Congrats to tigerdrvr - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Congrats to tigerdrvr

For winning F-stock at the SCCA National Tour in San Diego last weekend. Seems he made the right move going back to dries in the damp!

Props... and a few Hoosier's headed your way too!

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 01:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks, Sam.

To be honest, contrary to the SCCA web site article, there wasn't any real thought or "gamble" involved in my going to the drys. Fact is, the 245 Hoosier wets that I was able to borrow were 2004 build, hadn't been run in three years (hey, its California, we're not prepared for wet events) were worn, heat cycled etc and just flat out didn't work...which it took me two runs to fully figure out. Going into my third run, I knew I would go faster on fresh drys than on the absolutely zero grip beater wets, so I kind of had no choice but to make the swap. If I had a set of fresh 275 wets, I wouldn't have switched.

Here's from my last run, on the drys...maybe a little more than "damp" lol

http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/200...0/img4129.html

Last edited by tigerdrvr; 03-27-2009 at 01:15 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

I don't think your borrowed wets were beat.. I think they were fossils from the last Ice Age if you went that much faster on A6's in that swamp!

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
I don't think your borrowed wets were beat.. I think they were fossils from the last Ice Age if you went that much faster on A6's in that swamp!

That pic was from the bottom of the course (San Diego's site is on a hill) and is a little misleading. The top section of the course was much better, thankfully, or I might have blown a 1.7 second lead from day one

btw, the car worked great on all the on camber/off camber, uphill/downhill stuff. I didn't have to change a thing, just ran the Stranoparts.com set up
post #5 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdrvr View Post
I might have blown a 1.7 second lead from day one
Whoa, that looks a little.......damp! Was that 1.7 over a 335i BMW? Nice job, congrats.

Rob
1995 Rio Red Cobra New project in the works.
1996 Cobra(4/09)- (4/12/13) The ESP adventure ends...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Armco at NJMP's Thunderbolt turned 'er into a parts car...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 PM

That green car is probably one of the coolest things I've seen. Is it based on a miata? Or anything at all?

One of the first things I thought when I saw it was "hm, would be a hell of a lot easier to change the o2 sensor on that car than on mine"
post #7 of 15 Old 03-28-2009, 04:42 PM

First, congrats on the win tigerdrvr. I know how hard it is to run in weather like that on slicks. Those wet runs on "slicks" are probably the most tiring and most fun runs you can ever take IMO (at least when I ran FM it was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerbalKint View Post
That green car is probably one of the coolest things I've seen. Is it based on a miata? Or anything at all?

One of the first things I thought when I saw it was "hm, would be a hell of a lot easier to change the o2 sensor on that car than on mine"

That looks like an old Bugeye Sprite to me, but in EM trim. From the number of mufflers and pipe diameter, I assume its a 3 rotor Mazda powering it?
post #8 of 15 Old 03-29-2009, 11:11 PM

Yeah, running slicks in the wet is...uhhh...entertaining. Definitely have to be gentle with the inputs!

The green EM car is Jeff Kiesel's and is quite an E-ticket ride. He used to run a three rotor, but last year swapped to a turbo 2 rotor, IIRC. As was mentioned, the bodywork is based on a Bugeye Sprite. Very cool car and very fast...Jeff has won National Championships with that car.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hey Sam or Mike,

You guys heard anything about the new 255 A6 size? Is that going to be any interest on the Shelby's?

I am co-driving one this year, but only have driven it once in the wet on 295's and wonder if the gearing change would be good or bad. Plus it is always easier if you test on your dime rather than mine.

DaveW
post #10 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 PM

My plan is to stick with the 295, currently. The car is working fine and I don't have the tire budget (or enough free Hoosiers, currently) to really do the testing of the 255. I also don't like the idea of going smaller on the diameter as 2nd is already too short and the early results of the RX8 guys I know running the 255 have shown some strange wear/cupping on an 8" rim...not sure how that will relate to an 8.5" rim...

But, having said all that, they do look very interesting...lower cg, about the same section width, better sidewall profile...if I had the time/tire budget/was serious about autocross this year etc I'd give 'em a try.

post #11 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

I've been the default test rat so far.. I don't see the 255 as better. I think they are too short. Didn't know about any funny wear on the 8's that Mike has seen, but add a 3400+ car on top of then and I can't imagine that gets better.

I'm also sticking to 295's until further notice. Remember 285 and 275's are also options (and nobody can deny 285's work, that's what I ran in '07).

Sam Strano
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #12 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Just wondering what you guys thought. I suspect we will just be lemmings and continue to copy Sam's setup...

DaveW
post #13 of 15 Old 04-03-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Just wondering what you guys thought. I suspect we will just be lemmings and continue to copy Sam's setup...

DaveW
If its not broken, don't fix it

I do know of one car being developed out here in the west, by a former National Champ, that will be on some $$ dampers...we'll see how that goes.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-04-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerdrvr View Post
I do know of one car being developed out here in the west, by a former National Champ, that will be on some $$ dampers...we'll see how that goes.
who? F-Stock?
post #15 of 15 Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastle View Post
who? F-Stock?
Yep, FS. The car will be at the Wendover Pro. Unfortunately, I have too much going on with business to be able to get to that event, it would have been fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement