Question about spacer arangement with MM front Coilovers - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Question Question about spacer arangement with MM front Coilovers

After a little lolly gagging I finally installed my MM front coilovers today. The front springs are 325# and they are on Koni Single Adjustables. When I did the install I used two of the MM large spacers and one of the MM medium spacers below the strut plate and I used one of the very thin washers above the strut plate. I would like to know if this is normal and what others have done to ensure that they are getting enough clearance between the upper spring mount and the innermost rear bolt head on the lower part of the cc plate. BTW the spacers that I am considering medium size are the ones that come with the cc plates and the very thin spacer is the one that comes with the coilover kit. I have clearance from full lock in each direction, but I am just curious what others have done to get their coilovers installed.

I haven't gotten much driving time in today but I could definitely feel the difference just driving around the corner and back. Once I hit a very rough section of road and the front seemed to articulate much better. It will take some getting used to now that the rear rates are closer to the front and the wheel rate has gone up at all four corners. Now I am running 325/250's which work out to 292.5/275 at the wheel. Previously I was running 950-1050 springs up front with 350's out back. That worked out to 237.5-262.5 front and 175 at the wheels. Needless to say the rear want to rotate a little more.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I just used the minimal amount below the C/C plate to clear that nut/bolt. I would imagine that you'd want as many on top of the C/C plate as possible to allow strut travel, especially on a lowered car.

I think i've got one medium spacer above the C/C plate. I have appx a pinky finger width of clearance between the spring perch and that nut/bolt.

post #3 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 07:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I think I have one of the thicker ones (1/2"?) above the CC plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-08-2009, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

I have about half a pinky finger worth of clearance as well. I guess I will have to live with it the eay that it is right now. I have adequate clearance but I guess I'm limiting my bump travel some.

post #5 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Adjust the number of spacers underneath the c/c plate bearing so that there is minimal clearance between the top of the upper spring perch and the bottom of the strut tower. Typically the point of contact on the bottom of the strut tower will be the bolt head of the c/c bottom plate. There only needs to be 1/16"-1/8" of clearance, since the amount of clearance only barely changes as the steering is turned.

Then place enough spacers above the c/c plate bearing so that the strut nut does not run out of threads before becoming tight. You must use at least one spacer on top or the nut will hit the bearing race.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Jack,

Thanks for replying. The kits are top notch by the way. The clearance was just barely enough to get the tip of my pinky in there when rotated right to left. There are some small spacers that are included in the coilover kit, they are smaller than the spacers in the caster/camber plate kit. I have one of those between the nut and the cc plate.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
I have the MM Bilstein C/Os and used the thinnist spacer the kit came with under the CC plate. I have more clearance than Jack indicated between that one bolt head and the top of the C/O through the entire range of motion but in my case, the top of the strut is getting way too close to the hood; I may even have to clearance the hood, thus I can't go any thinner on the lower spacer. I have one medium and one thick spacer on top of the CC plate bearing and room for another thick spacer although what I currently have works without thread loss.

Last edited by qtrracer; 06-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement