Carb - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-20-2009, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
JTS

Trader Feedback: (1)
Carb

Anyone running an Edelbrock carb on their roadrace car? I put a 306 in a 2000. It has a rpm airgap with a 600cfm edelbrock. Any issues in the corners in regards to fuel delivery? $$'s matter so hoping to make it work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
I tried one a looooong time ago and had trouble getting it to work. The odd shape of the fuel bowl led to fuel delivery issues.

HTH,

DaveW

post #3 of 11 Old 06-23-2009, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
JTS

carb

Was thinking the same thing. I guess Holley DP is the way to go. Will give it a try though since I already own it. Almost new carb and may be for sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
We had a Edelbrock on our Lemons car and it really stumbled in the corners. We had to raise the float a lot to try to fix it but it did not help much. Get a center hung float Holley.

90LX,Griggs,Cobra Brakes,ABS,331
86 SVO
95 Lightning
post #5 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 05:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (82)
well we are on the subject of carbs here.. what mods are needed to go road racing with a holly? what have you guys who have run carbs found to work well?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #6 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 08:42 AM

Even though I only autocross, I haven't run into a fuel starvation problem with the side hung float Holley carburetor on my car. I had plans to get the center hung float bowl conversion kit but it's hasn't been an issue (sticky 'R' tires even) so far.

A tracked car that runs at higher sustained speeds is another matter but I thought I'd weigh in with my experience.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
JTS

carb

Are the center hung versions completely different bowls or just the float itself?
post #8 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSMat View Post
well we are on the subject of carbs here.. what mods are needed to go road racing with a holly? what have you guys who have run carbs found to work well?
Center hung float bowls.
Circle track plastic float.
Cut right side of float to match angle on left side.
Install hose from front vent on top of carb to back vent.
Cut hole in top or sides of said hose so it still vents.
Make sure air cleaner doesn't seal vent hole in hose shut.
Set float level very precisely. If it takes less than 15 minutes, you are doing it wrong.

GO have fun.

DaveW
post #9 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Are the center hung versions completely different bowls or just the float itself?
Different bowls. Should be easy/cheap to find.

Quote:
Even though I only autocross, I haven't run into a fuel starvation problem with the side hung float Holley carburetor on my car. I had plans to get the center hung float bowl conversion kit but it's hasn't been an issue (sticky 'R' tires even) so far.

A tracked car that runs at higher sustained speeds is another matter but I thought I'd weigh in with my experience.
Talking to some of the GT-1 mechanics at the Runoffs, they don't seem to have the same troubles autocrossers do with carbs. The turns are much gentler (SP?) and not done nearly as often. As an illustration of what happens to fluids in an autocross car during violent 1.5g turns, I have some old in car video where my remote brake resivoirs were visible. (I wish I could find the video now) The fluid was visibly at 45 degrees or more for almost the entire run.

I ran a side hung Holley for a while way back and it worked fine for me too. As the car got faster, it started to be more troublesome. I went to the center hung with a new motor and stayed with various versions throughout the years.

All that aside, the Edelbrock fuel bowl is very oddly shaped and I would expect much more troublesome than any Holley.

HTH, IMO,

DaveW
post #10 of 11 Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM

If you end up buying a new Carb,
I Auto-X my 84 with a holley 570 CFM Street Avenger and have not had any problems. The Street Avengers are all Center Hung and are availabe in Different CFM's and for a decent Price at Summit Racing.

Just my 2 cents,

Scott

84 GT, 5.0l, 5spd, SFC'S,LCB, 5300C Springs, Koni Reds, MMCC Plates, Cobra MC, Turbo Coupe Rear Disc&North Racer Brackets, 5 Lug with Tri-Stars, Alum DS, K&N, 86-93 exhaust/Dyno-Max Cat Back & Holley Street Avenger 570....Auto-X'er
post #11 of 11 Old 06-25-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
JTS

carb

Thanks for the info. Is the 570 carb enough for my mild 306. It has gt40x heads, 303 cam with an airgap intake. Should I get a 600cfm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement