wheels and tires for s197 fstock? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
wheels and tires for s197 fstock?

hey guys... well i finally pulled the trigger and bought an 05 gt.

I'm looking to keep this one in f-stock...
now it's got the 17"s and im looking to get race wheels/tires, I'm really trying to stay on a low budget so even stock bullitt 18"s would be fine (if i can find them cheap enough)... otherwise, does anyone have suggestions for wheels? the $400 a piece lightweights are out of my budget currently.

also, what size tires will fit the best on them?

thanks for any input!
'jim

2005 Mustang GT Loose ESP Prep
Check out my Automotive Artwork Website.
infamousjim.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Nice car. There are a few guys in here with nice FS setups, I'm sure they will chime in.

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #3 of 11 Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Congrats on the new car. I'm really liking the S197, hope you like yours too.

As far as FS legal wheels, I think the '05s only came with the 17X8 rims on the GT, so you can't legally go to the 18X8.5 rims. The good news is that there are tons of 18-22lbs wheels out there in legal size in the $125-225/ea range, so about the same as Bullitts...look at TireRack, there's a whole bunch of Enkei, Kazera, TR Motorsport, OZ options...not sure which ones are the correct 17X8 and +/- .25 offset, needed to be FS legal. You could also find some 17X8 oem take offs pretty cheap, if you look around, but they are heavy.

For autocross, a 275/40-17 will work. The Hoosier A6 is considered the quickest stock class legal DOT R out there, currently, but they are pretty pricey ($280/ea). The Kumho V710 is also a great tire, also pricey ($256/ea), but they wear a bit better. If you aren't worried about being super competitive, but still want to run a DOT R, the Kumho Victoracer is less money and wears very well...and works in the rain. You could also run a 255/40, which would give a little better turn in (it actually fits the rim better) in any of the above tires.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

Last edited by tigerdrvr; 03-16-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM

I can help... Know of a set of OZ Ultraleggera's (5 in fact) that the owner wants to move (car for sale).

I think he'll take something like $600 for all 5. If you are interested, let me know and I'll get you his number. These are 17x8" for an FS 2005 car. Legal and might even have some 2mm spacers to make up the rest of the legal offset allowance.

Sam Strano
7x SCCA National Champion + 7x SCCA ProSolo Class Champion, 2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
I drive them, I compete in them, I sell more variety of brands than any other company.
STRANOPARTS.COM
post #5 of 11 Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM

^We used the Ultraleggeras on the RX8 and were happy with them. They're light (should be under 18# for a 17X8, as the 18X8 we used was 18.4#) and strong.
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2009, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

sweet... is the same year rule new or did i just miss that when i have looked in the past???
is this the same guy with the gt for sale? i liked that car but it was a bit out of my price range... i may be interested in those wheels though...

from a non sales point of view... do you really see a large difference in lightweight wheels for autox? after i realized i need to stay the 17s ive been considering just racing on the stock wheels

post #7 of 11 Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 AM

There is an ad in the Mustang magazines regarding factory take off wheel sets. I don't remeber the company but a set of bullit 17x8s was in the $500 range.

John Flesher
post #8 of 11 Old 03-22-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollCamberCoef View Post
There is an ad in the Mustang magazines regarding factory take off wheel sets. I don't remeber the company but a set of bullit 17x8s was in the $500 range.
Newtakeoff has stock 2005+ 17x8 wheels for $330 a set plus shipping. Best deal going I've found for new (takeoff) stock wheels.

2001 Bullitt
2008 Mustang GT
post #9 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

yeah, well i still have my factory wheels before i go buying any takeoffs... i might pick up that set of ultraleggeras

post #10 of 11 Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfamousjim View Post
yeah, well i still have my factory wheels before i go buying any takeoffs... i might pick up that set of ultraleggeras
If the OZ's are in good shape, I'd take them over takeoffs in a heartbeat. They will give a slight advantage in performance, all around. The resale value will be better, if you ever decide to sell them. They are just easier to lug around, when changing at the track/autocross or moving 'em around in the garage (yeah, I can be lazy...). And, they look cool...

post #11 of 11 Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Alright, well i'm a monster with picking a class..... I don't have my factory air intake, and getting one just to put on for events would be a pain... I think i'll try out STU for now.. plus with my daily driver 20's.... being able to lower the car would be real nice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement