Who says you need a Shelby GT for F-stock? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Who says you need a Shelby GT for F-stock?

Well, I do 95% of the time, but yesterday was one of those times I didn't.

Running a lot that has so so traction in a straight line, on a hot day with two drivers melts rear tires down and the car gets really loose. I took a shot and Mike and I ran my '07 GT (setup for FS, Koni's, alignment...) for the DC regional. Course was in the lower 50's for time, and I managed to win it over some stout competition--including the 2006 FS National Champion and a multi-time National event, and Nationals trophy winner, both in Shelby's.

This is just me being happy as a pig in crap.... No video (too hard to move all that stuff car to car).

But the point is the course was very sweeper intensive. Had two fast sections, but only one was really transitional (and not that much). I thought I'd be in big trouble, but it turns out that because the lot is not smooth as glass the sweeping ability I gave up was more than made up for in the stability and better power down of the normal GT.

I won't be running a GT @ Nationals. It's too smooth there, but the point is unless you are after a full blown Nationals winner in FS, a Bullitt or GT can hold it's own (and still I'm sure trophy). I've said that for a while now---I just proved it for the second time. Last time I did that sort of test in an '05 I was .3 slower than my own time in the Shelby at the same site. If Nationals were ever held there, I might just run a GT instead!

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
This is just me being happy as a pig in crap....
Hey, I would be too! Actually, I felt that way after the 7/11 event at E-town. While I came in dead last (out of 3), I was within 2 seconds of Jason Lockman ('06 GT) and Serge (Z-28), whom I believe you know. Previous encounters I was 5 and 6 seconds back. This is still with only the Konis and on the Dunlop Star Specs, oh yeah, and a little additional -camber...and yes, your shock/strut and tire pressure suggestions did help... big time!

Thanks!

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Nice job, but I am glad to see that you are saying that the SGT has the advantage.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
sam could drive MY car and probably finish first 95 percent of the time at major events, so i'm not sure this speaks to the relative merits of shelby vs. non-shelby

http://home.comcast.net/~markhohmeister
1993 ex-Florida Highway Patrol. Black. A few mods.
Dixie Region, Solo II daily driver since 2001.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 11:00 PM

^ Yep, I agree, but he did say that the SGT is faster.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 PM

You ever heading back up to the Cumberland events Sam?

(btw, thanks for the setup and parts advice the other winter. I got 5th out of 103 in PAX recently with the car (97 cobra in ESP))
post #7 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
A little off topic, but I'm anxious to see the new 400hp 5.0 GT tested. That car will likely become the car you need to have to win.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #8 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 10:47 AM

Agreed. The mustang should have lower overall weight, but I don't know about the balance. The track pack factory option is a big boost as well. I don't know anything about the camber curve on the new cars though (05+).

post #9 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Without testing, I firmly believe that a 2010 Track-Pack car can run with a Shelby right now. Smoother lots the lower car is still better, bumpier lots the taller car would be.

Now toss 400 HP in a 2011 Track-Pack car and I think that becomes the car to have. Of course until we actually see one, and it's actually classed it'll be a moot point.

You guys have to remember that I have driven both cars, and that this instance did hold some advantages but also disadvantages for the normal GT. Kind of an almost perfect storm, only one kind of course I feel is better yet for a GT which is one that is all transitional.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #10 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

I drove a CS GT on Sunday of the Blytheville Tour after we broke a stud on the SGT and the cars are very, very close.

At anything buy the highest level of National competition, the typical driver could perform equally well in both. I am guessing that if Mike moved to Arabia with the SGT and Sam was "forced" to run his GT at Nationals, he would probably still win or contend for it very closely against the clone army of SGT's.

Driver still matters in this sport, even at Sam/Burns/Piccione's levels.

DaveW

post #11 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 PM

well i guess i have no more excuses! haha. Still waiting on my first autox with all 4 konis in, I should be going out on the 25th

2005 Mustang GT Loose ESP Prep
Check out my Automotive Artwork Website.
infamousjim.wordpress.com
post #12 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
At anything buy the highest level of National competition, the typical driver could perform equally well in both. I am guessing that if Mike moved to Arabia with the SGT and Sam was "forced" to run his GT at Nationals, he would probably still win or contend for it very closely against the clone army of SGT's.

Driver still matters in this sport, even at Sam/Burns/Piccione's levels.

DaveW
Here's hoping that doesn't happen. I think it would take an act of God to win Nationals in a normal GT for a number of reasons. Mostly that the place isn't rough or slick which are the two things Shelby's hate.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #13 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 01:13 PM

If you are looking to win, choosing the SGT obviously makes sense. However, it really isn't that uncommon for someone at nats to checkout and win by a second over a deep field. If a driver has that kind of event in a GT, I don't see why they can't win.

Steve Rife
post #14 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Don't disagree, but I'm sure you would agree it's starting in a bit of a hole on most courses, and we never know when those few and far between days will be. I certainly didn't expect to win by 1.9 in 2007--and probably could have won in a GT that year. But realistically, I don't think I could have won last year in a GT all else being equal. High trophy? Yep. Just one of those hypothetical games we bench race about.

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #15 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM

These s197s are definitely head and shoulders better than the previous cars.

Got Vic?
ESP Build Thread: corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=916068
post #16 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 02:31 PM

So what you are saying is not to rush out to buy a SGT and expect to run Strano times?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement