Front Control Arm Bushing Recommendation - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
Front Control Arm Bushing Recommendation

Just finished the MM PHB install along with their lower control arms on the rear of my 95 cobra. I also purchase H&R race springs and Koni Yellows at the same time. I am now working on the front suspension. I currently have new 03 cobra control arms, MM caster plates, poly rack bushings, steering shaft and end links. I would love to go tubular with coil overs in the front, but no can afford this year. Maybe next year.

My question is this: Do you think it is worth putting poly bushings in the 03 contol arms for this year. I plan to replace them with tubular arms next year, but since they are off the car now, it may be worth it. Unfortunatley budget is tight right now, but if the majority says yes, then I will sacrifice in other places and get the bushings. Thoughts?

1995 Rio Red Supercharged Cobra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 08:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I personally wouldn't bother putting tubular control arms on your car unless you installed the MM K-member as well. I put '03 control arms on my '00 GT a couple years ago and have been happy with their performance. I also run H&R Race Springs in the front, but with Bilstein HD. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between the Cobra LCA's and the MM tubular units (other than NVH from the bushings). With or without coilovers. I would do a torque arm instead. Just my $.02

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #3 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2kgt View Post
I personally wouldn't bother putting tubular control arms on your car unless you installed the MM K-member as well. I put '03 control arms on my '00 GT a couple years ago and have been happy with their performance. I also run H&R Race Springs in the front, but with Bilstein HD. I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between the Cobra LCA's and the MM tubular units (other than NVH from the bushings). With or without coilovers. I would do a torque arm instead. Just my $.02
Did you use the stock 03 cobra control arm bushings??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 PM

Yes, and I believe that the '03-'04 Cobra bushings are stiffer than both of our stock bushings. Don't get me wrong, the MM K-member and control arms are great - when used together. I would get the rear end completely fixed with a torque arm or parallel upper control arms. Plus, you can do coil overs on the front right now, then decide if you want to spring for the K-member and front control arms later. I would do that myself but SCCA class rules don't allow K-member swaps in Street Modified or ESP. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of moving from SM to ESP. Now that SFC's are allowed, all I need to do is swap in 3.55 gears for my 3.73's, and get rid of my adjustable rear LCA's, and replace them with stockers. Fortunately my PHB and Evolution Tri-Link can carry over to ESP. I'll still get my ass handed to me on a monthly basis, but I'll be legal.

Chris Boyd
#7 ESP
'00 GT - Now with Tri-link!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-14-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2kgt View Post
Yes, and I believe that the '03-'04 Cobra bushings are stiffer than both of our stock bushings. Don't get me wrong, the MM K-member and control arms are great - when used together. I would get the rear end completely fixed with a torque arm or parallel upper control arms. Plus, you can do coil overs on the front right now, then decide if you want to spring for the K-member and front control arms later. I would do that myself but SCCA class rules don't allow K-member swaps in Street Modified or ESP. As a matter of fact, I'm in the process of moving from SM to ESP. Now that SFC's are allowed, all I need to do is swap in 3.55 gears for my 3.73's, and get rid of my adjustable rear LCA's, and replace them with stockers. Fortunately my PHB and Evolution Tri-Link can carry over to ESP. I'll still get my ass handed to me on a monthly basis, but I'll be legal.

Thanks for the info. I see you are running the tri-link. I wish I had jumped on the tri-link too. Unfortunately, evolution closed up shop about a month before I was ready to order. I thought that the tri-link was a perfect alternative to the TA. I still search regularly for a used one.

post #6 of 6 Old 04-15-2009, 07:33 AM

I think you said that your CAs are off the car.If that's the case I would put on the poly bushings.I have a mach1 that does HPDE duty and I have put together the MM R&T box a piece at the time.I still don't have the aluminum rack bushings or the steering shaft.I opted for the poly rack pieces.In Jan I changed out the front CA pieces for poly.It made a noticeable diff on the track.Turn in seems sooo much quicker and precise.You will notice more NVH on rough roads though.The cost of the bushings are only 15-20 bucks.There is alot of labor but if your CAs are already off then most of the work is done.You probably have Hydro-bushings which took me forever to burn,scrape,etc. to remove the old bushings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement