Corbeau CR1 + DT828 = way too tall - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (6)
Corbeau CR1 + DT828 = way too tall

xpost from 94-95 5.0 forum.

Anyone else have this problem? I've let it go for a year, but I can't stand it anymore. I'm 6'1", and I couldn't have a helmet on without having a ghetto lean.

I've got a stock bracket with the adapters on the other side, but its just as tall.

Is there anything that can be done/altered to lower this down? I'd love 1 full inch, but anything would help.

Chris Wynne - NASA AZ Region Racing Nut
rolex24pics.com -Photographer

2011 GT: Yellow Tri-Blaze, 6MT, 3.73's, all the options sans a glass roof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 06:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Are you using the Corbeau seat brackets?

I had CR1's in my car, used their bracket and had appx. 5" of clearance WITH a helmet on.

I'm 6'1" as well and drive with the seat forward when racing and 1/2 way back when just driving.

post #3 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 AM

I have CR1s in my mach1 and have 1-2 inches of clearance with my helmet on and I'm 6'.When I bought the seats I had Corbeau shave the base 1".That was recommended by a friend that has them in his Terminator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
PM DaveW. He sells the 1" lowered corbeau brackets. They arent the easiest to install, but work great. Sell your stockers and pick those up. He'll give you the best price on em, too.

Down to one '86 GT riding some jackstands, but there's somethin in the works!!
post #5 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Are you using the Corbeau seat brackets?

I had CR1's in my car, used their bracket and had appx. 5" of clearance WITH a helmet on.

I'm 6'1" as well and drive with the seat forward when racing and 1/2 way back when just driving.
There's no way, haha. On mine, if I sit the seat how I'd want for racing, my head would touch the headliner. I'm using the DT828 bracket/slider set (not the adapter plates).

On the passenger side I am using a manual fox slider + adapter plates, and it sits just as tall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedconekiller View Post
PM DaveW. He sells the 1" lowered corbeau brackets. They arent the easiest to install, but work great. Sell your stockers and pick those up. He'll give you the best price on em, too.
Will do, that's just what the doctor ordered!

post #6 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Red_V6 View Post
There's no way, haha. On mine, if I sit the seat how I'd want for racing, my head would touch the headliner. I'm using the DT828 bracket/slider set (not the adapter plates).

On the passenger side I am using a manual fox slider + adapter plates, and it sits just as tall.
Well, I fit in there...somehow....

I know the below are NOT the CR1's, but these are the same brackets that I used when I had them. The Forza's sit about 1" lower than the CR1's.

Last edited by 2k2GT; 06-01-2009 at 01:57 PM.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Well, I fit in there...somehow....

Red ex's here, but I believe it.

Its probably just like every other project for this car, Corbeau built a set to Chris-specs (doesn't fit, will cost a ton to make fit, tons of needless frusteration and suffering, and likely blood-loss during install).

post #8 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 PM

Should be updated...

I remember reading that the seat brackets for 94-98's were one part number, 99-04's were different. Not really sure why. I know 2002 GT seats fit in a 96 GT.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

I had a forza for a while, and I had tons of space like what you see.

Maybe that's what I need to do again, is just get a forza for raceday use.

If I get another bracket from DaveW, then I can get a forza for track day and have enough brackets. I just want to be able to drive on the street without looking through the blue tinted portion of the windshield, or having to tilt the seat so far back that I have to really reach to get the steering wheel and shifter.

post #10 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 02:07 PM

Hmmm, well best of luck to you. I just really never had any issue with helmet room with the CR1's. Maybe most of my 6' is in my legs and yours in the torso?

post #11 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 03:25 PM

Get the lower bracket. I think it's calle DT828TL. I can check. It's sitting in my basement. I got mine directly form Soloracer or Saferacer; whoever i bought my FX1 Pro from. They didn't even know this existed (lowering bracket for Mustang) but I asked them to check with Corbeau, and they were able to get it at the time I bought my seat.

Anyway, with a fixed back FX1 Pro, I've got good head room. Even better when I pull out the lower cushion. I'm just over 6 feet tall. Car is a 95 GT, no sunroof.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 PM

Gonz, you are correct... How tough was it to install for you? Chris, you wont regret going with the lowered brackets. I do doubt, however, that you'll be swapping seats on a regular basis.

post #13 of 26 Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyedconekiller View Post
Gonz, you are correct... How tough was it to install for you? Chris, you wont regret going with the lowered brackets. I do doubt, however, that you'll be swapping seats on a regular basis.
The front sea mount bolts are easy.

The rears are a little bit of a pain, as I couldn't get a ratchet on them or even a "gear wrench" ratcheting wrench. So I just had to do it with an open end wrench little by little. Not hard, just requires a little patience.

EDIT. now that I think about it, the FIRST time I installed it, I had to file/cut down the corner of the bracket which sits nearest the shifter in order for it to fit.

Last edited by Gonz; 06-05-2009 at 09:25 PM.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-14-2011, 10:25 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Pulling this up from the depths, because I'm considering venturing into Corbeau land again. The last time I had them, I got rid of them because they sat too high. Now I learn they sell lowered brackets and they sell the option of shaving the seat base by an inch.

Do I do one of the options, or both? Will I run into clearance problems between the sliders and the tunnel? Will I have enough room between the seat and bracket to use my Wolfe Racecraft 5th-point mounting bracket at the rear of the seat if I do both?

post #15 of 26 Old 02-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
Pulling this up from the depths, because I'm considering venturing into Corbeau land again. The last time I had them, I got rid of them because they sat too high. Now I learn they sell lowered brackets and they sell the option of shaving the seat base by an inch.

Do I do one of the options, or both? Will I run into clearance problems between the sliders and the tunnel? Will I have enough room between the seat and bracket to use my Wolfe Racecraft 5th-point mounting bracket at the rear of the seat if I do both?

I've got the lowered brackets, and like already discussed, they arent the easiest to install, but I've had good luck with them. I wasn't as astute as Gonz was, and wound up taking a hammer to the side of the tunnel, but its nothing that some gentle persuasion and some spray paint can't fix, lol. I was a few years younger, and a lot less patient than I can be now.

It all just depends on what works best for you... I don't think the Wolfe brackets will work with the lowered slider setup, but I'll take pics of my seat to floor clearnance if you'd like, and you can decide from there.

If I hadn't bought my seats used, I'd have probably shaved them, just because it might have made seat install/removal a little easier. I'd like to see the shaved seats in person, so that when I decided to change seats again (which I plan to in the future), I'll be able to make an educated decision.

Just LMK what you need, and I'll do my best to get it to ya.

-Michael

post #16 of 26 Old 02-14-2011, 11:37 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Pics would be great. I appreciate the offer.
post #17 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 AM

MFE, is there a reason why you can't just mount the seats to the floor? Do they need to be able to slide for a co-driver? I've seen quite a few CMC cars like this, I think.
post #18 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 10:29 AM
MFE
Super Moderator

Yes, they need to slide.

My other option would be to put a fixed-back in it and just remove it after events, but it seems to me that fixed-backs that mount to standard seat frames (not side mount) are rare a hens teeth.
post #19 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (17)
I'm looking at Corbeaus as well. Haven't inquired, but was under the impression that the lower priced fixed back seats still used the bottom mounting style ...

Corbeau: Forza

cheers
Ed N.

former original owner -- 87 Mustang LX 5.0 hatchback
07 Mustang GT with some stuff
88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
post #20 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Fraser,

Are you looking at Reclining or fixed back seats? Corbeau can only shave the reclining seat bases.

Thier fixed back liek a Forza or FX1 Pro will mount to thier sliders including the lowered one (D828TL).

DaveW
post #21 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

I'd like the the recliners but it's a bad time for me to be dropping a grand on seats, so I'm looking at fixed-back options as well. I picked a bad day to drive my car to an event where NASA's regional director had time to "admire" it, and found out my car wasn't going to pass tech at another NASA event until I do something about my sub-belt arrangement. I'd say "#### it" and cut a hole in my seat cushion but the orientation of the wire springs underneath won't accomodate it.
post #22 of 26 Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 PM

I've got my ultra shield mounted to the stock sliders. Just had to use one bit of angle aluminum because the front underside of the seat has a channel in it.
post #23 of 26 Old 02-16-2011, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
The stock adaptors SUCK ASS!!!

I had the same issue in my fox. I not only pissed blood for a week but had my head sideways driving my fox the first week with the new stuff. (I was a big boy at the time)

I purchased their (Corbeau's) 79-98 tracks and it lowered the seat ALOT. I'm 6'0" with really short legs so I keep the seat forward alot. Even with it being forward alot my helmet only barely rubs the head liner. Nothing I can really "feel"

I have CR1's with their brackets. Don't modify anything. Just order them, bolt on, and go. They are really good quality and worth the money. They fully slide forwards and backwards. Good range of movement.

If you need pics let me know and I'll go shoot some.

Matt, 90' GT 347, 6037 heads, V1 Si-trim, 11psi, B31 Cam, T56, SV Intake, BE/Tweecer Tuned. 550rwhp 513tq
Bonneville 130 club member. (139.993) [email protected] in the 1/4.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
13' Taurus SHO Performance PackDaily

Last edited by Nitrous SSC; 02-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.
post #24 of 26 Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I had the same issue with my flofits and when I went to my Sparco's it wasn't as bad. I took the base slider that comes with the seat adapter and cut off the height tabs on the end. Then bolted the slider to the lower bracket by drilling the holes out. The slider has holes already in the lower track. I went and bought low profile bolt heads so the slider can clear the bolt head. That dropped it about 2" down. Then I wanted more so I took a 1x1 L- channel welded to a piece of flat stock. Upside down L flat is bolted to the seat slider and then the flat stock is drilled for the floor mount bolts. That dropped the rear of the seat an additional 1.5". Which gives a nice bucket angle and allow my thighs to actually touch the front of the seat.

2014 Camaro 1LE
2001 Cobra White SOLD
1989 Mustang GT "F0xR0d" SOLD
12.49 @ 116.8 mph (BFG KDW Street tire)
post #25 of 26 Old 02-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
I am 6'4" tall and in my 2000 with Corbeau LG1's and the Corbeau bracket / slider I have about 5" above my head. It's the standard Corbeau slider and I haven't heard of a "lowered" one.

08 Bullitt / 07 Buell XB12SS / 16 Transit Connect

Last edited by Darin; 02-22-2011 at 06:50 PM.
post #26 of 26 Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM

LG1's have a much 'shorter' base cushion than the cr-1. My CR1's were way too tall so I sold them on ebay and got shaved seats from Corbeau. I use the 99-04 bracket for the seat belt mount, and I don't think they make a low bracket for that application. The 99-04 is part # 1302 or 1303.

I'm 5'6" on a good day, and I was almost in the roof with my original CR1's. My 6'1" instructor's helmet was above the top of the rollbar! I considered asking for instructors my height or less, but decided to just get a shorter seat

2001 Mustang GT Bondurant Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement