So..... Made some changes (spring, sway, etc), would like some advice. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
So..... Made some changes (spring, sway, etc), would like some advice.

Ok. Since the last time I autox'd the car I've changed a few things. Went to MM C/O front and rear (325f/250r) and dropped my Eibach sways (35f/24r?) In favor of no rear sway and 28mm tubular front. Part of my reasoning: better ride on the street, get ride of some plowing in long sweeping turns. Previous to running the CO's I was running h&r super race springs up front and Steeda 350 conventional rears. My front wheel rate did not change a whole lot but the rear did (front 262 vs 292; rear 175 vs 275).

Ran an event Saturday afternoon/night. The car actually felt pretty good. Didn't seem to push any more than before. Had a little tiny bit of corner exit oversteer. Not enough to have to be cautious but just enough to let me know its there. Car felt good in hard turning, until I ran out of camber. On one particular right hander, I felt the car get up on the edge of the outside tire. It felt like the car was wobblying on a bad wheel. I'm assuming that was from being on the very corner of the tire. I'm only running -2 camber right now. I could see the results of that turn as I rolled over about an inch onto the sidewall.

Rear traction was great. No spinning or hazing the tires, just point and shoot. No squirrely powerslides or spins. One thing I did notice, without the sway in place the 5 link articulates a lot. Like 4WD magazine a lot. I only noticed this when I was changing tires. It took a lot more jack to get the tire in the air than ever before.

Any push from the rear was controllable by giving it less throttle but it seemed to drive well in larger turns where there wasn't as much roll. On smaller tighter turns there was a lot more pushing, which I'm guessing was from a lack of camber combined with roll which was reducing front grip. I'm wondering if I should start running more camber (-3) to compensate for the roll or start looking into other sway bar options. it just seems to me that the larger 35mm bar was killing me in large sweeping turns because the bar was inducing more push but it was keeping the camber in check for quick transitions, like slaloms. In fact, with the big bar, slaloms felt awesome but it felt like it hurt other places.

I guess now I'm wondering if I should run more neg. camber (which I probably already should be doing) to deal with the roll and maintain grip up front or go to a larger bar to keep the roll in check at the expense of pushing in certain areas. Any comments, thoughts, or experience with this would be appreciated.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-29-2009, 10:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'm very pleased the way my car acts/drives when I push the camber to -3.1 for autocross. If I could get more camber, I probably would. The difference from -2 to -3 was a pleasing one.

I know i'm running alot different setup than you are, but just my feedback on the camber part.

post #3 of 3 Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
How are you managing your changes?

My garage isn't perfectly level right to left so I would have to shim and level everytime.

I think my camber is off now, partly because I raised the front of the car slightly. Ill have to measure tonight and see what the settings look like. Probably not enough.

Edit: I can also get more camber if I sacrifice a little caster.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992

Last edited by BULLITT1992; 06-29-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement