MM Rear CO Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
MM Rear CO Question

I have had MM Rear Coil Overs for about 8 months now and the car became my daily driver soon after the coil over install. I have been noticing that the rear was really noisy and when I looked today there seems to be a space under the rubber busing in the top mount. I can see maybe 1/8" of the shaft now but when I installed it there was no shaft at all and it felt tight.

I tried tightening the nut down but the shaft just spins. Is this normal for the strut to settle like this and should I find a way to tighten the nut down some more?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Does it spin with the suspension loaded?

post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Yes it does spin with the suspension loaded. I was actually trying to tighten it with the car on the ground. Now the car is light in the rear so should I try loading it up with a few children and trying again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2009, 01:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Maybe i'm reading something wrong here, but unless you have an impact gun you need to hold the shaft with the allen key tool to keep it from spinning.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Assuming that you have Bilstein rear shocks, the installation instructions for the coilover kit are located here:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...p/MMCO-3r4.pdf

Installing the complete coilover assembly, including tightening the shock nut on top, is covered in steps 33-36. If this procedure was followed during the initial installation, nothing should have moved causing a gap between the rubber bushing and the top of the shock tower. There is nothing to "settle". If the instruction weren't followed, it is entirely possible for the circlip to no longer be in the groove on the shock shaft. This could cause the gap that you are describing.

Is there a gap on both sides or only one side of the car?

Is the gap present when the car is on the ground?

Is the gap present when the axle is hanging at full droop?

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Doh! After re reading the direction I remembered that I didn't do the 4 more turns after the dragging started as stated in step 36.

I was also doing the fronts that day so I went to the front with the intention of comming back to the rear once I got the impact gun out.

The impact gun will make a reappearance tonight and this should all be resolved. Thanks Jack!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
You definitely should not be using the impact gun on the rear. It must be tightened with an open end wrench and an allen wrench. There is no other way to get the 4 turns of preload.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement