fox suspension question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
fox suspension question

how do you guys think i would do putting 97 cobra vert springs and dampers on my 86 coupe? i got things bounching around in my head saying it could work well or horribly, so i need some additional input

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-18-2009, 06:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is your intention's with this Car ? Street, Auto-X or Open Track ???

We need more info... The springs will fit, But I'm not sure if Vert Rates are what you want .Your Ride Height might not be right either, as your 86 weighs about 500 lbs less. . A lot of Fox Guy's Have used the Mach 1 springs along with Mach 1 Struts/Shocks as they are shorter.

I think you should stick to Fox Springs/Struts as there will be no ride Height issues.

scott

Last edited by Scott Peters; 05-18-2009 at 06:21 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

im looking to do auto-x with occasional 1/4 passes and street, but wanna set it up for auto x before the new motor it tipped the scales at 2900lbs with iron heads and stock kmember and a arms so it should be a little less than that when its all said and done

i was thinking of that but i have a set w/ 3k miles from my x-stepdad's 97 cobra vert so i was just curious how they would work out for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
If you have the stock 86 spindles on the car, the later struts won't work - mounting tabs are not wide enough. Besides, they were designed for a lower spindle mounting point which makes them roughly 1" longer than the Fox - not good on a lowered Fox.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-20-2009, 10:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
qtracer,
Good point about the Spindles on pre 87 Cars. I missed that one as I keep forgetting that I changed to 87-93 V8 spindle years ago.

also Correct about the Struts on Sn95's being Longer and could be a Problem if His stang is Lowered.

On My 84, I run 79-86 Koni Reds, and I had to add 1/8" spacer's on each side and slot the upper hole on the struts to fit them on the narrower 87-93 spindle.

86fiveoh:
It seems that once again that this forum has much to offer and from much better people than me LOL...( I'm old and forget alot ), But please Post more about your stang, as in order to help you,we still need more info on the suspension of your Car.

Last info I could find on a 97 Cobra springs were Hard Top Cobra Springs.The Fronts are Variable Rate 400/505 and the rear is 165/265. I'm not sure if the Rates are the same for Verts. I got this info on the Net. There used to be a Chart on Stangsupension.com , but they went out of buisness.

If those are the correct rates, they won't help you much for Auto-X , but might be nice for a Street drivin Car. Not sure what your Ride Height would be either. In any event, I still feel that you will need to upgrade your Struts and stocks to match what Ever Spring you select.

Scott

84 GT, 5.0l, 5spd, SFC'S,LCB, 5300C Springs, Koni Reds, MMCC Plates, Cobra MC, Turbo Coupe Rear Disc&North Racer Brackets, 5 Lug with Tri-Stars, Alum DS, K&N, 86-93 exhaust/Dyno-Max Cat Back & Holley Street Avenger 570....Auto-X'er
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 AM Thread Starter

yea i decided to go with something different (im going to be running brakes and spindles off of a 97 cobra, coincidence, not off the same one) but i figure since im putting as much work into the engine as i am, might as well go all the way on everything else, just need to decide on shocks/struts and springs still

the car is gonna be set up for auto-x but will be street driven on occasion and drag raced too, its an all stock suspension so im kinda starting with a clean slate

i was considering the kenny brown subframe connectors, jacking rails and X brace for stiffening up the car, would that be overkill for the car, and just a regular set of weld in subframes suffice? or would the extra $ be worth it?
post #7 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
yea i decided to go with something different (im going to be running brakes and spindles off of a 97 cobra, coincidence, not off the same one) but i figure since im putting as much work into the engine as i am, might as well go all the way on everything else, just need to decide on shocks/struts and springs still?
Read the MM tech on fox spindle changes; running a 97 spindle on stock pre 96 k member cars is not recommended due to bumpsteer problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fiveoh View Post
i was considering the kenny brown subframe connectors, jacking rails and X brace for stiffening up the car, would that be overkill for the car, and just a regular set of weld in subframes suffice? or would the extra $ be worth it?
I'm not sure KB is back in business 100% yet - if at all. But if you are considering certain autocross classes, those matrix braces and jacking rails will put you into an impossible class with an otherwise stock car. Frankly, I have them on my 01 vert and for a vert, these things ar great - adds about 27 pounds but the chassis flex is significantly reduced - in fact, I can raise three of four wheels off the ground from one side and the doors still open/close without issues. I have standard SFCs (read, no extra bracing and not even the full length) on my 86 vert and even here, flex is reduced but not like with the KB matrix/jacking rail combo. If you want this design, I beleive Global West also sells a similar set-up. Otherwise, I'd go with the MM full-length and be done with it - at least some autocross classes permit that design.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-21-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtrracer View Post
Read the MM tech on fox spindle changes; running a 97 spindle on stock pre 96 k member cars is not recommended due to bumpsteer problems.
yea i for got to mention i was planning on running an aftermarket k member and a arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement