Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar with Bassani Exhaust - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-16-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Maximum Motorsports Panhard Bar with Bassani Exhaust

I'm installing an MM Panhard Bar in my '91 and I have found out the hard way that the Bassani tailpipes don't come close to clearing the Chassis mount on the PHB.

I've read that the Flowmaster and Dynomax cat backs will clear the PHB mount but does anyone know if I can just use the Flowmaster or Dynomax tails with my existing Bassani X-Pipe, mid-pipes and mufflers?

I'd prefer the Flowmaster because of price but I'll use whatever I'm more sure will work. I've considered having an exhaust shop modify my existing tails but they never fit that great anyway, they rubbed the axle and the fuel tank plus they actually melted the underside of my Cobra rear bumper because they wouldn't line up any lower than I had them (I would've tried to bend or lengthen the hangers but I didn't realize until too late).

Last edited by MJ91GT; 05-16-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
I fought and fought the Bassani kit on my '95 with the T/A and the PHB. End result was new over the axle tubes made at a custom exhaust shop using my Bassani tips.

There is just too much going on back there and add in a wider tire and wheel with more offset and more problems come calling.

Good luck.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Well I answered my own question and figured the info might be usefull to someone in the same boat.

I ordered up the 2.5" flowmaster tailpipes and they did fit with the Bassani X-pipe, mid-pipes, and mufflers. I needed a 2.5" ID to 2.5" ID collar and two extra exhaust clamps to mate the pipes to the mufflers because the Flowmaster tails have the same 2.5" OD ends as the Bassani mufflers, they also wouldn't have slid over the mufflers even if they were expanded with a pipe expander because they came right to the muffler but would have been too short to slide over.

I'm also much happier that I have more tire clearance, fuel tank clearance, and I can actually fit the PHB up there and not rumble/choke myself out of the seat with dumps. They're still real close to the Cervini's Cobra bumper but since it's already melted and that fact is hidden by the pipe, it's no big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-30-2009, 11:32 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
SLP cat-backs will fit as well. I bought one for a 96-98 Cobra for my Fox body and it worked like a charm.

Only modification was to the flow tubes, they had to be moved back to clear the Torque Arm crossmember.

1989 GT- Prowler Orange Pearl
Engine:
331, AFR 185, FTI cam, 90mm LMAF/30 lb, TFS-R intake, BBK LT's, X-pipe, Spintech mufflers
Suspension:MM: TA, PHB, Rear LCA's, C/C Plates, H&R Race Springs, Bilstein HD's, SFC's, Moser 28 splines, 3.73's, Cobra brakes,10th Anniv. Cobra wheels
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I consider myself lucky that it worked out, I had no plans on mixing and matching parts on the cat back but I really didn't want to pony up for a full cat back exhaust when I have a pretty good one that matches up with the x-pipe well. From what I understand, the x-pipe's scavenging effect becomes negated with chambered mufflers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement