autopower roll bar question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
autopower roll bar question

How much welding (if any) is needed to put into a fox? Doesn't seem that bad. I don't have access to a welder. I'm trying to decide between the roll bar and a phb/ta combination with some cash i have.

The car will be autocrossed and open tracked this year and wil have some DD duties. I'm thinking the bar will be the best (safe) money spent.

Then, is it advisable to use the stock seats with harnesses and the bar?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 08:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I thought Autopower sold pre-fabbed/assm. roll bars? My 4-point was just a "put it in the car/bolt it down" operation.

post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
I use an Autopower bolt-in, and because it's a bolt-in, there's no welding required. I use stock seats and harnesses, with the optional harness bar attached, but when I run the seat is all the way back against the bar. Shorter drivers should consider a more race-oriented seat.

However, the thin-ness of the floorpan material and the small size of the rollbar's mounting pad gave me the heeby-jeebies over the winter. So before I re-installed it again for this season, I bolted and glued in some larger reinforcement plates of 16-ga steel to spread the load around a larger area of the floorpan and up into the upright that forms the basis for the rear seat pan.

The 3 bolts in the middle of that plate are where the Autopower's baseplate holes are.

Here's how the downbars bolt in, at least in my version

The whole install before I installed the high-density padding

And the final install when I still had Corbeau seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

I pretty much thought they were bolt in. Does it come pre-painted? I'm thinking of some good seats, too. I have a 38 waist, so I'd like to try some first, but no good places around. Summit is local, but no good seats there.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Ha! I did the same thing on mine(the extra wide metal bracing). Although mine doesn't go up on the door sill like yours, it's about the same size though.

I didn't wanna post anything about it because I would need to use the words "roll bar" and "bolt in" for what I did. I figured that was open game for all the welding/roll bar/chassis stiffening Nazi's to come in and tell me how unsafe my car is and that I shouldn't track my car with other cars on the track.

post #6 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SSP View Post
I pretty much thought they were bolt in. Does it come pre-painted? I'm thinking of some good seats, too. I have a 38 waist, so I'd like to try some first, but no good places around. Summit is local, but no good seats there.
It comes either bare or with this cheap black paint to basically keep it from rusting. You can touch it up a bit with a black paint marker(or at least I do), or just use the padding to cover it up.

Expect to see scratches/scrapes on the cheap black paint....it's merely a rust inhibitor.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
You can touch it up a bit with a black paint marker(or at least I do), or just use the padding to cover it up.
Is that paint marker safe enough to keep it from rusting while someone is out on the track with you??

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

I just want to make sure I have a head/neck at the end of a weekend.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88SSP View Post
I just want to make sure I have a head/neck at the end of a weekend.
I hear ya. Same reason I installed one in my 66......or was it after my friend told me the story of how he rolled his DD Saab at Lime Rock.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
post #10 of 11 Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2GT View Post
Ha! I did the same thing on mine(the extra wide metal bracing). Although mine doesn't go up on the door sill like yours, it's about the same size though.

I didn't wanna post anything about it because I would need to use the words "roll bar" and "bolt in" for what I did. I figured that was open game for all the welding/roll bar/chassis stiffening Nazi's to come in and tell me how unsafe my car is and that I shouldn't track my car with other cars on the track.

You should really get that think welded, your going to kill someone.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipogt View Post
Is that paint marker safe enough to keep it from rusting while someone is out on the track with you??
I'm so slow, I have time to monitor the appearance of rust while out on track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement