Gas tank sump advice. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Gas tank sump advice.

I did a search but didn't turn up anything. I'm gonig to be sumping the gas tank in my 2000 GT. I plan to make my own and make it more of a square/rectangle shape, but is the drag race style cheese wedge shap just as good? Any advice on how to position the holes in the bottom of the tank to retain fuel flow in turns and hard breaking as well as hard excelleration? I was thinking of keeping the holes centrallized and to the back and position the dual cobra pumps as far to the back of the sump as I could situate them with a bracket.

Thanks guys!

-Jonny

2012 Silver Mustang 5.0 Auto bone stock.
2000 Performance Red 4v turbo 545rwhp/570rwtq tuned by Andy "The Car Tuning Genius" (Prime-Tuning.com) - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I'd worry less about a sump, and worry more about getting a quality K-member. I wouldn't try and take any turns with that under there....

Just my opinion..

PHA #281 ESP
March '09 MM&FF Feature car
Check out my Youtube vids, /NJ03Mach1
Become a Hillclimber! Pahillclimb.org
post #3 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

What's wrong with the QA1?

2000 Performance Red 4v turbo 545rwhp/570rwtq tuned by Andy "The Car Tuning Genius" (Prime-Tuning.com) - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Isn't the QA1 a drag oriented piece?

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #5 of 19 Old 03-16-2009, 07:36 PM

Yes, I agree on the k-member thing. I wouldn't trust it on a road course. I am curious about this subject as well, this is one of the options I have on my carbed setup in progress. We sumped a mustang tank at the shop I used to work for, but it was a land speed car, not much in the way of turning...

Trafford, Pa
post #6 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 05:30 PM

Qa1's are typically drag racing K members. From what I understand, not exactly designed to handle the lateral forces you experience in Open Tracking.

Maximum Motorsports on the other hand, IMO one of if not the best K Members on the market. Built to handle everything you throw at it. I just wish I could use one Damned SCCA and their rules!!!

PHA #281 ESP
post #7 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

LOL...ya'll have derailed. Anyone have anything on the gas tank question? I haven't noticed any issues with the K.

-Jonny

post #8 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny00GT View Post
LOL...ya'll have derailed. Anyone have anything on the gas tank question? I haven't noticed any issues with the K.

-Jonny
I've never seen a sumped factory tank on a road racer. They all seem to either run the factory setup, or a fuel cell (which has no sump, but it does have duckbill pickups in the rear dorners.)

So who do you race with?

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
Instructor, NASA Texas Region
Instructor, TWS Perf. Driving School
post #9 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

I don't right now, but I have been a passenger with some friends that run in the BMW Auto-X locally and loved it! I use to road race sport bikes, but with little kids, throwing a bike on it's side at tripple didget speeds is just not worth it anymore.
I'm going to be dropping a Cobra motor in my car, rout up a turbo, throw some skins on and go play...hopefully the end of the year or next year at the latest.

-Jonny

post #10 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Is there any reason not to sump the tank? I think it would still get fuel in turns and under braking. Not really trying to spend the money on a cell at this moment.

Trafford, Pa
post #11 of 19 Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 PM

Mark, I would stay away from it honestly. I would think elevation changes like we have would reek havoc on that kinda setup.

Imagine going over The Jump and getting a pocket of air in that section. Results wouldn't be good.

And Johnny, it's not that we've derailed. We see a flaw in your setup and were pointing it out. Those K members are not designed for the abuse of Open Track/Auto X. It's that simple.

Hell, just look at the A Arm mounting points!

PHA #281 ESP
post #12 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 12:47 AM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Let the Fox 4.6 Conversion Begin!
wifes ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my fake snake 89 svt cobra-
post #13 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
Is there any reason not to sump the tank?
Mainly the fact that every time you change the car, you can intrtoduce problems. And fuel supply problems can be particularly difficult to figure out. (A fellow AI racer has been kept out of competition because of fuel supply problems that tpook her two years to figure out.)

The factory tank and pickup does VERY well in a road racing enviornment -- othing wrong with it at all. The only reason I'd even think of touching it is to remove it and install a fuel cell for increased safety.

Quote:
I think it would still get fuel in turns and under braking. Not really trying to spend the money on a cell at this moment.
Then why spend money on a sumped tank that may or may not work better?

Are you having fuel starvation problems in the corner? Do you have a real need to get every last drop of fuel out of the tank while on the track?

My AI car lets me know I'm running low on fuel by losing power in prolonged right-handers. (I have no fuel gauge.) At that point I have less than half a gallon of fuel in the tank. Once I get out of the corner, I get power again and can bring the car in for more fuel. My point is that 1/2 gallon of fuel remaining is pretty darned good. I'd be surprised if you can better that in a sumped tank without spending a ton of money for a very, very small advantage.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #14 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Perhaps a full view of the plan for this car would help. I am about to drop a 99 cobra motor in the car with a teskid block. I plan to forge the rotating assembly and build my own turbo kit with a 76mm Turbo .81A/R. I have dual cobra pumps that I'm going to build a bracket for in the sump. The GT bucket will not be enough fuel for my future plans as I'm looking to put down in the 550-600rwhp range. Auto-X will be a once in a while thing, but as my daily driver, I don't want to worry about fuel running away from the pumps on the brakes or in a corner with say 1/4-1/8 tank. I pretty much fill up when it gets close to or around 1/8 of a tank anyway.

Could I just buy a terminator tank and fuel hat...sure...but I have a welder and I like to do things a little different and put my creative side to use from time to time.

I know I've seen road racing style square sumps before and there is, no doubt, a way to baffle it so it works well. I don't have any plans for road course duty, so high G prolonged cornering is not likely. I just figured if anyone had experience in this area it would be ya'll.

Really I'm just wondering if anyone who has sumped thier tank or has experience sumping tanks has any input on hole placement, or maybe cutting and bending up or down flaps. Trying to complile a few different ways to get it done and see what works best...

If opening up the tank and putting internal baffleing in is the best way to go, I'm open to that too. I'll have a spare tank to play with as well...

Thanks, ya'll!

I'll also look into bracing up the K member, but I'm not throwing slicks on and getting super serious...maybe a weekend part time warrior.

-Jonny

post #15 of 19 Old 03-19-2009, 06:36 PM

I apologize for not being more clear in my question. I'm going with a carbed setup and wanted a simple way to change over from efi. Cannot use the factory style pickup. I do know they sell one to use with an external pump, but I wasn't sure how happy the pump would be pulling fuel uphill.

Trafford, Pa

Last edited by Mark Aubele; 03-19-2009 at 06:39 PM.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-20-2009, 02:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
The stock fuel tank already has an antisloshing baffle built into it. As long as that baffle is still in your tank, I've never seen any reason to mess with it.

Jack Hidley
Maximum Motorsports Tech Support
post #17 of 19 Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM

Like Jack said, the factory baffle in the tank is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Aubele View Post
I apologize for not being more clear in my question. I'm going with a carbed setup and wanted a simple way to change over from efi. Cannot use the factory style pickup. I do know they sell one to use with an external pump, but I wasn't sure how happy the pump would be pulling fuel uphill.
If it were me, I'd either put in a fuel cell with THEIR baffling and pickups, or I'd stick with the factory tank with an aftermarketpickup designed for the tank and and Aeromotive external pump and filter. This is a proven, reliable solution.

The ONLY reason I'd mess with the factory tank is to replace it with a fuel cell for SAFETY reasons. Performance-wise there's nothing wrong with the factory tank. If you want to waste your time and money sumping it, that's your business.

-- Robert King
NASA AI #42, Texas
post #18 of 19 Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt40mkII View Post
Like Jack said, the factory baffle in the tank is quite good.

If it were me, I'd either put in a fuel cell with THEIR baffling and pickups, or I'd stick with the factory tank with an aftermarketpickup designed for the tank and and Aeromotive external pump and filter. This is a proven, reliable solution.

The ONLY reason I'd mess with the factory tank is to replace it with a fuel cell for SAFETY reasons. Performance-wise there's nothing wrong with the factory tank. If you want to waste your time and money sumping it, that's your business.

Thank you for the input. I am definitely not trying to waste time or money, the weld-in sump just seemed like the most cost-effective method to convert the car to carb at the time. I will look into the aeromotive pick-up and pump combo. I have never had any problems with the factory setup, I just wasn't aware of a cost effective way to keep it with a carb.

Trafford, Pa
post #19 of 19 Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
If you want some more info read this.

http://corner-carvers.com/forums/sho...ght=aeromotive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement