low sping rate on coilover question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
low sping rate on coilover question

i found some coiloves for very cheap front and rear, on contacting the owner he said that the spring rates were 218 front and 123 rear. doing a search i saw that this looks kind of low from people who seem to be running more in the 300-400 font and 200-300 rears.

the car is my daily driver, 94 5.0 5 spd gt. all the bolt ons. some weight reduction (all smog gone, rear seat delete mach stereo torn out, trunk mounted battery, took off strut tower brace, other minor things) suspension wise it is pretty stock with eBay yellow springs on it and rlca's with poly/heim joints and currently no rear sway bar (have two dif sized just haven't put one back on yet) eventually I will be wanting to go wild with the suspension but it is a ways off so i want something that will work with the stock combo but i don't want it to be rolly-polly while i wait. it does need more ground clearance in the rear (i can feel it hitting the bumpstop pretty regularly) hence why i was thinking coilovers.

what do you guys think of those spring rates in a coilove? useless w/o an upgrade or good to start with until i get more serious?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Most V8 Mustangs have a factory front spring rate somewhere around 425-450#/in. (Cobras were more softly sprung and got 400# springs.) That translates to a 118-125#/in coilover spring (111# for Cobras.) A 218# coilover in front equates to a 785# spring. (Are you sure it's 218 -- that's an odd rating -- coilovers are usually sold in 25# increments.)

In back, Most GT's got factory springs in the 200#/in range (Cobras got 165#/in.) This translates to a 110#/in coilover (90#/in for Cobras.) Your 123# coilovers (again, an odd rating for coilovers,) equates to a 224#/in spring.

You'll end up with a moderately stiffrer setup, similar to H&R race springs up front and between FMS (200#), Eibach (200# for Pro and Sport Kits), and H&R Sports (250#).

And if you "go wild" with the rear suspension, you're probably going to want a MUCH stiffer rear spring.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #3 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay, that gives me a good idea. So it sounds like it will be decent for a street car then correct? As far as the rear end I assumed I would have to upgrade springs down the road when that setup changes. As far as the spring rates are concerned I asked the guy and those were the rates he emailed back, the kit can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories
he response to me was:
The Coilovers Springs Have a Tensile Strength Of 1660 To 1810n/sq mm.# Spring rate(Front/Rear) : 218/123 lbs/inch#####################
The Strut Sleeve Is Comprised Of CNC Machined From Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tconkling View Post
Okay, that gives me a good idea. So it sounds like it will be decent for a street car then correct? As far as the rear end I assumed I would have to upgrade springs down the road when that setup changes. As far as the spring rates are concerned I asked the guy and those were the rates he emailed back, the kit can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...Q5fAccessories
he response to me was:
The Coilovers Springs Have a Tensile Strength Of 1660 To 1810n/sq mm.# Spring rate(Front/Rear) : 218/123 lbs/inch#####################
The Strut Sleeve Is Comprised Of CNC Machined From Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum."
I dont know if I would put that particular coil-over kit from that Ebay link on my daughter's tricycle...
post #5 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 07:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Sounds like a drag-oriented set of coilovers. They like the light rates for weight transfer.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dxtrm View Post
I dont know if I would put that particular coil-over kit from that Ebay link on my daughter's tricycle...

why is that?
post #7 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 02:11 PM

I don't know, dude. What could possibly be wrong with a brand new $32.00 coil over kit? At $8 per corner, including springs, that's a bargain!!!

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Those don't have the upper mount bearing you'll find on MM and Griggs. You also won't be able to spacer the upper perch.

I believe this will cause the spring to twist a bit as you steer, bend when you hit a bump and the strut changes angle a bit, and the lower perch to raise/lower if a tire hits the spring.

Those spring coil look rather large which is bad for tire clearence. It also does say what size shock they're for, which means they may not fit well over a bilstein, koni, or stock shock.

e90 328i

Last edited by jfranci3; 05-28-2009 at 02:52 PM.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

is tire clearance usually a problem? it would be interesting to know how much the spring does twist to necessitate the bearing on the top. i have nothing but the utmost respect for maximum motorsports and their products (very well researched etc) but i wonder if they would work 10x as well (since this is approximately how much more they cost) i wonder if i could retrofit the roller bearing into these...

i had a girlfriend a while ago that had a little civic and wanted her car lowered. found a set much like these (but cheaper lol) and put them on thinking if they didn't work i wasn't out much money. they actually made a nice improvement and fit pretty well. not top shelf but they worked and better then stock. that experience was what made me take a look at these.

as far as what shocks it fits, it has 3 different sized o-rings that let you run different size shocks in them.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 07:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Holy balls, I just clicked on the link. I don't think I've ever seen a coilover "kit" that ghetto.

post #11 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconkling View Post
is tire clearance usually a problem? it would be interesting to know how much the spring does twist to necessitate the bearing on the top. i have nothing but the utmost respect for maximum motorsports and their products (very well researched etc) but i wonder if they would work 10x as well (since this is approximately how much more they cost) i wonder if i could retrofit the roller bearing into these...

i had a girlfriend a while ago that had a little civic and wanted her car lowered. found a set much like these (but cheaper lol) and put them on thinking if they didn't work i wasn't out much money. they actually made a nice improvement and fit pretty well. not top shelf but they worked and better then stock. that experience was what made me take a look at these.

as far as what shocks it fits, it has 3 different sized o-rings that let you run different size shocks in them.
Tire clearence is an issue. You usually end up with about 1/4 -1/2" of clearence with 275/40/17s.

Aren't civics double wishbone front suspension?

O-rings for sizing? or sleeves? Either way these are probably going to pop and ping a bit.

For the price, someone should try them

e90 328i
post #12 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

well if its like the other kit the o rings go inside the sleeves to make them not rattle. on the civic i heard literally no new noises...

now I know these are cheap but really its just some threaded aluminum which doesn't seem like it would be that pricey to produce and pretty hard to mess up.

the clearance issues are on the front correct? i have 275's on the front and 315's on the rear. what size springs are on 'normal' coilover kits? i will e-mail the guy and ask him so we (or at least me if no one else cares hehe) can get some data on the spring size

huesmann care to elaborate?
post #13 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 02:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
If there are o-rings to center the threaded sleeve on the strut housing, how much area on the bottom of the sleeve is left over to rest on the strut ears? What if you use this kit with a Bilstein strut? What does the sleeve sit on?

I'm obviously biased, but I see many problems ahead. It's not so much a matter of what will be wrong with the kit. It is more a matter of will anything be right with the kit.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #14 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 03:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Are those springs rates at the wheel? 218 and 123? I'd look into that a little further too. Maybe the owner pulled those numbers out of a hat?

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #15 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Those spring rates seem strange because these springs are probably metric. For metric springs the rates are usually specified in N/mm. 218lbs/in is 38N/mm. 123lbs/in is 21.5N/mm.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #16 of 16 Old 05-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Ahhhhh.....

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement