Front Swaybar Bushing Question - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
Front Swaybar Bushing Question

This weekend I was going to change my endlinks. When I got the stock endlinks disconnected on both sides, I could not get the bar to rotate up by hand. I'm not sure how much force I would have needed to get the bar to move because I buttoned everything up and went on about my business. I've got poly sway bar bushings, I guess these things are really binding on the sway bar. I need to get those down and lubricate them to keep them. Does this seem normal? I know that poly can bind up, but I didn't think it would/could be this bad.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The sway bar should be easy to rotate. Sounds like the bushings are in need of some grease. If the bushings are not greased then the sway bar is going to be binding and not working properly. I would loosen the clamps on the bushings and try to work some grease in around the bar into the bushing. Also note that if you continue with the bushing binding, eventually you will either wear the holes in the bushings oversize, or if they are really binding badly, you may break the sway bar. I have actually seen this happen, although usually on rear sway bars since they tend to be thinner.

post #3 of 8 Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (12)
I guess I didn't realize that the bushings could bind that badly.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Bullitt,
In the past I have used silicone lube (from tube), like what is used for brake parts. Or, I have also used a wrapping of tephlon tape. They both worked, no squeaks and would rotate freely. The tape did start to work it's way out over extended time, so I now only use the silicone paste.
Another food for thought, I recently read a tech article about drilling and installing zerk fittings in the metal collar and drilling a hole in the poly so the grease could get to the bar. Kinduv a cool idea.

Rob

Rob
Venom Technologies LLC
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageVenom View Post
Bullitt,

Another food for thought, I recently read a tech article about drilling and installing zerk fittings in the metal collar and drilling a hole in the poly so the grease could get to the bar. Kinduv a cool idea.

Rob
I'm not sure how well that would work, as the grease would find the path of least resistance and hydraulic out, not getting the whole bushed surface covered. I guess, if you had a bushing that was grooved internally or some way to o-ring the ends of the bushing to keep the grease "captive" it would work?
post #6 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
And they tend to crack.... There are production bushings with zerks, I've tried them and never had them hold up.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #7 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 08:14 PM

energy suspension sells greaseable sway bar bushing w/ zerk fittings
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2009, 08:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Anyone have recommendations for replacement bushings? My stock ones disintegrated and its time for replacements. Grease fittings I can do without. I'm okay replacing them as a wear and tear items on a more regular scheduled than I've done.

John
Ex-Novi'd 99 Cobra
E36 LS2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement