suspension packages? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-22-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
suspension packages?

Gonna rebuild my 98 Cobra over the summer, already pretty much know all the engine stuff, so its time to ask questions about the suspension. I was looking at piecing together a package, but after looking around, there seems to be a couple of options that come pre-packaged, and I assume that the components are designed to work in harmony with each other. The 2 that caught my eye, for price and completeness, are the Griggs basic street setup and the MM Road and Track package. To me, the MM setup seems to be a little more complete, and it has the steering shaft I was looking at picking up. However, I've heard great things about Griggs, but I just don't know if I will get all out of the Griggs that I will the MM. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
They're both great companies that can offer a lot of bang for the buck. Whichever you choose make sure you stick with that company; don't mix and match parts.

Find someone local to you that can offer you a ride and decide from that.

96 GT / 4R70W to 3650 swap, some metal tubing, Recaro'd, and slightly Griggs'd.
Thanks to my sponsor Performance Autosport!
post #3 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96sohc View Post
They're both great companies that can offer a lot of bang for the buck. Whichever you choose make sure you stick with that company; don't mix and match parts.
There's nothing wrong with mixing and matching parts if you know what you're doing. My AI car hs a hodge-podge of parts from different manufacturers, and some custom made stuff I got cheap:

K-member: Griggs (Lighter weight & more anti-dive compared to MM.)
A-Arms: Maixmum motorsports (stronger than Grigg's tubular A arms.)
Bumpsteer: Off-the-shelf rod ends, MM tie rod sleeves, MM tapered steering arm adaptors.
Torque Arm: Custom
Panhard Bar: Custom
LCAs: Griggs (Lighter weight, and adjustable spring perch.)

The combo works very well, but I know the repercusstions of each part and what it needed to do and not do.

Quote:
Find someone local to you that can offer you a ride and decide from that.
Unless the cars are setup similarly and are running the same tires on the same track, you're not going to get a very useful comparison.

In general, Grigg's suspension parts are more race-oriented and that means lighter (meaning, unfortunately, that they will be more likely to break, over time.) Griggs stresses that its parts are race parts and need periodic inspection and maintenance.

Maximum Motorsports parts are MUCH stronger, and unfortunately, heavier.

I built my AI car for racing, thus it has Griggs lightweight parts on it, particularly the K-member. If I were building a street car or a weekend track toy, it'd have Maximum Motorsports parts on it.

Both companies make excellent parts and support them very well. The improvements you'll see with either system are HUGE. You can't go wrong picking either company, IMHO.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 12:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I agree, you can't go wrong with either company....

But I am partial to MM due to my past experiences with them. Excellent customer service, I've had them on the phone for countless times with dumb questions and never had even a hint of "holy ####, not this guy again" from anyone that helped me.

Both companies have awesome reputations,

MM seems to me to be more "street car" parts, proven on a race track.

Where Griggs is race car parts, with some "street car" buyers.

If I were you, I'd go with the MM packages... ArtsPerformanceParts.com can get you excellent deals on them!

PHA #281 ESP
March '09 MM&FF Feature car
Check out my Youtube vids, /NJ03Mach1
Become a Hillclimber! Pahillclimb.org
post #5 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
If I were building a street car or a weekend track toy, it'd have Maximum Motorsports parts on it.
Exactly the info I wanted to hear. The car will be driven semi-daily, with occasional track use. I want durable, and am willing to pack on some weight to achieve that. Looks like MM will be the way to go. Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 03-23-2009, 01:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I went with MM for a few reasons, the main is I have not heard anything bad about MM...well except prices compared to others (besides griggs). Another is there tech and parts support.

I did not buy a package per say, but over the last year have found used or never installed items. You can save alot of money this way if you can locate these items used.

So far I am basicly between the Road & Track and the Maximum Grip setup. Can't wait to get the car on the street since its been about a year now. Going from basicly stock to new rear end, cobra brakes, wheels/tires and tons of suspension mods. Heck thinking of it the only stock item suspension/steering item left are going to be the PS pump and k-member.

Last edited by Icey101; 03-23-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement