UCA'a and quads... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Trader Feedback: (11)
UCA'a and quads...

I should have a MM Starter Box upgraded to front coil overs coming in the mail this week. Will begin the tear down tomorrow, and then begin installing the shocks, struts, springs, control arms, and Cobra brakes. I've read that too much bind from the upper control arms can cause some unpredictability. I'm planning on doing a MM PHB & TA next year. Should I just save my time and leave my stock uppers in place for now, until they get eliminated? Or will the after market ones do more good than harm?

The car will see street driving and auto-x. Also, are the quad shocks necessary anymore? I will be running Nitto 555's in 285/35/ZR18's out back. The car may see a pass or two at the local drag strip.

Many thanks.

-stew

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
The advice I've heard from MM is to run stock uppers until you go PHB/TA route.

Quote:
We performed extensive testing of rear upper control arm bushing materials during the development of our Panhard Bar. When retaining the original four-link suspension, the best compromise between resistance to suspension bind, best control of axle position, best ride quality, and least potential damage to the chassis, is to retain rubber bushings in the rear upper control arms. This is especially important when adding a Panhard Bar. The compliance of a rubber-bushed upper control arm is required when a Panhard bar is added to the Mustang four-link suspension.
MM UCA Page

Usually you will be cool with removing the quad-shocks after you install that MM package. However, some cars will still experience wheel hop. It is a "remove it and see what happens" type of question.

1988 Mustang LX 5.0
http://whatdoesphilknow.wordpress.com/

Last edited by frink84; 04-06-2009 at 06:43 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the help, Frink. I think I'm gonna sell my upper and lower control arms and buy the MM lca's, leaving the stockers on top for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Frink's got it right. Ditch those quads and never look back.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. The LCA's I have (Alston Race Cars) will be going in, the MM adjustable's are gonna have to wait. Upon dissecting the car today I've come to realize rear end is effin' toasted. I knew it was weak, it had a bit of a howl; but taking the cover off; it's unserviceable. A used ring and pinion, new clutches for the track-loc, new seals, bearings and I'll be set. Until the next landmine....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement