8.8" vs. 9" vs. 8.8 with 9" ends - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
8.8" vs. 9" vs. 8.8 with 9" ends

I've been searching everywhere for examples of road race cars with different rear setups and comparing each but I couldn't find much info. Which one of these options would be optimal for a road track/street car (no rule limitations) with around 600hp? Money aside which of these would you use? When I say 9" I mean a custom housing rear from the likes of moser, currie, CA chassisworks etc. My car is a 98.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
just what you're looking for

Works great for me, I'm now going another direction....

Team Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com
post #3 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

This rear is for a 99-04 though. Tire fitment would be an issue and I don't really feel like getting it modded or get + offset wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 12:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
This rear is for a 99-04 though. Tire fitment would be an issue and I don't really feel like getting it modded or get + offset wheels.
C'mon... A little fender rolling never hurt anybody.... Just thought I'd offer...

Team Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com
post #5 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the offer. I'm thinking of a CA Chassisworks Fab 9 housing with their coilover setup. Any comments are appreciated.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I had Griggs build me one of their hybrid rearends. It uses my stock 8.8 housing with 9" ends welded on at -7/8* camber. They welded on their control arm mounts. The axles are Moser and the diff is a DPI platinum track. This rearend absolutely kicks a**. The grip coming out of the turns is tremendous. I can trail brake much deeper into the turn and the "don't worry I've got you" feeling from the rear during mid corner and corner exit is taken to another level over a stock type rear end with T/A PHB.

Before this rearend was installed I was a back marker in TTS now I'm consistently in the mix for 2nd place. 2nd place because there is a ridiculous EVO with 400rwhp that just destroys mustangs in Norcal TTS.

It's Griggs which=$$$$$.

NASA AIX Outlaw West Coast
post #7 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Any hints on cost? The one thing I like about the 9 inch housing is that its easy to have 2 3rd members one setup for street driving and the other for the track.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 08:09 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
i would stick with the 8.8 and beef it up....with the tubes welded and diff cover support, posi, diff, axles...you'd be suprised @ how much power its capable of handling...

as far as 9inch sure its pretty much an almost indestuctible piece...but @ what price for additional rotational mass and weight...

there was an awesome article 8.8vs9" rear ends in Race Pages a few years ago...and as far as price for fixing up both to 7sec speed zones, it was a very close race as there was no winner other than the users preference...

the reason many pple were switching to 9 inch ends is because many drag racers needed to run c-clip eliminators...and these aftermarket kits would eventually leak...to solve their problem the 9 inch ends sealed much better while eliminating the c clip eliminators ...as far as axle leaks...they hardly come in the shop for leaks but they do both leak 8.8 or 9" non the less...

Let the Fox 4.6 Conversion Begin!
wifes ride

my fake snake 89 svt cobra-

Last edited by d90212; 03-27-2009 at 09:20 PM.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Who sells 8.8 housings with 9" ends already and at what cost? My car will barely be a drag car though, maybe an occasional drag on street tires with a manual transmission of course. This car is made for twisties. I plan on getting either griggs or MM packages for front and rear susp. Edit: I found currie makes one, anyone running this piece?

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-28-2009 at 08:49 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 10:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Check into any (real) race shops or places that specialize in rear end assemblies, custom hot roads, etc There might be a place near you.

It cost me about $1600 to do the hybrid axle...
DPI platinum differential $800
Moser axles $350
9" ends ~$50
Caliper mounting brackets (for 9") $50
Fluid $40
Labor to modify axle, install diff and setup $300

While you're at it, I would recommend either adding a second axle breather tap or at least enlarging the one that's there.

post #11 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

That's pretty darn reasonable. I was looking to spend about 3000 but if I can cut that into about half well thats more money for susp mods. I'll check around.. Anyone in the Northern Utah area want to chime in about a reputable speed shop that can handle this job?
post #12 of 14 Old 03-28-2009, 02:18 PM

I went with an 8.8 with 9'' ends. After additional labor here and there I could have almost bought a 9''.

T-trim and stuff
post #13 of 14 Old 03-29-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Yea the 9" housing from moser is only 555 bucks and I don't already have an 8.8 my car was originally a v6. The 3% excess drivetrain loss doesn't bother me, nothing a little nitrous can't cure =).
post #14 of 14 Old 03-30-2009, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Does anybody know the weight difference between an complete 8.8 and 9"? The 9" looks like a pig of unsprung weight.

Toys - gota have'm.....

Mike Schneider

1982 Mustang GT - 408w and other super zoomy stuff...
Tracks driven: Mid-Ohio, Grattan, Putnam Park, Gingerman, Autobahn Country Club, Waterford Hills, Ford Proving Grounds, and Bondurant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement