or even better the Nissan GT-R's true time of +7:40. When you consider that the Z06 can achieve this time with a GM-standard standing start and production tires, it seems obvious that the GT-R is no match for the Z06 around the ring.

But what does it all mean? Well, not much actually. Every racetrack is different and some cars are suited to some tracks while others are not. The GT-R is suited to smaller tracks like the one R&T used, and the Z06 is suited to longer and faster ones like the ‘Ring.

So why did I bother ranting about this? Nissan has chosen to flaunt its Nürburgring lap times to show the world that their new, high-tech Nissan GT-R is the new bang-for-the-buck Alpha. But it’s not true. The cheaper Corvette Z06 is still the worlds best [unmodified] performance car bargain. What’s more, if the GT-R cannot handle a stock Z06, then how will it fare against the upcoming ZR1? Never mind the 'almighty' spec V model.

Given the GT-R’s looks and oft-reported lack of driving feel, there’s only one reason anyone would buy the uber-Nissan: to own the fastest thing on the road. In the corners, maybe. If you were committed enough to drive at 10/10ths (never mind how “easy” it is), you could probably blow-off a 911 or similar. Down the straights (the great American pastime), there are faster and cheaper choices– and that’s without exploring relatively inexpensive modifications.

In short, the GT-R is an awesome achievement, but Wilkinson’s right: it’s not all that.
omg, look at the advantages the z06 has, i guess there is none. Even temps in testing times was a factor, OMG, are you foreal. Is this www.supraforums.com. Maybe the guy on the Z06 had his pinky injured, was that a factor too? Maybe his girlfriend didn't give him some, and he drove like poop. LMAO GTR is right on with ZR1, can't wait to see the new GTR specV(not sure about name). Corvette cheerleaders are going to hurt bad.

Last edited by Rebels; 07-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
post #25 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
omg, look at the advantages the z06 has, i guess there is none. Even temps in testing times was a factor, OMG, are you foreal. Is this www.supraforums.com. Maybe the guy on the Z06 had his pinky injured, was that a factor too? Maybe his girlfriend didn't give him some, and he drove like poop. LMAO GTR is right on with ZR1, can't wait to see the new GTR specV(not sure about name). Corvette cheerleaders are going to hurt bad.
This is my last post unless you bring any facts to this conversation since you are the complete idiot that I thought you are.

The ZR1 was over 3 seconds faster around the ring than the GTR so again your wrong.
post #26 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Wow, this Rebels guy sure is a dumbass.
post #27 of 36 Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Wow, this Rebels guy sure is a dumbass.
LOL. just learning. Good stuff.
A whole 3 seconds, ROUND of applause.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM

I didn't think this thread could get any worse. Evidently I underestimated the folks here...

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #29 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
LOL. just learning. Good stuff.
A whole 3 seconds, ROUND of applause.
ROFL a whole 3 seconds in a game thats usually won by a couple thousandths of a second. 3 seconds might as well be a year. You dont have much road racing exp do you? I have driven the GTR at Cal speedway and I was impressed from a old man 4 door point of view. Fun car ... yes! Race car... Not even close!

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
post #30 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 AM

dry sump windsor jerico 9" floater 3 link rear double a arm front. light car big tires big brakes and a driver and you can win!
post #31 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 AM

I drove an 09' z06 on the track and in my opinion it bored the heck out of me. It was too easy to drive fast and it just is way easy to drive to the limit. not like the vintage car with manual brakes manual steer bias ply tires now thats fun! if we all wanted to be the fastest we would be on a motorcycle or a shifter cart. ill beat a z06 there too. i have blown past z06's in my vintage mustang anyways. could they drive? no
post #32 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
What would i need to get my 93 cobra to hang with these new z06's? Is it possible?
you need a Project Sniper...badass!
post #33 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM

I've long debated this also. Mainly in drag tests why Ford cant build a naturally aspirated mustang to hang with the vettes, decent mileage, good street manners, and a/c. Not sure why. Or do they even want to?

But in an autocross I easily beat some Zo6's while others have better drivers and are tougher but can be beaten. We both we're on race tires. I weighed 3105 lbs. full cage, 3-link, and a host of MM parts. Not to mention only a solid 300 horse motor.

I heard a quote one time as to why its hard for a mustang to compete with a vette, "with a mustang you're taking a car and making a racecar, with a vette you're taking basically a racecar and fabbing it into a street car." Kinda made sense to me.
post #34 of 36 Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ86GT View Post
I've long debated this also. Mainly in drag tests why Ford cant build a naturally aspirated mustang to hang with the vettes, decent mileage, good street manners, and a/c. Not sure why. Or do they even want to?

But in an autocross I easily beat some Zo6's while others have better drivers and are tougher but can be beaten. We both we're on race tires. I weighed 3105 lbs. full cage, 3-link, and a host of MM parts. Not to mention only a solid 300 horse motor.

I heard a quote one time as to why its hard for a mustang to compete with a vette, "with a mustang you're taking a car and making a racecar, with a vette you're taking basically a racecar and fabbing it into a street car." Kinda made sense to me.
no way!!! Corvette drivers probably never got off first gear or maybe they were using their turn signals on turns and wasted precious time.

The truth, awesome to hear. Love the quote, very true.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
This thread was doomed from the start.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Yes, I love Thunderbirds. I am enlightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement