post #1 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Stripped interiors?

Car: 1996 Mustang GT
_____Weight-related mod's_____
Motor: Teksid block w/forged IRS & PI heads
Suspension: MM K-member, A-arms, coilovers, 03 Cobra IRS
Brakes: 13"F/12"R 2-piece rotors on all four corners
Other: LT headers, O/R pipe, side-exhaust, Alum drive-shaft, Carbon Fiber battery

Now, I drive this car a couple days each week, but I'm thinking I may start taking it to some open track events (mostly for fun since I'm not willing to go the extreme distance to make the car competitive enough to keep up with the hardcore racers). I just bought a Kenne Bell for it that will pretty much add back the weight I shed from the aluminum block, but I'll be pushing, in the neighborhood of, 550 RWHP. I'm thinking of gutting the interior... dash, air-bags, door panels, carpet, console, rear plastics, factory seat belts & Mach460 system. I'm replacing the seats with light-weight driver & passenger's. Thinking of fabbing up my own mini-dash out of fiberglass or sheet-metal and covering it in material to match the seats, and possibly making some light-weight skins for the doors and the rear seat area. Already working on a rear-seat delete out of fiberglass to cover in the same material as the front seats. I was kicking around the idea of having rubber-coating (like bed liner) sprayed in the floor of the car or going with something similar to rubber flooring used in pickups for a little sound-dampening. Anyway, my goal is to make the car as light as possible while retaining somewhat of a streetable interior. I don't take it to carshows or anything, but I'd like to keep a civilized looking interior. Anyone done something similar?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 AM

From everyone I know that has went down this path for anything beyond a strictly race car...don't do it.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 03:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I'll second that. Got old....REAL quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Too much road noise? I found, without the back seat and all plastics & carpet removed from the trunk, there was a lot of road noise. I was wondering how loud it would be if all the interior plastics and carpet were gone...
post #5 of 11 Old 06-02-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm going the same route, although I drove around in HMMWV's for 8 years in the Army and that never bothered me.
Most people are going to say don't do it, but its a totally personal thing. I stopped asking for opinions on non tech things for my project a long time ago.

P-86 460 Coupe
militarymustang.info
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 09:45 AM

If long freeway trips are in the vehicle's future, I don't think I'd do it.

If you do, get a set of ear plugs for you and any passengers!

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
I wouldnt do it from experience.

For Sale: 31 Spline Superior Axles 99-04 Length for 8.8 used.
For Sale: 8.8 3.73 Gears used.
For Sale: Spec 3, 10 spline clutch disc used, no pressure plate included, just disc.
For Sale: Pistol Grip shiftknob with switch on top used.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 02:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You say you drive this car a couple of days per week, so I assume you have another car and drive this one when you feel like it.

I'm in that position too, and I stripped my interior. I love it and it's no problem for trips under an hour. I'd think twice about anything much more, especially on the freeway where the constant rpms is a bit of a drone, but that's why I have other cars.

I still have the dash, because I like having the glove compartment. I also left the headliner and trim strips around the top of the door - that seemed like a wise move to prevent head impact on bare metal. Other than that it's all gone and been replaced by just a driver's seat.

I don't see the point of spraying in any bed liner or anything, I just polish up the exposed metal when I feel like it

If it was my only car, I would not have done it.

Last edited by leecea; 06-03-2009 at 02:46 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Trader Feedback: (7)
i stripped mine like Ernesto Roco's car, I have a 95 gt. Its definitely a personal thing, because everyone that rides with me is amused at first but then bothered. I love racing cars and the sounds the cabin makes so I even took out the stereo to enjoy the sound of the car. Once i stripped it, i wanted more noice, so I went with turndowns. I've been like this for 5 years and still not tired of it. I don't race mine but sure plan to in soloII, if rules let me.

Last edited by Rebels; 06-03-2009 at 05:28 PM.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 06:17 PM

I don't know about laws in other states... but I asked the guy who does my inspections and he told me that I can't get rid of the defogger or driver/passenger airbags (this is in VA), I don't want to have a non-streetable car, period.

My car looks in the middle... racing seats, no rear speakers nor seats and side exhaust but all the carpet and the other stuff is still there. My whole stereo is going out but i already have the Cobra R stereo delete.

I doubt I will sell my car any time soon, but a totally stripped out car won't find buyers easily... unless its a race car AND has proof of running good times. my two cts.

Hector
2000 Mustang GT
post #11 of 11 Old 06-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStripes2000GT View Post
I don't know about laws in other states... but I asked the guy who does my inspections and he told me that I can't get rid of the defogger or driver/passenger airbags (this is in VA), I don't want to have a non-streetable car, period.
I doubt I will sell my car any time soon, but a totally stripped out car won't find buyers easily... unless its a race car AND has proof of running good times. my two cts.
Two good points.

I checked the PA inspection regs to make sure I was OK. You do need a defogger and I kept my stock seatbelt. I just passed inspection.

I have stored all my interior parts rather than sell them, just in case! No one will want a gutted street car.

Basically my car is a cheap toy, that came with many issues and I had to choose whether to try and restore it to decent condition or just make it even more ghetto, which I did. If it had been a nicer car to start with, I might have chosen a different path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement