Impact of Engine Weight and CG on Handling - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Impact of Engine Weight and CG on Handling

I curious to get some of you guys theories and/or knowledge on the impact of engine weight on Mustang handling. My question is how would swapping a motor than has a iron block/aluminum head SOHC, and therefore low center of gravity for an all aluminum DOHC setup which would have a lower overall weight but much higher center of gravity. Doing some rough calculations it seems that swapping motors could increase the weight of the engine up top by roughly 20%. This is working on the assumption, just for the sake of arguement, that the SOHC weighs 500# and the AL DOHC weight 425#. It looks like the difference in the block is 100#, and the DOHC weigh about 25# more than the SOHC.

Based on a test peformed by 5.0, the Bullitt was the better than the Mach 1 in the slalom. http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea...son/index.html

Before anyone thinks I am biased, I do own a Bullitt but I have a Mach 1 motor that I was planning on swapping into the car. Since I auto cross the car a lot, this has me second guessing that move.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Based on a test peformed by 5.0, the Bullitt was the better than the Mach 1 in the slalom
What about suspension differences? I tried Googling the specs for both models and it seems like they may have more differences than just the engine.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

The Mach 1 suspension and Bullitt suspension are very similar. Both have 600/250 springs and the sam struts and shocks. They might have different sways, but I'm not 100% certain. Mach has 3.55 gear stock, Bullitt has 3.27

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

The difference can be found here:

http://www.mach1registry.com/specs/specs.htm

post #5 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 03:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I would go with just an Explorer alum. 2v motor if I was going to replace the current mod motor with another mod motor.

However, when/if this motor gives up the ghost, i'm 99% sure i'm just going to put an LS2 or LS3 GM engine it. Less weight and TONS more power.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the explorer engine would be about 100 lighter I suppose.

If you put an LS_ motor in your car, you are really going to get hazed. Isn't that a pretty expensive swap?

post #7 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 04:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I don't care, the Mustang is just a modern day "kit car". People put SLA front suspensions on them all the time....just like the F-body guys.

As for the expense. You can get a brand new crate LS motor from Summit/Jegs for around 4 grand. I don't think you can get an N/A mod motor to the power levels for roughly the same price. With a blower/turbo....sure, but theres all that weight again.

I don't think it's that difficult. No more difficult than putting a fuel injected pushrod Ford motor in the car.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-10-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

That's is what's great about Mustangs all the stuff you can do. I think a 460 ci New Edge would be cooler though but the LS motors aren't bad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement