MM Grip package questions... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Trader Feedback: (11)
MM Grip package questions...

Looking to upgrade my suspension. I Currently own (but have not installed) Alston Chassis Works rear upper and lower control arms, FRPP subframe connectors, and a BBK STB. Was gonna buy the MM Starter Box, and add a PHB later this summer or fall. After looking into some prices, the MM Sport Box sis only about $300 more than the Starter Box. Am I better off adding a PHB to the starter box or starting with the Sport box?

Starter box includes:

MM Road and Track Springs
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Urethane Pinion Snubber
Bilstein Struts and Shocks
Front and Rear Urethane Spring Isolators

Sport Box includes:

MM Strut Tower Brace
MM 4-Point K-Member Brace
MM Standard Subrame Connectors (bare steel)
MM Panhard Bar with Aluminum Rod
H&R Sport Springs
Tokico Premium Performance Front and Rear Struts
MM Caster/Camber Plates
MM Urethane Pinion Snubber
Urethane Front Spring Isolators
Urethane Rear Spring Isolators
Urethane Steering-Rack Bushings
Urethane Front Swaybar Bushings
Front Swaybar End-link Bushing Kit

I can't buy the PHB for the difference. Basically what I think I'm trying to ask is are the Bilstiens better than the Tokico's? H&R's better than MM's springs?

I don't wanna say money isn't an issue, but I'll drop the extra coin to get the better parts. The car is gonna be a weekend driver that I would like to use to use to get into auto-x with. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 09:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I am just starting to learn about how to make these car handle so bear that in mind. As I understand, if you are going to add a PHB you should add a torque arm at the same time and ditch the upper control arms. The upper arm and PHB will be fighting each other and cause a bind (more bind as the stock setup binds anyways). I currently have the upper/lower/PHB set up on my car, it seems to handle well, but I have not pushed the car at all yet. It was like this when I bought it, I did not mod it this way. I plan on adding the MM torque arm in the next few weeks, so we will see what it does.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 10:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What are your plans for the car? IMO the Bilsteins and Road and Track springs are a better combo than the Tokico and Sport springs. I'm sure if you call MM you wouldn't have a problem with them substituting the Bilsteins and R&T springs for the Tokicos and sport springs. Obviously it will cost a little more but worth it.

88 LX 5.0- 5spd, old school Hurst shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, Cat H-pipe, Dyno Ultra-flos, Fluidyne rad (on #2 + leaks), GT40 intake, P heads, 1.7 Crane rockers, Bilsteins, MM fr. coil overs, MM Tq arm/PH, TC rear discs, Flofits, SPEC-St. 1 + alum. flywheel, UD pullies,

[email protected]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I'm looking to make a nice week end warrior that I can go cone killing with and do the occasional track day at Road America or Blackhawk Farms. If I have to choose I'll choose performance over comfort, but I would still like to keep the car streetable. If that makes any sense.

After doing some more digging, it looks as if the Sport Box uses lower grade components to keep the cost down and get you in the door.

I think I'm gonna go with the Starter Box, maybe with upgraded shocks/struts. I'll continue to look into options I will be talking this over with the people at MM, and any further advice from the drivers here (since you aren't gonna be sellin me parts, might be a lil more honest.) Thanks again.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Tokicos are ok. Bilstiens are a sturdier construction (MM won't sell a coilover kit for Tokico due to the shock/strut construction) and the valving will last longer. My personal preferances for shocks/struts are either Koni or Bilstien. It's hard to go wrong with either. Tokicos work pretty well short term, but haven't (in the past) had the longevity of the Konis or Bilstiens.

'92 5.0LX Hatch - Bimini? Blue
'89 VW GLi 16v - Helios Blue
'73 Porsche 914 - Crazy shade of 70's green
post #6 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have the Bilstien Sports along with H&R springs, MM subframes, PHB, Torque Arm and it drives awesome.....can not go wrong with Bilstein and MM stuff.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
In a similar situation. My car is set-up to go straight only (spool,90/10's etc) getting tired of it. I actually called MM today and discussed my goals which are very similar to yours. They were very helpful and straightforward. I ended up with the bilstein struts/shocks, front coilovers and H&R rear springs. I would not hesitate to call with ?'s before ordering.
Good Luck!

'13 GT, A6, VMP Gen 2, Tuned by Ken B. of Lund Racing, 602/547.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I will surely be calling them. I don't know if I want to run coil overs. Are they that much better than regular springs? What do they do better?
post #9 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 12:07 AM

If you are looking doing open track and autox I wouldn't install the Alston control arms they look to be drag only. I would recommend coil overs. They are a little harder to install but worth it. The MM website has a lot of good tech articles such as the benefits of coil overs and rear end control arms/bushings.

Looks like we have similar goals for our cars. My set up consists of Bilstein shocks and struts, MM tubular front control arms, front coil overs w/250 lbs. springs, MM CC plates, MM rear lower control arms, stock uppers, and H&R rear race springs. I went with the relatively soft front springs since most of the time I am driving on the street and the roads are not the best here in LA. Most of the installation was R&R with the exception of the coil overs. Had to reroute the front brake lines and grind a little bit of the k-member away for clearance, may not have to grind if you get stiffer short springs. I could not be happier with the results. There is a little bit more road noise from the front but I hardly notice it and it rides and handles so much better than it did before. The coil overs made the front end feel more independent, the wheels are allowed to articulate more with out moving the body.

88 LX 5.0- 5spd, old school Hurst shifter, BBK ceramic LTs, Cat H-pipe, Dyno Ultra-flos, Fluidyne rad (on #2 + leaks), GT40 intake, P heads, 1.7 Crane rockers, Bilsteins, MM fr. coil overs, MM Tq arm/PH, TC rear discs, Flofits, SPEC-St. 1 + alum. flywheel, UD pullies,

[email protected]
[email protected]
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios16v View Post
MM won't sell a coilover kit for Tokico due to the shock/strut construction
WTF are you talking about?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement