Watch this video and give me swaybar advice please
See my sig for the overall setup and car.
Here's the history: I installed all the MM components you see in my sig, with the A-arms in the lower position on the K-member and with the stock 5.0swaybars. I ran 2.8-3.0 degrees neg camber on track. The result was a far-improved car, but the dominant behavior in steady-state cornering was understeer. The outside edges of the front tires were being punished even with the negative camber.
Next step: I moved the A-arms up to the higher position, raising the roll center and improving the camber curve. Result: Steady-state understeer was even worse.
Next step: I installed a 4-cylinder front swaybar, the smallest available for the platform. Result: Much better, but a lot of body roll and still a little more understeer than I'd like. Tires throughout this process ranged from Kumho MX to Bridgestone RE-01R's to Dunlop Direzzas to NT01 R-comps. All of them in 245/45-17 on 17x8 wheels.
Latest step: I installed an EVM rear swaybar, set as stiff as a stock Cobra bar in its current setting. This is stiffer than the stock 5.0 bar I had on the rear. Result: Much improved balance, in fact a tendency to oversteer in the sharpest, flattest corner of Heartland Park (entry to turn 14, leading back onto the straight). Tire shoulders show some wear but not punishment. Right front tire still shows signs of scrubbing, although I'm careful to manage slip so the tires squeal, not scream and howl.
That's the setup you see in the video, starting at 1:25. I held up my buddy Dan in his 93 viper for a lap early in the session specifically so I could capture this
So, after all that is said...here's what I'm thinking. That's still a #### ton of body roll. It may in fact be worse off than trading theoretical lateral grip due to load transfer and flattening the car to keep the tires planted better. So do I put my stock 5.0 front bar back on, stiffening the front, and putting the rear bar at full stiff, which is something like 15% stiffer than it is now?
Thanks for reading.
- '92 5-sp LX coupe, TKO, 3.55s, pulleys, Al DS, 1-5/8 shorties, Magnaflow spun metallic cats, 2.5 Dynomax VT's, Pro5.0 w/ Steeda Comfort Pro
- GT40Y's, E cam, Cobra intake, tmoss ported lower, FRPP 65mm TB, BBK 75mm MAF, 155 lph pump, FRPP oil cooler, Al rad, 130amp alt, Energy mounts
- Autopower 4-point bar, 5-pt harnesses, MM weld-in subs and STB
- MM K-member/A-arms/Coilovers, 425# springs, MM cc plates, Koni Yellow DA's
- MM adj rear LCA's/torque arm/panhard bar, 500# rear springs, Eibach swaybar, Koni Yellow SA's
- SN95 Cobra brakes, FR500 17x9 wheels, Raybestos ST47 pads
- 3400 lbs with me and 1/2 tank of gas
- Regional autocross champ 99-02, 10,100 miles on 17 tracks
Last edited by MFE; 04-04-2009 at 09:59 AM.