Koni Single Adjustable "Yellows" are on/in and WOW what a difference - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-01-2009, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Koni Single Adjustable "Yellows" are on/in and WOW what a difference

Koni single adjustables went on the Cobra this weekend and my god what a difference they made vs. the Tokiko Blues. The compression dampening is set and much stiffer than the Tokiko Blues that were on the car which makes turn in MUCH crisper and got rid of a lot of the instant front end brake dive which has made threshold braking oh so much easier. The rebound dampening is adjustable but even on full soft it is much better than the Tokiko's were at managing the weight of the big fat vert. I'm just starting to screw around (literally and figuratively) with changing the rebound so I'll have to report back on how that goes, but my initial impression is that it's going to be really nice to be able to fine tune this exactly how I want it for weekly daily driving and then crank it up for fun on the weekends and dial it in for each track layout/venue I'm at.

The car now rides much better on the street over bumps and pot holes most likely because the Tokiko's were underdampened for my stiffer spring rates(750 front and 275 rear) and the Cobra now rides a lot more like my girlfriend's 08' Jetta in that it sucks up bumps without upsetting the entire car. Instead of banging over every bump and slamming the wheels down into pot holes, the dampening controls the suspension so much better that I just cruise over bumps that used to knock the car all over the bloody road. There are 2 recessed manhole covers in particular that I hit every single day on the way home where previously they would send 2 wheels well over the dotted line into the other lane and now the car just goes thump thump with no drama at all and keeps on cruising dead straight.

There isn't any mod that I've done other than the MM full length subs that made this much of a positive difference to everything about the car, it brakes better, is more comfortable, and turns in so much nicer than it ever has. I'm also really happy that the bump/compression is set and not adjustable as it prevents me from banging my head into the wall trying to figure out how to get that set properly.

I bought them from Sam Strano at Strano Performance Parts www.stranoparts.com and not only were his prices great but he gave me a bunch of super helpful tech help over the phone and killer customer service when the crap hit the fan and I needed the order to go out in a hurry to make it here in time for the install.

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
2008 SJ SCCA Rookie of the Year and 2010/2011 SJ SCCA Solo Chair
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ciotti; 07-01-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 07:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
From everything I've heard, the blues are no better than OEM-level damping.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
When I first installed my Konis, it was a night and day difference with the Bullitt springs. one thing I noticed was that - suddenly felt every bump in the road, I guess that is from the compression setting.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 12:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
i think i might follow your lead ciotti.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
post #5 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

You better unless you want me to blow you out of the water in front of all our friends on the 26th
Get them from Sam, he'll hook you up

MM subs, springs, and cc plates, Koni SA's, Steeda x2's, front bar, and bumpsteer kit
DBA Rotors, Hawk HPS's, FRPP 3.73's, Eaton diff, and 17x9 Cobra R's with 285 Kuhmo XS's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Glad you like them Ahren--

Working on the bushing delivery issue. Think it was a typo on my end, but have FedEx seeing if they can find them. If not I'll send another set ASAP.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #7 of 10 Old 07-04-2009, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciotti View Post
then crank it up for fun on the weekends

There isn't any mod that I've done other than the MM full length subs that made this much of a positive difference to everything about the car

I bought them from Sam Strano and not only were his prices great but he gave me a bunch of super helpful tech help over the phone
+1. Dial them in at the July 11th NNJR E-town event and we can compare notes. And maybe I can apply some of Sam's advice to cure my understeer woes.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...

Last edited by Hipogt; 07-04-2009 at 06:30 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

I would love to but I can't make that event man, I will be helping Perry run the autocross at Waterfest the weekend after that and then the following weekend I'm gunning for Provost's XP Porsche 912 at our SJ SCCA event

post #9 of 10 Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
the following weekend I'm gunning for Provost's XP Porsche 912 at our SJ SCCA event
Good luck and let up know how you make out. Your times looked pretty stong at the last events.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2009, 05:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
You better unless you want me to blow you out of the water in front of all our friends on the 26th
Get them from Sam, he'll hook you up
oh snap yo! those are fighting words haha. i'll def talk to sam about it. i do more open tracking then auto-x tho. don't know how much that will change anything.

AJ Hartman
RHRPerf.com
facebook.com/rhrperformancellc/
2013, 2016-217 NASA Northeast American Iron Champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement