ATTN: Shelby GT Owners... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
ATTN: Shelby GT Owners...

help me please

Every time i search the forums for "shelby GT" i get a bunch of crap on GT500s...

I'm considering selling my 1995 M3 for a 2007-2008 GT 5 speed. I'm not looking for a car thats as track tuned as my car (alot of go fast goodies on it but maintenance is a pain in a car this age) i'm just looking for a reliable daily driver that can see the track from time to time. It will hurt to sell my M3 since it has been upkept to the highest standard and if any buyers remorse occures, a car in similar shape will be almost impossible to find... with that in mind...

How many of you guys use this car for these purposes? I love Mr. Shelby's history and accomplishments probably more than the next guy, but is a $10K premium worth the price of admission? I could easily get a 2005 GT and put the FRPP packages on it and save a bunch of cash while i'm at it...

Looking forward to any help and advice.

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 03:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Unless you are constrained by rules (as we are in SCCA stock class Solo), I'd say you can get more bang for your buck with a non-Shelby and some mods...although, long term, a Shelby will hold its value a little better (not saying "investment" here!!) and you always get screwed on the cost of hard parts, come sale time.

Here's a car for sale that could be a perfect compromise:

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/307445.aspx

post #3 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
A Shelby GT is a cool car, and a real Shelby (registry and all). I use one to autox as do others. So there are folks out there using the cars for competition purposes.

The truth is we do it because the rules are setup in such a way for autocrossing we can't build a GT to the same spec and run the same class--at least not easily. If you have no rules, we can easily tweak and build a GT to the same spec, and even better for less money than an SGT cost. No Shelby name, so if that's important than the SGT is the way to go.

I have a proven record with the car. I sell all the parts to set cars up, and know how to do it.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 03:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
BTW, I see you are in Baltimore... Come down to FedEx Field in DC on 4/11 (saturday) for the Autocrosser Inc. event and you'll see at least a few SGT's banging around--including me.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #5 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 03:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
If you aren't looking for an F-Stock killer then I would go with teh 05+ body style and upgrade as you see fit. If you are only looking to buy a car as is, without doing any work to it the price of admission might be worth it to you. Not to mention the cool factor of a unique car. I also would buy a SGT for the purpose of FS unless you are going to bring it to full prep immeidately (at least the hot tire setup). Pretty soon the new body style 2010's will be out, they are based on the 08/09 Bullitt platform and are available with the Track Pak as factory options. Even better, the 2011, reportedly, will have 400hp in the same package. You can say HP doesn't make a huge difference when auto crossing, but 85 hp in the same wrapper should couldn't hurt. All I'm saying, and I better put my flame suit on since there are two SGT owners already in this thread, is that if it is strictly for FS competition purposes, you might want to reconsider, unless you have the bankroll to take it to full prep pretty quickly, IMO.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #6 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 03:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (20)
My dad has an 07 Shelby GT, and so do a number of his friends. All have been long time Mustang owners and one is an ex-A-Sedan racer. All of them love their Shelby GT's, and a few of them will be using them HPDE events this summer. The car seems to be well suited for street use and light track use. I have driven the Shelby GT and the Mustang GT, and the suspension tweaks made a noticable difference. Even on Michigan roads, the suspension is not abusive. The car seemed very well balanced when I drove it, compared to a Mustang GT. The tires could be swapped for something more designed for performance, but that is a simple change.

Too bad you are not in Michigan, because I know of a brand new 2008 Blue/Silver Shelby GT that needs to find a home. I think it is a convertible. There was a coupe and vert, and one of them sold. PM me if you are interested.

1984 White Mustang T-Top Auto-x/HPDE
#07 CP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for my Mustang build and racing info

2011 White Fiesta SES Hatch
Ex-Ford Fiesta Movement Agent and Expert
post #7 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (5)
there is a 2008 SGT coupe 5 speed at the dealership next to my house *blue with silver stripes* with 8900 miles for $29,995. kinda hi IMO with that many miles and i'd rather have a 2007 white/silver to match my 93 GT...

i drove a GT-H last weekend in florida and loved how roomy and overall comfortable the car was but i'd like a 5 speed in the SGT were i to sell my m3 for one...

M3 is alot of fun on track however... and its already paid off... so tough to decide...

1993 Mustang GT
Maximum Motorsports, Brembo, Recaro, Etc.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-03-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prez1967 View Post
is a $10K premium worth the price of admission?
No.

Nothing Ol' Shel has touched in the past 40 years has been worth the sky-high prices he demands.

Quote:
I could easily get a 2005 GT and put the FRPP packages on it and save a bunch of cash while i'm at it...
Bingo!!

If you want to pay a premium for a super Mustang, look long and hard ad the GR40 Mustangs from Griggs Racing.

(I think, though, that you're going to be a bit disappoited after driving an M3, though. No matter what Mustang you get.)

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #9 of 9 Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 AM

I've wanted a Shelby since I was 16, that is now 32 years or so. The 1965 GT350's were always "a little" too expensive and are now $200K or more.

The new Shelby GT seemed to be perfect for me, a "real" Shelby for a reasonable price.

But even though I was only planning to do track days, I didn't like the modifications, and especially the cost of those mods.

So for autocross I understand it has some advantages. For NASA Time Trials you are given points for every change from stock, and one could argue that the FRPP parts aren't as good as aftermarket.

But, if you really want a "real" Shelby, one modified in Shelby's own shop, then there isn't a choice.

-Wayne

- Wayne
- '07 Mustang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement