suspension - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 07-17-2009, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
BGR
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 342
suspension

What would i need to get my 93 cobra to hang with these new z06's? Is it possible?

BGR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Depends on the driver more than anything else, but equal drivers? Good f-ing luck. You'll need a ton of power and a griggs or MM catalog on the suspension.

MFE is offline  
post #3 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 29
MFE is right. Equil drivers... Not very likely. I race a 04 cobra and Crewchief a 06 Z06 race team. By the time you got that mustang to a level that would beat a stock Z06, the only mustang that would be left is the badging.

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
EarlAutoWorks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Registered User
 
Hipogt's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 780
Graft the Cobra body over a ZO6 chassis, then work on the CD.... J/K, what MFE and EarlAutoWorks said.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hipogt is offline  
post #5 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:08 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 136
Scroll down, there's a big thread on this already (titled built 5.0 vs Z06 or something). In short: it aint happenin

2004 Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports TA/PHB, Coilovers, SFCs, Bilsteins, etc
RcodeStang is offline  
post #6 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
BGR
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern IN
Posts: 342
thats kind of what I thought. I guess I will keep it geared towards straight track.
BGR is offline  
post #7 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
MFE
Super Moderator
 
MFE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 27,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
thats kind of what I thought. I guess I will keep it geared towards straight track.
Why, because if you can't keep up with a Z06 in the corners, it isn't worth doing? You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.
MFE is offline  
post #8 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered User
 
Moving Target's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,252
When I started modifying my car-turd, I didn't have it in my head to go head to head with Corvettes. Hell no. I was measuring performance against other local Mustangs. It's a more realistic comparison versus a car designed from the outset for excellent acceleration, braking and cornering ability.
Moving Target is offline  
post #9 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryville, TN
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.
Really?


GriggsRacing-KenneBell-ModularPowerHouse
Ken03KBGTvert is offline  
post #10 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
people are talking about z06 design is so superior, yet the GTR is heavier, bigger, has less horsepower, and with all that still its whooping Z06 Corvettes little butt. Wheres the physics on that? it will cost you, you will be faster, but forget about ride quality.


Last edited by Rebels; 07-18-2009 at 01:40 PM.
post #11 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:19 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
people are talking about z06 design is so superior, yet the GTR is heavier, bigger, has less horsepower, and with all that still its whooping Z06 Corvettes little butt. Wheres the physics on that? it will cost you, you will be faster, but forget about ride quality.
Two reasons ZO6 Goodyear's and "GTR" Bridgstone/Dunlop . Change the tires on the Z06 to a similar tire and the outcome is different.
Griggsp512 is offline  
post #12 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggsp512 View Post
Two reasons ZO6 Goodyear's and "GTR" Bridgstone/Dunlop . Change the tires on the Z06 to a similar tire and the outcome is different.
i guess GTR can play the same game, just up the boost and still a different result.
post #13 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Why, because if you can't keep up with a Z06 in the corners, it isn't worth doing? You won't keep up with a Z06 in the 1/4 either, might as well hang it all up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken03KBGTvert View Post
Really?

Gay
2k2GT is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
i guess GTR can play the same game, just up the boost and still a different result.
And the Z06 can add headers and a tune so what...you asked why the GTR comes out on top, and I told you. One uses decent street tires at best the other uses close to race tires.

Last edited by Griggsp512; 07-18-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Griggsp512 is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggsp512 View Post
And the Z06 can add headers and a tune so what...you asked why the GTR comes out on top, and I told you. One uses decent street tires at best the other uses close to race tires.
I was talking about matching the horsepower by upping the boost.
post #16 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:13 PM
Registered User
 
Moving Target's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,252
Like I said, it's better to stick with "apples to apples" comparisons.

What's to say the ZO6 couldn't get boosted too. It's a circular discussion.
Moving Target is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
I think the last time we had the old Corral, "How can my Mustang handle better than my buddies XXXXXX" the answer ended up being that the Mustang needed a tube chassis, full slicks, some boosted aluminum block 9,000rpm motor with carbon fiber body panels and the Z06 had to race with the A/C on.

Or something like that....
2k2GT is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
I think the last time we had the old Corral, "How can my Mustang handle better than my buddies XXXXXX" the answer ended up being that the Mustang needed a tube chassis, full slicks, some boosted aluminum block 9,000rpm motor with carbon fiber body panels and the Z06 had to race with the A/C on.

Or something like that....
Ain't physics a bitch
Griggsp512 is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggsp512 View Post
Ain't physics a bitch
Gravity....just a theory.
2k2GT is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Registered User
 
88Brawler's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (16)
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 881
Must be Ground Hog Day...yet another thread about what to do to make my Mustang handle like/better than a Corvette.

I propose a mandatory minimum number of searches are required before someone is allowed to post in any one of the forums. Either that or the next person to start a thread like this should be directed to Corner Carvers and be forced to post the exact same question.
88Brawler is offline  
post #21 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Registered User
 
mlanoux's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: New Orleans, LA USA
Posts: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Brawler View Post
Either that or the next person to start a thread like this should be directed to Corner Carvers and be forced to post the exact same question.
brutal!
mlanoux is offline  
post #22 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Dude, the GTR has the Z06 beat, regardless. You are starting to sound like the supra kids. GTR's only concern is Zr1, which has 200hp more. If that is possible, then maybe our mustang just needs the right components, like the GTR has. 4000lbs car kicking a 3000lb pound car is impressive. Those nissan guys know what they are doing, i hope mustang peeps go towards that direction.
post #23 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
Dude, the GTR has the Z06 beat, regardless. You are starting to sound like the supra kids. GTR's only concern is Zr1, which has 200hp more. If that is possible, then maybe our mustang just needs the right components, like the GTR has. 4000lbs car kicking a 3000lb pound car is impressive. Those nissan guys know what they are doing, i hope mustang peeps go towards that direction.
Do you even have a clue, apparently not so please post the two lap times then we can begin to include facts. Until then please spare me the GTR is madtight yo....

Just so one of us brings some tech:

I agree with TTAC reviewer Stephan Wilkinson : the new Nissan GT-R is the old Honda NSX. Once people actually start driving Nissan’s “everyday supercar”– as opposed to simply jumping on the hype bandwagon and bench racing numbers supplied by Nissan– they’ll appreciate the parallel. Although I'm still looking forward to my first hands-on experience with the GT-R, the reality of the car’s true nature and importance in automotive history is right under the fan-boys’ noses.

The GT-R allegedly 'outperforms' thoroughbred supercars at a fraction of the price. Yes, but what price? The sticker price, or the in-your-garage price? Considering the hype surrounding the car and the limited production numbers, it will be years before a single new $70k GT-R will be sold for under $100k. At the moment, comparing the Nissan to say, a Corvette Z06, obfuscates the truth. But what the [Green] Hell…

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.

In fact, a regular Corvette Z06 would probably beat the GT-R on the Nürburgring. When Road & Track tested the GT-R against the Z06 on a track much smaller than the ‘Ring, they concluded that the GT-R was fast in the corners, but they didn't shed a whole lot of light on how the GT-R performed on the straights. Although the ‘Ring has an enormous amount of corners, it also has some of the longest straight-aways in the world.

In Road & Track’s technical comparo, the GT-R was just as fast to 60mph as the Z06 (despite being less powerful). What many have over-looked is the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. The Z06 is about seven mph faster than the GT-R. When you look at the graph that accompanies these numbers, the GT-R’s AWD system gave it a clear advantage– but only at the start. Applied to the Green Hell, the Z06 would outpace the GT-R on the straights.

The Z06’s fastest recorded lap time at the Nürburgring is 7:42.9 This lap was driven in 2005 by Jan Magnussen in 'muggy' conditions. Last year, Chevy revised the suspension on all Corvette models including the Z06. In theory, the new suspension and better weather conditions should be enough for a Z06 to equal or even better the Nissan GT-R's true time of +7:40. When you consider that the Z06 can achieve this time with a GM-standard standing start and production tires, it seems obvious that the GT-R is no match for the Z06 around the ring.

But what does it all mean? Well, not much actually. Every racetrack is different and some cars are suited to some tracks while others are not. The GT-R is suited to smaller tracks like the one R&T used, and the Z06 is suited to longer and faster ones like the ‘Ring.

So why did I bother ranting about this? Nissan has chosen to flaunt its Nürburgring lap times to show the world that their new, high-tech Nissan GT-R is the new bang-for-the-buck Alpha. But it’s not true. The cheaper Corvette Z06 is still the worlds best [unmodified] performance car bargain. What’s more, if the GT-R cannot handle a stock Z06, then how will it fare against the upcoming ZR1? Never mind the 'almighty' spec V model.

Given the GT-R’s looks and oft-reported lack of driving feel, there’s only one reason anyone would buy the uber-Nissan: to own the fastest thing on the road. In the corners, maybe. If you were committed enough to drive at 10/10ths (never mind how “easy” it is), you could probably blow-off a 911 or similar. Down the straights (the great American pastime), there are faster and cheaper choices– and that’s without exploring relatively inexpensive modifications.

In short, the GT-R is an awesome achievement, but Wilkinson’s right: it’s not all that.

Last edited by Griggsp512; 07-19-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Griggsp512 is offline  
post #24 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griggsp512 View Post
Do you even have a clue, apparently not so please post the two lap times then we can begin to include facts. Until then please spare me the GTR is madtight yo....

Just so one of us brings some tech:

I agree with TTAC reviewer Stephan Wilkinson : the new Nissan GT-R is the old Honda NSX. Once people actually start driving Nissan’s “everyday supercar”– as opposed to simply jumping on the hype bandwagon and bench racing numbers supplied by Nissan– they’ll appreciate the parallel. Although I'm still looking forward to my first hands-on experience with the GT-R, the reality of the car’s true nature and importance in automotive history is right under the fan-boys’ noses.

The GT-R allegedly 'outperforms' thoroughbred supercars at a fraction of the price. Yes, but what price? The sticker price, or the in-your-garage price? Considering the hype surrounding the car and the limited production numbers, it will be years before a single new $70k GT-R will be sold for under $100k. At the moment, comparing the Nissan to say, a Corvette Z06, obfuscates the truth. But what the [Green] Hell…

No small part of the current GT-R lovefest can be attributed to the car’s 7:38 Nürburgring lap time. As TTAC has pointed out, there are real questions about the Green Hellmobile’s qualifications for the title “second fastest production car around the ‘Ring.” The GT-R's suspension was modified from the current Japanese production model, supposedly to reflect the American and European spec. Supposedly. Will anyone get a chance to compare the fabled ‘Ring runner and a final production car? I doubt it.

Meanwhile, the YouTube video of the Nissan’s “historic run” clearly shows that the GT-R had a flying start. All other manufacturers testing at the ‘Ring use standing starts for published lap times. The video also proves that the car's lap time was not measured at the exact same location (start and stop). Take these two factors into account, and the 7:40 claim seems highly dubious.

The icing on the cake: GT-R chief engineer Kazutoshi Mizuno’s subsequent admission from that "We used cut slick tyres." If that doesn’t cancel their claim, nothing does.

In fact, a regular Corvette Z06 would probably beat the GT-R on the Nürburgring. When Road & Track tested the GT-R against the Z06 on a track much smaller than the ‘Ring, they concluded that the GT-R was fast in the corners, but they didn't shed a whole lot of light on how the GT-R performed on the straights. Although the ‘Ring has an enormous amount of corners, it also has some of the longest straight-aways in the world.

In Road & Track’s technical comparo, the GT-R was just as fast to 60mph as the Z06 (despite being less powerful). What many have over-looked is the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile. The Z06 is about seven mph faster than the GT-R. When you look at the graph that accompanies these numbers, the GT-R’s AWD system gave it a clear advantage– but only at the start. Applied to the Green Hell, the Z06 would outpace the GT-R on the straights.

The Z06’s fastest recorded lap time at the Nürburgring is 7:42.9 This lap was driven in 2005 by Jan Magnussen in 'muggy' conditions. Last year, Chevy revised the suspension on all Corvette models including the Z06. In theory, the new suspension and better weather conditions should be enough for a Z06 to equal or even better the Nissan GT-R's true time of +7:40. When you consider that the Z06 can achieve this time with a GM-standard standing start and production tires, it seems obvious that the GT-R is no match for the Z06 around the ring.

But what does it all mean? Well, not much actually. Every racetrack is different and some cars are suited to some tracks while others are not. The GT-R is suited to smaller tracks like the one R&T used, and the Z06 is suited to longer and faster ones like the ‘Ring.

So why did I bother ranting about this? Nissan has chosen to flaunt its Nürburgring lap times to show the world that their new, high-tech Nissan GT-R is the new bang-for-the-buck Alpha. But it’s not true. The cheaper Corvette Z06 is still the worlds best [unmodified] performance car bargain. What’s more, if the GT-R cannot handle a stock Z06, then how will it fare against the upcoming ZR1? Never mind the 'almighty' spec V model.

Given the GT-R’s looks and oft-reported lack of driving feel, there’s only one reason anyone would buy the uber-Nissan: to own the fastest thing on the road. In the corners, maybe. If you were committed enough to drive at 10/10ths (never mind how “easy” it is), you could probably blow-off a 911 or similar. Down the straights (the great American pastime), there are faster and cheaper choices– and that’s without exploring relatively inexpensive modifications.

In short, the GT-R is an awesome achievement, but Wilkinson’s right: it’s not all that.
omg, look at the advantages the z06 has, i guess there is none. Even temps in testing times was a factor, OMG, are you foreal. Is this www.supraforums.com. Maybe the guy on the Z06 had his pinky injured, was that a factor too? Maybe his girlfriend didn't give him some, and he drove like poop. LMAO GTR is right on with ZR1, can't wait to see the new GTR specV(not sure about name). Corvette cheerleaders are going to hurt bad.

Last edited by Rebels; 07-19-2009 at 04:57 PM.
post #25 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
omg, look at the advantages the z06 has, i guess there is none. Even temps in testing times was a factor, OMG, are you foreal. Is this www.supraforums.com. Maybe the guy on the Z06 had his pinky injured, was that a factor too? Maybe his girlfriend didn't give him some, and he drove like poop. LMAO GTR is right on with ZR1, can't wait to see the new GTR specV(not sure about name). Corvette cheerleaders are going to hurt bad.
This is my last post unless you bring any facts to this conversation since you are the complete idiot that I thought you are.

The ZR1 was over 3 seconds faster around the ring than the GTR so again your wrong.
Griggsp512 is offline  
post #26 of 36 Old 07-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered User
 
2k2GT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lenoir City, TN
Posts: 6,493
Wow, this Rebels guy sure is a dumbass.
2k2GT is offline  
post #27 of 36 Old 07-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Wow, this Rebels guy sure is a dumbass.
LOL. just learning. Good stuff.
A whole 3 seconds, ROUND of applause.
post #28 of 36 Old 07-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: At the apex, blocking your pass.
Posts: 2,133
I didn't think this thread could get any worse. Evidently I underestimated the folks here...

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
gt40mkII is offline  
post #29 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebels View Post
LOL. just learning. Good stuff.
A whole 3 seconds, ROUND of applause.
ROFL a whole 3 seconds in a game thats usually won by a couple thousandths of a second. 3 seconds might as well be a year. You dont have much road racing exp do you? I have driven the GTR at Cal speedway and I was impressed from a old man 4 door point of view. Fun car ... yes! Race car... Not even close!

Christopher Earl
Crew Chief Team Free Racing
Yellow 2006 Z06
NASA ST1 STR1 TTU #548
EarlAutoWorks is offline  
post #30 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 03:06 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san jose
Posts: 239
dry sump windsor jerico 9" floater 3 link rear double a arm front. light car big tires big brakes and a driver and you can win!
fullrace is offline  
post #31 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 03:08 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: san jose
Posts: 239
I drove an 09' z06 on the track and in my opinion it bored the heck out of me. It was too easy to drive fast and it just is way easy to drive to the limit. not like the vintage car with manual brakes manual steer bias ply tires now thats fun! if we all wanted to be the fastest we would be on a motorcycle or a shifter cart. ill beat a z06 there too. i have blown past z06's in my vintage mustang anyways. could they drive? no
fullrace is offline  
post #32 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Arnold,MO
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
What would i need to get my 93 cobra to hang with these new z06's? Is it possible?
you need a Project Sniper...badass!
my81capri is offline  
post #33 of 36 Old 07-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: May 2003
Location: RIPLEY WV
Posts: 112
I've long debated this also. Mainly in drag tests why Ford cant build a naturally aspirated mustang to hang with the vettes, decent mileage, good street manners, and a/c. Not sure why. Or do they even want to?

But in an autocross I easily beat some Zo6's while others have better drivers and are tougher but can be beaten. We both we're on race tires. I weighed 3105 lbs. full cage, 3-link, and a host of MM parts. Not to mention only a solid 300 horse motor.

I heard a quote one time as to why its hard for a mustang to compete with a vette, "with a mustang you're taking a car and making a racecar, with a vette you're taking basically a racecar and fabbing it into a street car." Kinda made sense to me.
MJ86GT is offline  
post #34 of 36 Old 07-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Banned
 
Trader Feedback: (7)
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ86GT View Post
I've long debated this also. Mainly in drag tests why Ford cant build a naturally aspirated mustang to hang with the vettes, decent mileage, good street manners, and a/c. Not sure why. Or do they even want to?

But in an autocross I easily beat some Zo6's while others have better drivers and are tougher but can be beaten. We both we're on race tires. I weighed 3105 lbs. full cage, 3-link, and a host of MM parts. Not to mention only a solid 300 horse motor.

I heard a quote one time as to why its hard for a mustang to compete with a vette, "with a mustang you're taking a car and making a racecar, with a vette you're taking basically a racecar and fabbing it into a street car." Kinda made sense to me.
no way!!! Corvette drivers probably never got off first gear or maybe they were using their turn signals on turns and wasted precious time.

The truth, awesome to hear. Love the quote, very true.
post #35 of 36 Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Registered User
 
Tbird232ci's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Severn, MD
Posts: 194
This thread was doomed from the start.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Yes, I love Thunderbirds. I am enlightened.
Tbird232ci is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tubular front suspension, built 8.8,rear suspension kit TURBO CAR PARTING OUT W/PICS STANGSTROKED Suspension 15 12-21-2006 09:42 PM
questions- suspension / brakes / wheels / 1991 hatch w/ Independent Rear Suspension jwidsvs General Mustang Tech 2 02-24-2006 11:51 PM
4cyl fox suspension to 95GT suspension swap, k-member or no ? jonathan Road Racing/Auto X 0 09-20-2005 01:31 AM
WTB Qa1,d&D front suspension and wolfe racecraft rear suspension jakefb Suspension 2 09-02-2004 03:45 PM
Feeling after driving a car with drag suspension compared to lowered suspension SloPony91 General Mustang Tech 10 09-01-2004 10:33 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome