Weight with driver

Front 2067 58.94%
Rear 1440 41.06%

Left 1829 52.15%
Right 1678 47.85%

DRIVER PASS
FRONT 1115 952
REAR 714 726

I'm about 235 in street clothes not counting helmet. There's no real weight reduction to speak of. I've removed a few things, but nothing major. Just thought I would share.

#2 · (Edited)
I hear you, but for perspective: I drive the mythically-light foxbody coupe, yet you're only running 75 lbs heavier than my combo was last year when I weighed mine, driver included. And we're both around 235. Granted I haven't done much to reduce weight, the K-member/A-arms/coilovers helped as did removing the spare (whooptie do!). I've added weight in the form of bigger brakes, wheels, tires, a rollbar, harnesses, a torque arm and PHB, and a heavier rear swaybar.

If you want a [/i]light[/i] car you can scream around the track in, you're going to have to spend a lot more money, deal with a lot less streetability, or deal with a far smaller package.

#25 ·
I hear you, but for perspective: I drive the mythically-light foxbody coupe, yet you're only running 75 lbs heavier than my combo was last year when I weighed mine, driver included. And we're both around 235. Granted I haven't done much to reduce weight, the K-member/A-arms/coilovers helped as did removing the spare (whooptie do!). I've added weight in the form of bigger brakes, wheels, tires, a rollbar, harnesses, a torque arm and PHB, and a heavier rear swaybar.
I guess I didn't read your reply closely last time or it went right over my head. Your only 75# lighter even with the MM K-member and coilovers? It sounds like with the additions that you have put on the car vs. the amount of weight dropped from the front end and spare removal still puts you at a net gain. Any idea how much you have actually gone up? Looking at it that way makes my current weight not so bad IMO. One thing that I found interesting is that even though the Bullitt and Mach setups are very similar, the Mach 1 is around 200-250# heavier. What is strange is that the aluminum block makes then engine package lighter than the iron block SOHC 4.6. I'm not sure what changed between 2001 and 2003-4, maybe more sound deadening?

#3 ·
I'm not too stressed about it. I'm right at what the published curb weight is the for the Bullitt and I've added some hardware and removed some, so it looks fairly even right now. I actually just pulled the trigger on an Odyssey PC680 battery to take about 20# of the front end.

#4 ·
before my supercharger my car weighed 3300 (exactly) without me and 3/4 gas
so roughly 3350 with blower and 3/4 gas

3530 with me in it
94 gt coupe

havent really done any weight reduction, added more weight than stock with the blower, brakes, subframes, heavier wheels, ignition box, etc :(

Once i add the IRS i'll get it reweighed

#5 ·
Well, mine is in the 36XX range. Granted I have a roll bar and big stereo system, but yea it's a pig. To put it in perspective, the C5 Vette's are roughly 600lbs lighter. :(

The weight distro front to back is more tolerable than yours(Bullit guy), though.

I'm willing to sacrifice performance for street car convenience/enjoyment. Nobody's payin' me to do any of this so I might as well make myself happy. :)

#7 ·
I won't be giving up to much in the way of creature comforts myself. Ill be keeping the interior, sans back seat, and I will also keep my a/c. 100 degrees and 100% humidity in the summer dictates that, especially in a black car!

The weight distribution is bad with me in it. Just shy of 59/41 and about 56/44 without me I guess. I'm not sure on the second part because I don't know how the driver weight is distributed.

I don't know what other weight reduction I will do. At this point I am trying to keep in street prepared legal to keep expense down. The battery lightweight battery and possible relocation later will help take almost 40 (I think stock battery = 37ish) # off the front end. I'm also trying to verify the legality of the 2000 cobra R hood, since that could be an update/backdate. It may lose around 10 pounds or more. Not really sure. I'd like to do it for looks anyway. When I start and finish the Mach 1 swap, the result will be a net weight loss on the front end but that more carries more weight higher (4v heads and covers) than the 2v.

#8 ·
If you plan on putting a DOHC motor in the car in the future, I sure wouldn't limit myself present time to just conform to some strict rules. Put the stuff on the car that will make you enjoy it more.

Hopefully somebody smarter or more tech. savy can chime in on this next subject.

I've "heard" that taking 40lbs(say from a battery)in the front, and adding it to the back equates to moving 80lbs or twice as much to the new location.

I'm not sure how to word it, but this was something I heard long ago maybe at an autocross or dragstrip or somewhere. Maybe I heard it from a bum under the bridge, I dunno.

#9 ·
I think I am going to keep the 4v stock internally to keep my cost down. The mach motor has nice midrange which should be handy. Boltons, and ported intake should make some nice rwhp. I'm thinking a small shot of spray could make things more fun if I go to the drags.

At 1000+ for a cam change, I'll pass.

#12 ·
If the line was never available with that motor, yep, straight to mod or SM...update/backdate won't apply.

btw, my Mustang Shelby GT, with 18# wheels and 295 Hoosiers, 1/4 tank gas and all stuff (floor mats etc) out of it was a shade over 3400lbs on SCCA's Longacre scales, fwiw. There can be a fair amount of variance in different scales, so it is hard to pinpoint "exactly" what our cars weigh...

#13 ·
Its a legal update/backdate. 94-04 Cobras, Mach 1, GT are on the same line. That includes 95 and 00 Cobra R's too. That's how some have rolled their own R's so to speak. You could also swap in a 03/04 cobra motor although that would add more weight.

That Shelby weighed 3400ish w/o driver. That's not too bad. I can't wait to see what the 2011 GT weighs in at. 400hp 5.0 with 3500ish curb weight?

#14 ·
To my understand, and trust me, my understanding of the SCCA and it's weird ass rules are cloudy at best....

If you do the update/backdate thing, don't you hafta change over EVERYTHING from the model/line? That'd mean an IRS....plus other non relevant interior items?

#15 · (Edited)
Many of us understand the rules just fine... Not trying to be a complete ass, but maybe it's you? Seriously, the rules are pretty straightforward if you just read them and understand that they allow you to do what's written.

UD/BD only requires whole components to be swapped, not the entire car under Street Prepared rules.

#16 ·
The requirements around engines is that they be replaced as a complete unit. Therefore the complete long block not a mix and match of this short block with those heads.

I guess the Mach 1 is one of the bestter choices due to its low and midrange grunt and combo of weight. There are a lot of cool options though if you want to spend. Roll your own 5.4 DOHC cobra r replica motor or a 95 Cobra R style 351 but with aluminum heads.

#18 ·
I wonder what that said :rofl:

I think the rules suck, but I hang around Tony a little bit so I guess he's just a bad influence on me.

To the OP, I didn't see it mentoined, move the battery from the FRONT LEFT to the REAR RIGHT, it will help you with both numbers. But it will add some wieght OVERALL from the extra battery wire.

Unless this puts in AM class, or XP, or CP or SM or WTF or ABCXYZ :rolleyes:

#19 · (Edited)
I'm going to keep it in the stock location for now. I will relocate the battery at some point, but not in the next few weeks. I'd prefer to locate the battery to the back seat well but since the back seat is still in, that could present a problem. Plus relocating the battery can be a little involved to do it right so I'm going to hold off for a little while on actually moving it. FWIW, battery relocation is legal in SP

Sam, what are your thoughts on the Cobra R hood? HO Fibertrends makes the hood for Ford as a replacement hood for the 2000 Cobra R and as an option though FRPP. If you owned a Cobra R and needed a replacement the Ford Part Number goes back to the HO Fibertrend hood. The original hood that actually was on the production car is no longer made and Ford cut ties with that company (I think). Would this be legal. It is possible that it is lighter than the original but it is a legitimate OEM replacement according to Ford.

#20 · (Edited)
Weight with driver
Was that with a full gas tank and spare? Does your Bullitt have the heavier Mach stereo? For comparison sake, my '01 Bullitt weighs 3383 lbs true curb weight on my Longacre corner scales, full load of fluids, spare, no driver. Completely stock except for an Eibach front bar and Konis.

At autocross weight (1/2 tank of gas, no spare or floor mats), it comes in at 3236 lbs without driver, 3468 lbs with driver. With me in the car, my corner weights are nearly identical to yours, within 1% all the way around.

#21 ·
No spare. About 1/2 tank. Yes it came with the Mach but I have removed the rear deck. I plan on removing the whole system but not for weight. I'll be redoing the front with new speakers and going without any rear speakers. The Eibach Sways are MUCH heavier than stock, but they are low and are a critical piece of the suspension. I also have the Steeda 5-Link 2. While it isn't suepr heavy, I still think it is a net weight gain over just the stock upper control arms and the quad shocks both of which come off during the install. Not sure what the extra weight gain is with the setup. Steeda claims none but I'd probably bet a few bucks that there is some increase. Other than that I don't know what it could be. Variance in scales, different fluid levels vs. yours, etc. If both of those scales were close to one another there is only a 36# difference. Maybe I need to wash the car.

#23 ·
99 Cobra- no weight reduction, spare tire removed (whooptie do!) Wife wont let me remove the rear seat!!!! She said thats why I bought a race car. >:p

3420 1/4 tank of fuel/ no driver.

00 GT- interior consists of a seat and a steering wheel. Cage included too. No weights on the car until the DOHC goes in and a bunch more sht comes off the car. Last weigh in was 3100 1/4 tank of fuel/ no driver.

The best thing you can do for weight distribution is the MM K-member, fwd offset A-arms and coilovers. They reduce weight and move the wheels forward, putting more weight towards the rear wheels. With the DOHC youre talking about installing you'll be very close to a 50/50 weight distribution. Add the unsprung weight of an IRS on the light end of the car and there you go.

This advice was given from someone who auto-xs for the car control and seat time. I could go to the Nats at HPT but thats a long drive all 150 miles and all to Topeka. :rofl:

#26 ·
The car's curb weight (full of fuel) from the factory should be around 3075. Subtract the fuel and it's about 2985. Add back in 235 for me plus 35 lbs of fuel to get an apples-to-apples with the current track-ready weight, and it's 3255. I'm at 3427 so I've added a net 172 lbs.

Damn...where'd it all come from?

Wheels and tires easily 40 lbs
Brakes easily 20 lbs
Rollbar and harnesses are about 75 IIRC
Subframe connectors what, 10?
Oil pan and cooler 10
TA and PHB I'm guessing 40, I don't have the figures handy

That's 185 not counting extraneous bull#### like gauges, lines, the STB, the sunroof, the shifter, whatever else I might be forgetting.

The only weight reductions are an aluminum radiator, an aluminum DS, no spare, and the MM front suspension. Oh...and the quad shocks ;)

#27 ·
Interesting. I may be adding a cage down the road so I could easily creep up to the 3600# range w/ driver.

BTW, how much weight did you save from the aluminum radiator? I looked into the Cobra radiator as an option but it was only a pound difference, so I passed. The other radiators are too rich for my blood right now. I'll revisit the pricier options a little further down the road.

#32 ·
The Cervinis 00 Cobra R hood I took off my race car weighed in it around 40-42 lbs. Ditched it in favor of a Cervinis 03/04 lift off hood. It weighs 20lbs. Easiest 20lbs Ive taken off the front so far!

#37 ·
I remember when my car was stock it was 3200 and change... after several years, I took it to corner weight and it was 3428.... probably now is just tick under 3400.... hopefully :)

It's tough when you open track and keep the car streetable... almost everything adds weight... more oil, more water, more brakes, more tire, roll bar... oh... and a pair of turbos and IRS don't help either :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.