How close is too close? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (15)
How close is too close?

I finally got my new 3 link 9" rear together. With the combination of north racecars brackets and my cobra rear brakes and custom length axles i managed to fit 305/35-17 inch tires on 17X10.5 wheels mostly under the rear quarter.

I do not like how close the MM coilovers come to the tire. What do you guys think?

1988 ASC McLaren #1238 Gunmetal Metallic, 1 of 12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 05:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I've never really looked at how close my 315's are to the coilovers in the rear on my car but I've seen no signs of rubbing on any of my tires. I'm a newer body style too though.

Your rear is going to move left/right some as you turn hard. It will move IN on the side that compresses so it may clear your fender, "tuck in", when you turn hard. So you may not have an issue with that.

But in that second picture, that tire looks REALLY close to the the coilover. May just be the picture making it look that way. Can you give an estimate on how much distance there is between the coilovoer and tire?

The side that may clear the fender may also hit that coilover?

GriggsRacing-KenneBell-ModularPowerHouse
post #3 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
i would (and have) roll the quarter lips up and out giving you another 1/2" of tire coverage. then put some 1/2" mm spacers on. see mine

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 05:26 PM

you can also eliminate that crusty old stock bumpstop as its in with the new coilovers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsideways View Post
i would (and have) roll the quarter lips up and out giving you another 1/2" of tire coverage. then put some 1/2" mm spacers on.
Thanks, Pls send me more pics or a link to your build... the lips are rolled and I could try to flatten some more. What size tire is that on your car?

Thanks

post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken03KBGTvert View Post
I've never really looked at how close my 315's are to the coilovers in the rear on my car but I've seen no signs of rubbing on any of my tires. I'm a newer body style too though.

Your rear is going to move left/right some as you turn hard. It will move IN on the side that compresses so it may clear your fender, "tuck in", when you turn hard. So you may not have an issue with that.

But in that second picture, that tire looks REALLY close to the the coilover. May just be the picture making it look that way. Can you give an estimate on how much distance there is between the coilovoer and tire?

The side that may clear the fender may also hit that coilover?
Yes, the newer car handle the 305, 315s really well, the wheel and tire came off a 96 cobra. There is less than 1/2" between the tire and coilover

post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
As it is okay. But a panhard will move the rearend side to side a bit.

post #8 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foraye View Post
Thanks, Pls send me more pics or a link to your build... the lips are rolled and I could try to flatten some more. What size tire is that on your car?

Thanks
nolimitnotch.com but i desperately need to update it as i have much more work done to it. theres not many more pics of the quarters up close there, shoot me your e-mail address and i will take some up close pictures for ya. the easiest way to explain how i did this would be to call me or i call you.
i also just posted how i did this in a fender rolling/ flaring thread not long ago if ya want to search. my set up is fox rear, sn95 axles, konig villian 17x9 wheels with 6" backspacing which are FOR SALE. 275/40 nitto 555r2's. i got like 2"+ clearance on the inner fender well side which had me thinkin of 315s, but decided against it as i would rather be able to rotate and have even balance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement