MM Torque Arm / PanHard Users........ - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
MM Torque Arm / PanHard Users........

I just got done putting the MM HD torque arm and pan hard on my fox body. The tail pipes I know I need to get some dyno max to fit correctly but I tried the H-Pipe and am stumped. The couplers that join the h-pipe to the intermediate pipes are directly under the TA mount and the driver side is too close to the TA bushing hub.

Question is, those of you running this set up, what if any shelf h or x pipes work? I searched and it appears I may end up hacking anything that I chose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I am in somewhat the same boat, except my HD torque arm is not on yet. I have been looking for any information of an off the shelf exhaust setup that will clear all the suspension parts, so far about the best I have found is to mod it.

post #3 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

It seams if you have to mod an off the shelf H or X pipe, why not just get one custom bent. I am afraid thats where I am headed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I really am not sure what I plan on doing at this point, my exhaust is basicly stock except for flowmasters mufflers. More than likely I will just have a local shop make the stock setup work for now. I am still trying to figure out what I plan on doing for a motor, between 347, 408, or turbo 302.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The shop that put my TA on modified my OE setup. They didn't cut/re-weld anything just kinda tweaked it down a bit and rotated the couplers a bit. It still kinda banged/clanked around from time to time.

I went with LT headers and after a fiasco with the PYPES ill-fitting shorty H-pipe, I got my money back and just went MIDAS.

It's sooo much more clean/simple now. I think MIDAS charged 150-180$ for mid pipe.

Hi-Temp rattle can coated. 4 nuts and the whole exhaust is off:

post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 08:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (26)
I made mine, the BBK and prochamber I had didnt fit at all.

90 GT black, V2 SI-Trim, Blow-Thru A/A Intercooler
stage 3 "Y" heads/ Bennett Racing intake, TFS#1, long tubes, 3"Pro-Dumps/H-pipe, TKO500, 3.55's, Home made TA and PHB, cobra brakes, 22 gallon Fuel Safe Cell, PMS tuned etc.. built for twisties
post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 09:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
MM used to recommend Bassani X-pipes. They probably still do. Only minimal modification is needed

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
post #8 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 10:52 AM

I used a Dr. Gas X-pipe kit. Thge kit comes with the X section and 4 indivifual tubes. This lets you assemble the whole thing and mive things around a bit to get it to fit correctly, Then you can either clamp everything together or get it welded. I had mine welded. Fits like a glove.

(BTW -- My TA is custom-made, but has the same fitment issues you'll have with any torque arm. Perhaps moreso since my front TA mount is a good deal larger than most.)

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #9 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

2k2gt - How did you get them to work on your car with no cats? I would absolutely take advantage of that scenario. I spoke this morning with a local chassis / fab shop and they want waaaaaay too much money to make an x-pipe. I have a tig and mig welder, just dont have the time to spend an afternoon f-n around with something that can be done for $150.00. By the way, the k-member went perfect, took longer checking and double checking my measurements than to R&R the kmember.

Last edited by JDUBU; 05-01-2009 at 11:55 AM.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 11:31 AM

I drove the car down there with my autocross magnets/stickers on the doors....I just had open headers and my mufflers in the trunk.

The car already has a rollbar in it, but it's a full street car. At first they balked on the idea, but I told them it's a race car and pointed out the stickers and roll bar. I then told them i'd take my license plate off while it was up in the air and them working on it just to be safe.

I don't live in some big city, just some little hole in the wall town, so maybe thats why they "good ol' boy'd" me.

I figured the worst they could tell me was "no", so I took my chances.

Of course, you hafta listen to Bubba tell you about all the fast 7 sec. drag cars he's owned while he puts your pipe on. I just kept noddin' my head and say, "Thats awesome!"

post #11 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 11:34 AM

It also helps if you trailer the car there.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #12 of 15 Old 05-01-2009, 11:58 AM

Yea, trailer would work too.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 10:38 AM
WJL

This is what I installed in my car.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Puts the x right under the trans and cleans up the rest.

Last edited by WJL; 05-03-2009 at 10:44 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 11:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
My 88 has BBK long tubes and the BBK X pipe. I didn't install my TA myself because I was aware of the X pipe not fitting. So I took my car to a reputable shop and let them do the work. There was some serious cutting and welding of the X pipe. I played it smart before taking it to them to install the TA. When I installed the panhard bar I also installed a brand new Dynomax cat back. I connected the cat back with the supplied clamps and didn't weld the system together. When I took the car in for the TA install the shop could then adjust, cut, weld, bend, or whatever with the flow tubes and the X pipe to make things work right. The biggest issue you'll find with all of the aftermarket pieces is that the ball and socket flanges that hold the pipes together will hit the TA cross brace somewhere. Some brands, X or H, will work by just turning the flanges. But that is a trial and error, case by case deal.

www.almost4.com
post #15 of 15 Old 05-04-2009, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJL View Post
This is what I installed in my car.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Puts the x right under the trans and cleans up the rest.
That looks promising!! You did not have to do any cutting etc to get it to bolt up to your mid pipes etc?

I just bought on Friday the Dynomax cat back with the Ultra flow SS mufflers. That should take care of the panhard area of the exhaust. If this is a straight forward set up up with no or minimal cutting I am in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement