Next upgrade, which transmission? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 04-14-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (10)
Next upgrade, which transmission?

I am almost done with my suspension/brake upgrades and the next step is transmission. Currently my 90 Fox is AOD equiped, I plan on going to a manual of some sort...but I am not sure which at this point.
I have heard alot of complaints how notchy TKO 500/600 and the shifting issues at higher RPM, which I don't think will be an issue for me. I had looked at Astro geared T5, but I hard the T5 case has durabiltiy issues. And basicly the last item on the list is a T56, right now I think I am leaning in this direction but the overall price of the swap scares me.

My car will be open tracked/autocrossed a half dozen or so times a year, and driven about once a week at most. Right now I still don't know what I am doing for a motor but its either going to be mild 408 (which is the first choice right now) or turboed 302.

What transmission would you all recommend for this? If I can find a T5 cheap that might just get slapped in there till I build the motor.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-15-2009, 09:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I think a built T-5 or a TKO 500 would work well for you. The TKO shifting problems are mostly in the 6500+ RPM range that the 4V modulars see. For a 2V modular or 5.0 based application it shouldn't be much of an issue. A T-56 might work for you if your torque curve is flat enough. If not you'll either want to change the 1st gear ratio or go with something like a 4.30 or 4.56 gear out back to make the most use of the T-56.

'99 SVT Cobra #2085 -- MAC Cat-Back, MAC O/R H, C&L Intake, Steeda UDPs, FRPP 4.10s, B&M Pro Ripper Shifter, UPR Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, Hawk HPS Pads, Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Too Much Suspension Stuff to List, Custom Tuned by Tillman Speed -- 306 whp/301 wtq
post #3 of 3 Old 04-15-2009, 02:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I went with the T-56. I wanted the usable 5th gear for OT days and 6th is great for freeway use. There have been no shifting problems, but I shift at 6k RPM.

Depending on which T-56 you get, Cobra or Viper, will depend on the rear gears. I have the Cobra version and 3.55s. No first gear issues...it's a very short gear, as is 2nd.

I pieced my setup together for half of what D&D charges, and I had a drive shaft made...no shortening of the one I already had. Google the part numbers to find the best prices. I did have the luxury of a good shop that had done a T-56 install in a fox before too

1993 GT 310rwhp / 351rwtq
AFR FTI EDEL Combo. MM, T-56 3.73, Brembo, 275s on 03 Cobras all around
Sponsored Links
Advertisement