Gauge questions..... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Gauge questions.....

I have posted this on another Mustang forum, so those who see both, sorry, I just want to get a bigger sampling of opinions.

For those who open track and/or AutoX their car semi-regularly.... Gauge questions
What gauge lines are you using. I was thinking about Sport-Comps, but there are so many others choices. Pro-Comps are a little pricy, and dial lighting is somewhat important, but not the main concern. I am not looking for 90° sweeps, but closer to 270° sweeps. Oil temp, water temp, and oil press would like to be mechanical, others can be electrical, but have to match, and be close to 270° sweep. Also is there much of a difference between 2 5/8", and 2 1/16" as far as visibility and fit into a '65 instrument panel? I haven't decided on either cutting up the bezel I have (it is a mess anyway), buying an inexpensive bezel, or molding the existing bezel, and making my own.
Also, what functions are you monitoring?
I would like :
Fuel
Volts
Vac/boost (maybe)
RPM (in dash pod ?)
Speed
Oil Temp
Oil Press
Water Temp
Any others you feel important?

Thanks
Rusty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 10:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Wide band?

post #3 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'd say it depends on the level of modification to the car.

I personally run a wideband and fuel psi gauge. I would however like to add a coolant/oil temp gauge.

I think if those are monitored, you should be adequetely safe.

However, more monitoring isn't a bad thing. My car isn't modded to the hills so I don't think having 700$ tied up in gauge/hardware is necessary.

I am using an Autometer Sport Comp or Sport Comp II 2 1/16 fuel psi guage. It's the silver bezel/black face/orange needle. I did use a black paint marker to color the silver bezel black...as I like things simple/clean/non-standoutish.

The wideband gauge is a digital LED 2 1/16 from www.dynotunenitrous.com

Last edited by 2k2GT; 06-03-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 10:58 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
In addition to factory speedo, tach, amps, and fuel gauges, I run oil pressure, oil temp, and coolant temp, as I feel those are the most critical. Sometimes I'd like to know trans temp, diff temp, and EGT, but I don't feel they're critical.

I wouldn't run mechanical temp gauges. I do run a mechanical oil pressure gauge, with a braided stainless line into the A-pillar. Simple autometer sport-comps. Full-sweep electricals are expensive but if you want a lot of precision in the readings, it may be worth it to you.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Any brands other then Autometer? I am currently leaning twords Stewart Warner Deluxe line. Like These.
Rusty
post #6 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
On our track car the 3 gauges are next to each other in the center of the dash. They are set to where the needles all point straight up when everything is in the "green". With this setup I don't have to read the gauges, just a quick glance at them to see if all are straight up. I have a wide band mounted above these and I know where the lighted outer band should be under WOT conditions so it is also a quick glance. I use a shift light so I do not watch the tach. With time in the car, the sound tells me when it is about time to shift, but I use the shift light to actually shift .. just more consistent.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I use the stock tach, speedo, volts and fuel gauges. The other gauges are autometer sport comp gauges. Fuel psi, water temp, and oil psi are located in the center vent location. Oil temp and trans temp are located in the pillar. It's not ideal to have them spread out like this but I have specific spots on the track where I take a quick glance to make sure everything is normal.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
post #8 of 8 Old 06-03-2009, 12:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Here is what I did to my 90 LX. I like to keep a low profile and did not want the A pillar gauge setup. I wanted a shift light because I run the car at HPDE and open track events and sometimes it is hard to hear the engine and I am sometime a little occupied in the middle of the turn but did not want a big aftermarket tach. I made a small board with LED's and mounted it inside the dash bezel and bought a rpm switch from Summitt.

I mounted mech. water temp, elec. oil temp and mech. oil pressure where the HVAC controls were...ALL the factory gauges work as well.

...and put the HVAC in the center console. Everything still works, a/c, blower. Even mounted an actuator to control the heat/cold blend door. Even the ash tray door still closes and the knobs have LED built into them.

The red switches control rad fan over ride, ABS and oil cooler fan.

90LX,Griggs,Cobra Brakes,ABS,331
86 SVO
95 Lightning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement