new to OT...would like some advice - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-28-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (9)
new to OT...would like some advice

Hi guys..I've been lurking here for a while and am finally going to post b/c I am going to try to hit my first 'lapping day' a the local 1.5 mile track (no problem raceway in belle rose, louisiana). I had been drag racing the car, so it's current setup leans in that direction. Basically, what I have right now is this:

1993 lx 5.0, 100k miles on the odo, 100% stock suspension (read: original struts, shocks, bushings, etc)
The car cannot be registered for street use, so I took the liberty to lighten it by removing all the interior panels and carpeting. Over the years, I've accumlated a lot of parts from "previous projects" so I put on some gt40y heads and an explorer intake. It's also got a powerdyne supercharger but I think that i'm going to pull that off and sell it, besides, I want to learn to drive this thing and I want the car to be reliable. It's currently sporting a totally stock AOD tranny, but I'm already set to purchase a T-5 and will be doing the swap soon.

I have already done a 5-lug swap using 96+ spindles, new 13" mach-1 calipers/rotors/stock pads, and braided lines (up front). The rears are still sporting drums with new shoes.

Finally, I have a set of BBK c-c plates that will be going on next weekend (hopefully).

Now, I've done a bunch of searching and reading threads but I haven't really seen this question answered (to my satisfaction at least).

It seems pretty much everyone's advice that you should NOT modify the car, you need to get seat time and do the 'driver mods' first. I'm all for that. I did the 13" brakes though because, well, I just wouldn't trust stock Mustang brakes on a track, so I guess I just broke the "driver-mod-first" rule

Anyway, what I'd like to know is: should I at least replace my struts and shocks with new pieces? And I'm NOT talking about Bilsteins or Konis, I'm talking about Tokico blues or maybe even Monroe's or something from AutoZone/PepBoys?? Or should I just roll with my 100k pieces?

Thanks
Mark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlanoux View Post
Anyway, what I'd like to know is: should I at least replace my struts and shocks with new pieces? ... Or should I just roll with my 100k pieces?

Thanks
Mark
No. Go to the track and drive. You should be so slow that it wont even factor into the equation. (this is not an insult)

Don't throw money at a car until you are capable of using it.

post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

You'll be better off on 100k stockers than on anything off the shelf at Autozone.

Put some good brake pads on it, make sure nothing in the brakes or suspension is about to wear out, make sure your cooling system is up to taks, and go drive it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Upgrade the pads (don't forget to bed them in properly!) And replace the brake fluid.

Align it to 1/8" toe IN, maximum caster, and -1.5 degrees camber (if you can get that much.

That's all for now.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #5 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

GDAVENPORT: no insult taken, it's why I am asking the question

MFE: the stock struts/shocks aren't leaking and don't appear damaged so they'll stay....from what little I can see of them, the front bushings appear okay (and by 'okay' I mean they're still there and haven't been squeezed out)...i'll check the backs this weekend... I had some new blue FMS hoses lying around so I put them on, the radiator could use a good flushing and I have a Mark VIII fan on it now

gt40mkII: I'm going to use MFE's writeup on the at-home alignment here: https://forums.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=931155 ...also, I've completely flushed the system with new Ford heavy-duty fluid (I don't believe it's the synthetic blend...would have to double-check)

MFE & gt40mkII: So ditch the new stock pads and go with....what? Hawk HPS ? HP+ ? ...wide open to suggestions/recommendations here

Thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Whats up man, looking at your location and name I think im the one selling you the T5.

I definately wanna hit the road course soon!

94 gt: trickflow HCI, longtubes, 75mm tbody, 3.73, vortech s trim @ 11psi, 11.1 AFR 16 degrees timing, 470rwhp Tweecer tuned by Wes @ TPS Performance [ Sold ]
post #7 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
MFE & gt40mkII: So ditch the new stock pads and go with....what? Hawk HPS ? HP+ ? ...wide open to suggestions/recommendations here
Excellent question. You want to stay with a street pad that's up to LIGHT track use. Personally, I have used Performance Friction's Carbon Metallic pads and their Z-rated pads. Both were OK, but I wouldn't use them too hard -- they WILL overheat and fade more easily than more track-worthy pads.

Hawk makes good pads too, but I read a thread recently that cautioned against using a particular Haws street pad on the track since it had a tendency to loose ALL stopping ability when it got too hot. I think that thread may have been here, but it may have been on Corner Carvers.

EBC Greenstuff is another good street/track pad, I've used in the past. In a pinch, I've also been known to use NAPA's ceramic street pads, but that was out of desperation. The did OK, but I was careful not to beat on them very hard.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #8 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage2k View Post
Whats up man, looking at your location and name I think im the one selling you the T5.

I definately wanna hit the road course soon!
yeah man, that's me.... do you have a white sn-95 gt ?
post #9 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
Excellent question. You want to stay with a street pad that's up to LIGHT track use. Personally, I have used Performance Friction's Carbon Metallic pads and their Z-rated pads. Both were OK, but I wouldn't use them too hard -- they WILL overheat and fade more easily than more track-worthy pads.

Hawk makes good pads too, but I read a thread recently that cautioned against using a particular Haws street pad on the track since it had a tendency to loose ALL stopping ability when it got too hot. I think that thread may have been here, but it may have been on Corner Carvers.

EBC Greenstuff is another good street/track pad, I've used in the past. In a pinch, I've also been known to use NAPA's ceramic street pads, but that was out of desperation. The did OK, but I was careful not to beat on them very hard.
Considering this will be my first OT experience, and therefore I should not be pushing the car at all, can I not get away with the stock pads or is some sort of upgrade absolutely necessary for this first outing?
post #10 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
yeah man, that's me.... do you have a white sn-95 gt ?
Yup, im sure you will see it friday

94 gt: trickflow HCI, longtubes, 75mm tbody, 3.73, vortech s trim @ 11psi, 11.1 AFR 16 degrees timing, 470rwhp Tweecer tuned by Wes @ TPS Performance [ Sold ]
post #11 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Considering this will be my first OT experience, and therefore I should not be pushing the car at all, can I not get away with the stock pads or is some sort of upgrade absolutely necessary for this first outing?
Depends on a few things:
  1. how new your pads are
  2. What the track is like (hard braking zones?)
  3. how disciplined you are

I had a student last weekend in a C5 Z06 -- VERY fast (150 on the front straight, easy,) who was fading his street pads braking from 150 down to about 60-70 for the first turn. NOT a good situation and I tried all weekend to get his ass slowed down on the front straight, but he just couldn't resist the high-speed blast. he finally boiled his fluid, luckily on another part of the track at a MUCH lower speed. I think that convinced him!

Keep your head on straight, and you should be able to make generic street pads survive, as long as you pay attention to them and be prepared to deal with fade. (Keep your speed down, extend your braking distance, don't brake in the turn itself -- only in a straight line, and once the brakes start smelling or feeling funny, SLOW DOWN.)

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #12 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
I've completely flushed the system with new Ford heavy-duty fluid (I don't believe it's the synthetic blend...would have to double-check)

Thanks!
FWIW, the ford heavy-duty is a very good fluid for track use. IIRC, it's got around 550º boiling point. The downside is the wet boiling point is low, so you'll have to bleed them frequently to keep it safe... which is a good idea if you track it frequently.
post #13 of 13 Old 06-29-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
Depends on a few things:
  1. how new your pads are
  2. What the track is like (hard braking zones?)
  3. how disciplined you are
The pads are new, as in, out of the box new.
The track layout can be seen here: http://www.noproblemraceway.com/trac...htm#roadcourse ..there is one long straight that's basically the 1/4 mile dragstrip that is part of the same facility.
Disciplined? I'm a n00b and I know it and if the brakes give any hint of fading, I'll be bringing it in...I street raced a little when I was young and stupid and had an old Chevy basically lose 100% of it's brakes and I blew through a 4-way stop..thank God the people that were stopped could see that I wasn't going to make it and just watched me plow on through...that pretty much ended that whole street-racing thing for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement