Issues with the 5 link... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 03-15-2009, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (4)
Issues with the 5 link...

Guys, I just got it installed earlier today, and have a couple problems. I posted this in here, to see if anyone else had had anything similar.

Well, did a bolt in installation, and after getting it all in, went for a test drive. It seemed to ride better, and felt more solid. over large expansion joints, I could hear a squeak. I figured it was a bushing that didnt get enough grease. I made a hard left turn, and had terrible rub on the inside wheel well on the right side.

got back to the shop, and you could definately tell that it wasnt centered at the measurements I took earlier. I readjusted it, and it appeared to be centered, at least by my measurements. Went out again, and i still have an inner fender rub on the right side.

I stopped by my storage unit on the way back to the shop to drop off the parts I had left over, and couldnt drive out of the place - every time I started up this steep drive turned any bit sideways, one tire or the other would bottom out, and force the other tire outside of the wheel well, or so it appeared.

Guys, I'm beyond confused. The ONLY thing I didn't do per the directions was setting up the PHB. I purchased this setup used, and it was sent with the drivers side end of the bar left in the bracket. I left it in, and adjusted the other end so that it would fit into its slide. Would that have caused my issues?

How much deflection should I see of the rear axle? What would be the best way to go from here?

Thanks!

Down to one '86 GT riding some jackstands, but there's somethin in the works!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-15-2009, 08:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Is there anyway that you can get some pics?

I've also installed the 5 link and there are somethings that you have to pay attention to. I've been back under the car twice since the install. I've never done an installation like this before and there are no shops around here that have installed a 5 link before either. It sounds like the rear axle not being centered could be a possibility.

I don't know what the actual amount of side to side deflection is with the 5 link PHB. Are you running V1 or V2?

2001 Mustang Bullitt #01992
post #3 of 13 Old 03-15-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

lol, i just replied to your PM on C-C. What do you mean, V1, or V2?

yeah, ive got a couple pics from earlier today, but if you'll tell me what you're looking for, I'll pull the car back in and take a few pics.

The only other thing I had any concerns with on the PHB was that the only way I can simulate the car at ride height is with a trans jack picking up the rear of the car, while its on the lift. In order to get it level, the driver's side of the PHB is all the way down, while the other side is a little over halfway up.

EDIT: PICS

Last edited by 4eyedconekiller; 03-15-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 AM

i used to have the 5-link and judging from your pics and what u said it sounds like your not at actual ride height when adjusting the p h bar. jack it up high on level ground and put 4 jackstands under front cntrl arms and rear end axle tubes. find centerline of rear and match it with centerline between shocks. with heim joints fully threaded in ph bar install driver side in frame brace. at this time u will be a little short to attach the passenger side heim joint to brace thats on the rear, turn the ph bar while holding the heim to wind out evenly, once its long enough slide the bolt through. one side of the ph bar is left hand thread.

ph bar has to be level to ground at ride height.

Must keep making progress
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 07:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
When I installed my PHB, with the change of RCH it caused fender rubbing for me. In my case it was exacerbated by the 10.5" wheels and 315 tires I had. I had to use spacers and longer wheel studs to compensate. What wheels and tires are you running?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Downturns

For God's sake put some downturns on your mufflers. You are frying everything aft of them. Including your five link,axle and gas tank. Tom D Y
post #7 of 13 Old 03-16-2009, 09:24 PM

I'm guessing it is just like that from the install but I could be wrong.

post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I took the car to the alignment shop today, and I had it close, but not quite close enough. They got it all straight, and I'm looking forward to getting it out and really working it over to see the change in the car.

huesman, whats RCH? Roll Center Height? How did you fix it? I'm running 17x9 10th annys with 275/40's out back.

Tom, dont have a hissy - I havent found any that I like around here... gonna go by and see about picking some up tomorrow or fri. Trust me, I know it isnt good for it to exit that way, but there was no sense in messing with it until I got everything lined up and ready. I wanted to do some side-exit stuff to just be different, but as you can see, my mufflers exit too late to make anything like that possible.

Did anyone notice an increase in NVH after the install?

post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 07:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Yes, roll center height. Changed the "pivot point" of the body so that the wheels rubbed. As I mentioned, I fixed it by running wheel spacers.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

I'm looking at a few options for exhaust at the moment. I still feel that mufflers into dumps are the most simple and less power robbing option but there are some other options that I have been looking at on c-c.com. As a temporary fix, I am running flexible exhaust tubing clamped onto the mufflers to divert the hot exhaust to the ground instead or rearward. You should really look into a temporary fix. I'm not sure that letting the exhaust run straight out is 100% safe due to possibly heating up the gas tank, etc. I'm still contemplating as I would imagine that those extra bends rob some HP at the end. One guy locally said that he cut his tailpipe off and saw the difference on the dyno. IDK.

post #11 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Guys, Im going to get some wheel spacers today to end this rubbing on the inner fenderwell. I'm either going with a 1/4 or 5/16 spacer - those should work with my stock length studs, correct?

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 10:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...ath=48_134_231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM Tech Blurb
These wheel spacers are CNC machined from lightweight aluminum-alloy and slip over the car's wheel studs. The factory wheel studs are usually long enough to allow the use of 1/8" or 1/4" thick wheel spacers, with most wheels. You must check the amount of thread engagement on your car to ensure that at least 6 threads are fully engaged after installing the wheel spacer. Maximum Motorsports 1/2" spacers require the use of longer wheel studs for adequate thread engagement.
This thread has got me thinking about wheel spacers for the back of my car now. My car has some rubbing in the back and I've been ignoring it since I did the 5 lug swap and 275/40/17s. It might not be a bad idea for me to address it finally.

Last edited by Moving Target; 03-26-2009 at 10:58 AM.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2009, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks MT, i dunno why i didnt look there! Hopefully 1/4" will be enough, and not hit my quarters, in case I dont get a chance to roll the lips. Guess we'll see!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement