Autocross class for 85 SVO - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Autocross class for 85 SVO

I've been running SM, because of my welded in subframe connectors, and adjustable boost control. Now they've made subframe connectors legal for ESP, and I'm running the stock BCS at this time.
I was going to run ESP, but upon further reading found where my Maximum Motorsport rear control arms might not be legal. They're the adjustable height ones. ESP allows ride height to be lowered by springs only if I read it right. They also have spherical bearings at one end, and I think ESP allows for different durometer bushings, but not spherical bearings.
Changing camshafts is also not allowed, I've got a roller cam in it, but I'm sure nobodies going to have me open the engine up.
I hope to run enough events this year to qualify for a trophy, and don't want to be accused of cheating.
I'd love to run with other Mustangs, but for some reason the GT's are in a different class. I get stuck racing Subarus, Lancers and Hondas and others in SM.
What do you think I should run?

David
85 SVO for Haulin' A$$
2002 F-150 for Haulin' everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by indysvodave View Post
I've been running SM, because of my welded in subframe connectors, and adjustable boost control. Now they've made subframe connectors legal for ESP, and I'm running the stock BCS at this time.
I was going to run ESP, but upon further reading found where my Maximum Motorsport rear control arms might not be legal. They're the adjustable height ones. ESP allows ride height to be lowered by springs only if I read it right. They also have spherical bearings at one end, and I think ESP allows for different durometer bushings, but not spherical bearings.
Changing camshafts is also not allowed, I've got a roller cam in it, but I'm sure nobodies going to have me open the engine up.
I hope to run enough events this year to qualify for a trophy, and don't want to be accused of cheating.
I'd love to run with other Mustangs, but for some reason the GT's are in a different class. I get stuck racing Subarus, Lancers and Hondas and others in SM.
I believe the only thing keeping you out of ESP is the spherical ends, the adjustable perch is allowed. If the cams only difference is that it is Roller(below is the rule for cams), it is ESP legal?
Are you using a DOT slick or street tire? Maybe run SM Street Tire?

Quote:
Camshafts and related parts must remain standard except that
alternate cam drive pulleys or gears may be used to adjust cam
timing if no variable cam and/or valve timing system exists as
standard. Type of cam drive (chain, belt, gear) must remain as
standard. Alternate parts of the same general type (e.g. roller
chain in place of ‚Äúsilent‚ÄĚ chain) may be substituted. Mating parts
(block, heads, covers, retainers, etc.) may not be altered. Vehicles
equipped with a variable cam and/or valve timing system
as standard may use alternate computer calibration to adjust
cam and/or valve timing but may not change or substitute cam
drive components (hardware).

86 GT, Cobra brakes, Koni, MB Competition, 3.27
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
btw...GT's are also in SM if that is where their mods put them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
If I interpret this rule correctly, your adj. boost control is allowed in ESP.

Quote:
15.10.C.4.f in rules-Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical,
and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be
altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost
pressure changes resulting from authorized changes are
permitted.

post #5 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 02:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:

SP rules now allow SFC's, but there are provisions. They cannot be seam welded, they can only acutally attach at basically 3 points, not become defacto frame rails.

The aftermarket LCA's are not legal in ESP, period.

Boost is open in SP now. You have to run stock turbo, but you can up the boost as much as you want.

Aftermarket cams are not legal either.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM

dave, are you plannin on runnin mostly indy events or columbus?

gumby
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any I can make time for...
Thanks guys for the input. I got a smokin deal on the control arms, and didn't even think about the SCCA rules.
Might just run SM and be safe.
I'm running Khumo 712, but have a lighter set of beater rims I'm wanting to put some softer DOT legal tires on eventually. I haven't autocrossed ina a couple years, so I need to brush up on my driving more than anything else.

David
85 SVO for Haulin' A$$
2002 F-150 for Haulin' everything else
Sponsored Links
Advertisement