Symptom of Pre-loaded Rear Sway? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Symptom of Pre-loaded Rear Sway?

I am thinking my rear sway is being pre-loaded on my driver's side. After installing the MM rear adjustable end-links I've noticed that whenever I hit a decent sized bump with the driver's side rear that the whole back end gives a noticable "shimmy". If I try to replicate the issue by hitting a bump with the passenger's side the shimmy is there but no where near as noticable as the driver's side. Does this sound like a sway pre-load issue or something else?

I will admit that I may not have the end-links at the same length. It was getting late and after spending almost two hours trying to get the stock end-link off (siezed bolt and rounded off stud) I was tired of messing with the thing and just wanted to be done.

If it is really pre-loaded what would be the best way to make sure the bar is neutral? Just measure and equalize the end-link lengths or disconnect them and adjust while the car is on the wheels but raised with ramps?

'99 SVT Cobra #2085 -- MAC Cat-Back, MAC O/R H, C&L Intake, Steeda UDPs, FRPP 4.10s, B&M Pro Ripper Shifter, UPR Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, Hawk HPS Pads, Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Too Much Suspension Stuff to List, Custom Tuned by Tillman Speed -- 306 whp/301 wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-01-2009, 10:10 AM

I'm just thinking out loud here...

To make sure there are no forces acting on the bar while on level ground, just unbolt each endlink, adjust each side accordingly where they bolt up with no effort.

There are a couple threads different on each side of mine, but the bar doesn't have any twist force when bolting each side up on level surfaces.

If i'm wrong, surely someone will correct me. The above is just my thoughts on the process.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

Got under the car with the suspension loaded and adjusted the rear end-links (what a PITA!!!). Had to set the driver's side to their shortest with the passenger's about 1/8th longer to get neutral. Tested it out and the shimmy is gone.

'99 SVT Cobra #2085 -- MAC Cat-Back, MAC O/R H, C&L Intake, Steeda UDPs, FRPP 4.10s, B&M Pro Ripper Shifter, UPR Clutch Quadrant/Adjuster, Hawk HPS Pads, Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Too Much Suspension Stuff to List, Custom Tuned by Tillman Speed -- 306 whp/301 wtq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-18-2009, 06:04 PM

any thought to adjusting with drivers weight in the car....

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/ProjectRudeAwakening/IMAG0005-1.jpg
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv169/ProjectRudeAwakening/CIMG1550-1.jpg
post #5 of 5 Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I had my wife sit in the car while I was making the final adjustments. Not exact since she's a good 80 pounds lighter than me but close enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement