need brand and part #s for quad shocks for 03 mach1 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
need brand and part #s for quad shocks for 03 mach1

See my other post where I can't spell.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)
Gabriel #14039 "steering damper"

post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2009, 10:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
IMHO, you should save your money and not use them at all. I removed mine (way back when) at the same time as I upgraded my control arms and had zero adverse effect....

To upgrade your arms:
if you're on a budget just "plate" them in on the back sides
OR
If you can afford to, replace the POS stock arms with "rod or beam" style aftermarket arms. You'll be much happier than wasting money on "quads"...

Good luck

Team Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

The problem with that approach is the countless people who've heard they can ditch their quads if they just improve their control arms, and then find out otherwise. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and short of a torque arm, if you have wheelhop on a coil-sprung mustang, quad shocks will help.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've got the complete MM Road and Track Box and I still occasionally have some wheel hop so that's why I'm putting them back on.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2009, 03:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
The problem with that approach is the countless people who've heard they can ditch their quads if they just improve their control arms, and then find out otherwise. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, and short of a torque arm, if you have wheelhop on a coil-sprung mustang, quad shocks will help.
WOW! Finally I get lucky... Usually I don't! I can tell you though I do not get any wheelhop of any kind. Of coarse my tires rarely get a chance to hook-up either..

Seriously though, if wheel hop is a condition in which the arms are flexing while at the same times the tires are trying to "bite", getting rid of the flex in the arms will eliminate the hop, no? It has on every car that I've ever had and I've had a bunch. Now if you install good solid arms but still retain the crappy-soft bushings, you'll have a nice smooth ride but you'll still have movement/hop possibilities in there.

Sorry to move off topic of the original post but I'm just saying...

Team Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Video's: http://dvanz.com/doug-vandenbrink-video-gallery/
Instagram & Twitter @DougVanDenBrink
Team Store: http://dvanzstore.bigcartel.com

Last edited by DV19; 03-16-2009 at 04:07 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-16-2009, 04:27 PM
MFE
Super Moderator

It's not so much the arms flexing as it is the bushings deflecting, allowing torque application to wind the axle up against its bushings, which unloads the tires suddenly, which unloads the axle suddenly, which reloads the tires, which re-winds the axle, which unloads the tires, etc etc etc. And the LCA bushings are only part of the equation, the UCA bushings contribute as well. The quad shocks damp that oscillation of the axle housing, reducing wheelhop.

You can also eliminate it for good by eliminating the ability of the axle to oscillate that way, either by a torque arm or by eliminating all bushing deflection. But by the time you get done eliminating all the bushing flex in the 4-link, you're left with a suspension that won't articulate much except for flex in the body mounts themselves.

Some people get lucky, some people don't. In my case, I had Global West LCA's with spherical bearing in one and and Delrin in the other (doesn't get much less deflection than that), with HD uppers, and I still had wheelhop that only fresh quad shocks would cure.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-22-2009, 04:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Save your money??? They are only $22.00 each at auto zone (just bought a pair last week). Cheap insurance if you ask me.

'86 G.T. vert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement