10 point streetable roll cage....... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
10 point streetable roll cage.......

Who makes a 10 point roll cage out of mild steel(I'm mig welding mine), that doesnt pierce through the dash board? Similar to this pic....

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 2ndsideways; 05-19-2009 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-20-2009, 04:56 AM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (82)
autoweld google it. They have real nice stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

M-F 9am-6pm PST
1-818-574-FUEL (3835)

AIM: HighFlowFuel

PM or Email us for the absolute BEST pricing on:
AEM | AFR | ARP | BBK | Bosch | Fuelab | Injector Dynamics | Innovate | Magnaflow | Maximum Motorsports
Phenix Industries | RC Engineering | Siemens | StopTech | Walbro | QFS 340LPH Fuel Pumps
And More!
post #3 of 4 Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't see the purpose in that cage other than looking cool. Any added protection is going to be miniscule compared to the cost of the thing

The door bars are non-functional, for the most part, They're not adding much, if any protection for the occupants. The downtubes aren't going to stand up to much force in a rollover before the bend and collapse. In a side-impact, they're more likely to collapse inwards since there's not a knee-bar running under (or behind) the dash to the other side. If there's not a halo-bar (or the equivalent) connecting the two at the roof, that's even worse (can't tell from the photos.)

With no photos of the main hoop or the rear downtubes, I can't coment on that, but given what I see, I don't have high hopes.

This "cage" is probably OK for HPDE-type stuff, and it might be OK for the NHRA or IHRA for slower ETs, but no road racing organization would let it pass tech.

And I have serious misgivings about using cages on the street. A roll bar is OK, provided there are no rear seat passengers, but a full cage on the street introduces more dangers than it eliminates, IMHO.

It you're not driving with a helmet, your unprotected head is too close to the halo bar. In an accident, you stang a good chance of smashing you head against it rather than against the relativly softer plastic interior bits. Even if it's padded, it's a problem. If you're using SFI-rated padding (as you should, anywhere your head might hit,) its designed for use with helmets, not against an upprotected head. And the stuff is HARD. Hitting a pothole, I still wouldn't want to smack my head against it. The non-SFI stuff masde of softer stuff won't sufficiently protect your head in an accident, either.

Leave the cages for the track, guys. If you REALLY want something, a bolt-in Autopower roll bar works really, really well. It's removable iin case you want to sell the car later, it's approved by many sanctioning bodies, and provided you don't carry rear seat passengers, relatively safe for the street.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-20-2009, 07:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
That cage looks good for only on thing, making it a real pain in the ass to get in and out of the car. If you're going to do a cage, run the front down bars though the dash so they are farther forward and not right there in the way of getting in and out of the car.

Those door bars are not helping at all either.

And everything else the post above me says.

GriggsRacing-KenneBell-ModularPowerHouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement